Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  526
Page 1 of 54 123456789101151 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Port Adelaide V Western Bulldogs - 2nd Preliminary Final 2021

Margin: Dogs by 4 points - through to our 4th grand final in another close one
    First goal: Macrae
    Best on ground: Libba
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Port Adelaide V Western Bulldogs - 2nd Preliminary Final 2021

For anyone in SA wanting access to tickets, they are going on sale Tomorrow!

Second Preliminary Final - Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs

The Western Bulldogs will play Port Adelaide in the second preliminary final on Saturday 11 September at the Adelaide Oval. The match start time is 7:40pm AEST (7:10pm ACST - local Adelaide time).

Club and AFL members will have access to preliminary final tickets during a priority on-sale between 12:30pm and 4:30pm AEST (12:00pm and 4:00pm ACST - local Adelaide time) on Monday 6 September 2021 via Ticketek.
    After this time, any remaining tickets will be opened to the general public for purchase from 5:30pm AEST (5:00pm ACST - local Adelaide time), Monday 6 September.

http://www.ticketek.com.au/aflfinals

Post Thanks / Like

WB by 10
    First goal Dunkley
    BOG Duryea
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

4. Likes bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone explain to me why we are heading to Perth and not Adelaide?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    It’s a guess. But Adelaide is a hotel. Perth is a resort. Plus if we win I imagine our ‘time served’ for WA freedom starts earlier so if we win we get to participate in the GF parade, Brownlow etc and have far more freedom.

But it’s a guess.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I'm guessing its got something to do with commencing WA quarantine period to enable the GF to go ahead there?

10. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's assume Bont plays and Cody misses which is the most likely scenario right now.

How do we win this?

They've got us covered in the ruck, their forward line is lethal with a mix of talls and potent smalls, and their defensive structure is rock solid. We may have a slight edge in the midfield but Wines, Boak, Drew and co aren't pushovers.

They've also had a week off to freshen up while we've travelled, locked down and then smashed ourselves to get over Brisbane.

Can someone make a case for us?

The fact we have to do any quarantine at all is garbage. The entire squad hasn't been in Victoria for weeks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We win this and outside of the two flags I would rate it as our next biggest win.

Post Thanks / Like

Port have also had a reserves side playing throughout the season in the SANFL, while our guys outside the 23 have sat on their hands for months. They're also the only side left to have had 2 genuine home finals.

If Port don't win it this year, they never will given all their advantages.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes Threedogs, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Let's assume Bont plays and Cody misses which is the most likely scenario right now.

How do we win this?

They've got us covered in the ruck, their forward line is lethal with a mix of talls and potent smalls, and their defensive structure is rock solid. We may have a slight edge in the midfield but Wines, Boak, Drew and co aren't pushovers.

They've also had a week off to freshen up while we've travelled, locked down and then smashed ourselves to get over Brisbane.

The fact we have to do any quarantine at all is garbage. The entire squad hasn't been in Victoria for weeks.
    Our defence is up to the task. The only beat us by two points last time. We’ve now got Gardner as well as Schache forward. I have supreme faith in of back 7. Keath kept Dixon to 0 goals last time.

I like English in the CBA and Young competing around the ground. As you say our mids are better pound for pound. We have an attacking winger and a good defensive winger. Treloar needs to do what he’s done his entire career, spend a good amount of time on ball. Dunkley to sit on the most appropriate target.

Forward with three talls. I’d play Smith off half forward. Give Hinkley something to think about. JJ for VDM, and use that speed to hopefully increase pressure, force turnovers and get repeat entries. Schache & Hannan are confidence players and played their best forward games with us/in years. Work out what to do with DBJ, Rich wasn’t to hurtful. Take out Allir with a good opponent and not bomb it long to him.

Weightman out? I want Marra. If you look at Combine results he’s quicker and higher jumper than Weightman and is a natural forward with X-Factor. He’s the closest thing. But not played as a KPF at all. Play him in the role Cody was. We desperately need natural forwards and not more players picked to play forward. Youth wasn’t an issue in 2016. The enthusiasm was a positive factor.

We beat them on them at Adelaide Oval in Round 9. The change is teams from that game to now is overall in our favour. We can take confidence and real belief from that win and being pipped by 2 points a few weeks ago. Gardner & Schache improve that result by more than 3 points.

They’re under pressure. We are fighting the world, they are fighting expectation and fighting the fear of losing deep into September again. They may rush Georgiades in, which could be a gamble.

We have improvement in us. Dunkley & Treloar can lift. Bonts can improve his goal kicking. The forward line leading patterns can improve. The Hybrids offer flexibility at either end if needed. Bailey Dale had his worst game of the year and I don’t think he’s repeating that. We need to start hot, kick the easy goals and keep the effort to the last siren. We need to keep the scoreboard ticking over and not clusters of goals around nothing like R23. The EF was 3 points at half time, and 1 point on Saturday. We’ve absorbed big hits and gone in at half team even. Then we’ve run the games out really well. So we know the guys are fit enough and switched on enough under pressure. The coaches need to devise a winning strategy for the game and workout the matchups that work for us.

We are up to this to our eyeballs. We are a 1 in 4 chance of being the Premier. The guys just need to do what they done for most of the year and beat an interstate opponent interstate. We’ve done it 7 times so far. 8 is the charm.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes DOG GOD, ratsmac, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Our defence is up to the task. The only beat us by two points last time. We’ve now got Gardner as well as Schache forward. I have supreme faith in of back 7. Keath kept Dixon to 0 goals last time.

I like English in the CBA and Young competing around the ground. As you say our mids are better pound for pound. We have an attacking winger and a good defensive winger. Treloar needs to do what he’s done his entire career, spend a good amount of time on ball. Dunkley to sit on the most appropriate target.

Forward with three talls. I’d play Smith off half forward. Give Hinkley something to think about. JJ for VDM, and use that speed to hopefully increase pressure, force turnovers and get repeat entries. Schache & Hannan are confidence players and played their best forward games with us/in years. Work out what to do with DBJ, Rich wasn’t to hurtful. Take out Allir with a good opponent and not bomb it long to him.

Weightman out? I want Marra. If you look at Combine results he’s quicker and higher jumper than Weightman and is a natural forward with X-Factor. He’s the closest thing. But not played as a KPF at all. Play him in the role Cody was. We desperately need natural forwards and not more players picked to play forward. Youth wasn’t an issue in 2016. The enthusiasm was a positive factor.

We beat them on them at Adelaide Oval in Round 9. The change is teams from that game to now is overall in our favour. We can take confidence and real belief from that win and being pipped by 2 points a few weeks ago. Gardner & Schache improve that result by more than 3 points.

They’re under pressure. We are fighting the world, they are fighting expectation and fighting the fear of losing deep into September again. They may rush Georgiades in, which could be a gamble.

We have improvement in us. Dunkley & Treloar can lift. Bonts can improve his goal kicking. The forward line leading patterns can improve. The Hybrids offer flexibility at either end if needed. Bailey Dale had his worst game of the year and I don’t think he’s repeating that. We need to start hot, kick the easy goals and keep the effort to the last siren. We need to keep the scoreboard ticking over and not clusters of goals around nothing like R23. The EF was 3 points at half time, and 1 point on Saturday. We’ve absorbed big hits and gone in at half team even. Then we’ve run the games out really well. So we know the guys are fit enough and switched on enough under pressure. The coaches need to devise a winning strategy for the game and workout the matchups that work for us.

We are up to this to our eyeballs. We are a 1 in 4 chance of being the Premier. The guys just need to do what they done for most of the year and beat an interstate opponent interstate. We’ve done it 7 times so far. 8 is the charm.
    OK, now we're talking!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

How do we win this?

We win this because we have done it before, and round 23 we were 15 points up with 10 min to go, and we won't blow a lead like that again.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Too soon, Too soon. Just sit back and take in the afterglow of last weekend before worrying about the next one, there will be plenty of time for that later in the week once we know where we sit with the availability of Bont and Fleabag. Soak it in Woofers.

22. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently the conditions in Perth are far less restrictive than in Adelaide, so we've elected to take the extra flight. Not sure about the cumulative time in quarantine aspect but assume it's playing a role too.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

24. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Apparently the conditions in Perth are far less restrictive than in Adelaide, so we've elected to take the extra flight. Not sure about the cumulative time in quarantine aspect but assume it's playing a role too.
    Yeah apparently we get to bank quarantine days. Means we we can be out of quarantine the Tuesday (if my maths is right) before the GF if we make it.

26. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post