Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  295
Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2021 Trade Period Talk

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There was an exchange for first round picks. Port moved up 4 spots in the first round and then settled for a future 3rd rounder for Ladhams.

First-round draft picks were exchanged in the deal with the Power receiving pick 12 and a future third-round selection, while the Swans nabbed pick 16 as well as Ladhams.

The Swans have to wear a back ended contract.
    Unless we wanted to trade future picks, we had no hope of getting him.

I am happy that next year we will have all our picks and we can recruit some new young blood. The timing is perfect.
    FFC: Established 1877

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Surely we had a similar deal within our graspÖmakes me wonder what our salary cap looks likeÖ
    I think we can determine that we weren't in anyway interested. Ladhams might not be good for team culture.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I am happy that next year we will have all our picks and we can recruit some new young blood. The timing is perfect.
    I think it confirms that it wouldn't have cost a first round pick. A straight up 2nd rounder might have landed him.

What part of English being unsigned beyond next season, Martin's injury challenges and Young leaving us after being preferred over Sweet late in the year gives you comfort that we have it covered?

I wasn't big on bringing Ladhams in but I think we have left ourselves exposed in an area that has challenged us.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it confirms that it wouldn't have cost a first round pick. A straight up 2nd rounder might have landed him.

What part of English being unsigned beyond next season, Martin's injury challenges and Young leaving us after being preferred over Sweet late in the year gives you comfort that we have it covered?

I wasn't big on bringing Ladhams in but I think we have left ourselves exposed in an area that has challenged us.
    It is always easy to look at it as glass half empty.

On the flip side we have Steph an experienced ruckman that can work with the younger rucks.

Sweet is signed up for the next two years and has shown some signs of being able to play, English can only get better, and Darcy is coming on board as a future prospect. Schache is also a backup if injuries hit.

We went through 2021 with a variety of rucks and made a GF. We didn't lose the GF because of just rucks.

We still have the draft coming up and who knows what we do.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We were really reluctant to trade future picks (as were other clubs ... we weren't on our Pat here). I wonder if next year's class are better than this year's??
    WOOF Member 422

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is always easy to look at it as glass half empty.

On the flip side we have Steph an experienced ruckman that can work with the younger rucks.

Sweet is signed up for the next two years and has shown some signs of being able to play, English can only get better, and Darcy is coming on board as a future prospect. Schache is also a backup if injuries hit.

We went through 2021 with a variety of rucks and made a GF. We didn't lose the GF because of just rucks.

We still have the draft coming up and who knows what we do.
    I'm not sure it's a half empty assessment as you have highlighted. Many have been calling this out all season but if you don't think the warning lights are flashing just a bit that's OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure it's a half empty assessment as you have highlighted. Many have been calling this out all season but if you don't think the warning lights are flashing just a bit that's OK.
    You painted a worse case picture, I am giving you the positive side.

English maynot sign, Step injured, Young gone and Sweet not used in second half.

Post Thanks / Like

Re someone like Ceglar if we tabled an offer and he just didnít want to come over thereís little we can do.

Ladhams either we didnít want to pay the price or he didnít fit the culture.

Why Sinclair re-signed with the Swans is beyond me but thereís little can be done about that.

Iím just not sure we havenít tried and things just havenít fallen within the parameters weíve set, or players have said no.

It was a pretty lacklustre trade period.

12. Likes Scraggers, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cats have delisted Constable. I really like him as a player, and would be very happy to sign him up as a DFA. You can never have enough midfield depth in the modern game.
    We are the goon squad and we're coming to town. Beep Beep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    We were really reluctant to trade future picks (as were other clubs ... we weren't on our Pat here). I wonder if next year's class are better than this year's??
    We have Jordan Croft next year as a FS. Not sure where he fits in recruiters eyes but I know one scout is a fan.
    KPF of course.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Cats have delisted Constable. I really like him as a player, and would be very happy to sign him up as a DFA. You can never have enough midfield depth in the modern game.
    Good idea. Worth a rookie spot

Real Suprise they let him go. Big bodied mid .

How does he compare against our mids ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Was he a dogs fan? Can vaguely recall this in road to draft interview but might have my wires crossed.

Sedat-who does he remind you of & could he play that defensive mid role better than Dunkley? I recall he is a solid lad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Was he a dogs fan? Can vaguely recall this in road to draft interview but might have my wires crossed.

Sedat-who does he remind you of & could he play that defensive mid role better than Dunkley? I recall he is a solid lad.
    I think that was Fogerty who was a Dog's fan.

Post Thanks / Like

You painted a worse case picture, I am giving you the positive side.

English maynot sign, Step injured, Young gone and Sweet not used in second half.
    You were provided 'as is' observations not worst case scenario in fact from it.

The points above are reality and the reason why I think we should have looked harder at adding some options.

In fact you called out that ruck was a absolute need just a few weeks back so we were aligned then but not a day after the trade period ended.

I don't want too many hasbeens, unless it is an absolute need like Ruck.
    Then there was this in August

Better to get a ruckman and Tim play forward more
    And then this about trading English but apparently highlighting that he has deferred contract talks until the middle of next year is negative not reality.

Good tall players are hard to come by, especially with English's ability around the ground. They also take so long to develop.

No way I would trade him in a million years.
    And finally on Martin

This ^^

We need a ruckman that has a few years left him in as well, not a short term like a Martin.
    You've had some strong opinions on ruckman but now they're hard to get, cost a lot and what we have is good enough.

20. Likes soupman, Sedat, azabob, jeemak liked this post