Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  526
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Port Adelaide V Western Bulldogs - 2nd Preliminary Final 2021

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Let's assume Bont plays and Cody misses which is the most likely scenario right now.

How do we win this?

They've got us covered in the ruck, their forward line is lethal with a mix of talls and potent smalls, and their defensive structure is rock solid. We may have a slight edge in the midfield but Wines, Boak, Drew and co aren't pushovers.

They've also had a week off to freshen up while we've travelled, locked down and then smashed ourselves to get over Brisbane.

Can someone make a case for us?

The fact we have to do any quarantine at all is garbage. The entire squad hasn't been in Victoria for weeks.
    I really think Bevo & the group thrive off the ''against all odds'' motto... When we went 18 points down on Saturday night in the 3rd quarter I wasn't thinking we were going to throw in the towel, just like when we were 14pts down against GWS early in the last qtr of the '16 PF... we find a way to keep coming.

It will be so much easier with Bont & Cody out there this week, but as mentioned if they're ruled out we re-jig... again (Treloar into the middle and JJ into the forward-line) and give it our best shot. I'm comfortable knowing that when the ball gets bounced that we have the team to take it right up to Port... can't wait to see how we go.

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I really think Bevo & the group thrive off the ''against all odds'' motto... When we went 18 points down on Saturday night in the 3rd quarter I wasn't thinking we were going to throw in the towel, just like when we were 14pts down against GWS early in the last qtr of the '16 PF... we find a way to keep coming.

It will be so much easier with Bont & Cody out there this week, but as mentioned if they're ruled out we re-jig... again (Treloar into the middle and JJ into the forward-line) and give it our best shot. I'm comfortable knowing that when the ball gets bounced that we have the team to take it right up to Port... can't wait to see how we go.
    If Bont is out, who captains?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Is it really that important?

If so, and assuming Wallis doesn't play then the players can pick... maybe Libba or Keath.

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Has Hunter done enough post car incident to take it? I'd be ok with that personally.

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton to Captain. Give him the Carey like responsibility to rip all defenders to shreds. He will stand taller, on opponents heads. Dragging the rest along with him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

As hard of a task as it will be, Port aren't world beaters. For much of this year they looked well off the top 3 sides. Their second half of the year has been very good and they've obviously hit form at the right time, but we aren't playing a dominant Richmond of the previous 4 years at the MCG.

We can win this.

AT this point we need an even contribution with moments of brilliance (think Bailey Smith). For mine, this is a huge game for Treloar - this is EXACTLY what we got him to the club for.

I wonder if Richards will be a chance to play?
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Do we have anyone in the team with experience captaining in finals? If so they should probably do it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Thanks Doc26 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Do we have anyone in the team with experience captaining in finals? If so they should probably do it.
    If only there was some stupid, sexy man who fit the bill???

12. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    EW got called up to play this week?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Amazing to me this is in discussion. Of course Easton Wood is Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    EW got called up to play this week?
    Ha ha my nine year old yells me I could still play for the Bulldogs, so why the hell not.

The best part about it? SSEW would still be the right acronym.
    "It's over. It's all over."

16. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The captaincy wouldn’t be a major concern plenty of guys who can toss the coin. Most reports today so far hinting that Bont will play but hard to know if they are all just recycling one incorrect take.

We are definitely finding it harder to roll the mids through than we were earlier in the year. Throwing an option up for discussion, if we are looking to throw something different at them do we go Bont forward more often and early? I am talking regardless of injury as well, Port have just not been scored against for 7 weeks. We need to unsettle them and we have Smith and Treloar itching to get into the midfield.We know Drew will likely go to Libba so we have some flexibility there. We can’t sit Treloar at half forward for 4 qtrs and expect him to do any more than he did last week.

There is examples of these big moves in major finals backfiring horrendously and the odd case where they make a major difference. I expect us to be conservative but we do need to find a way to unsettle that backline. Maybe it’s the opposite and we go super mobile given their size but we are low on potent options there.

Odds are Bevo backs our mids in to get the job done and we hope that we can keep Port to around 60 points. It’s not a comfortable position to be going into a final but this one won’t be a blow out and was never going to be.

The other point I find bemusing is talk of Ports small forwards being significantly better than anything we have faced. We have already held them well twice this year and they are not significantly better than Cameron, Bailey , McCarthey and co. There is a bit more depth with them but they have a conundrum with their balance there.

18. Thanks Raw Toast thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just bought myself a ticket

Post Thanks / Like

Do we tag Boak this time? He really took us apart in round 23.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon if Drew goes to Libba then Libba should tag one of Wines or Boak, probably the former. It worked a treat against the Dees the second time and I’m not sure why the lever wasn’t pulled in round 23.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

23. Likes Testekill, BornInDroopSt'54, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Boak is their ROCK. Has got to be sat on.
    No funny games Bevo. TAG HIM.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

25. Likes bornadog, Testekill, josie liked this post