Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  53
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

And here I was thinking that the curse was dead

Keath out has knocked me around a bit. So both bookends not there, our small clever pressure forward not there and the best player in the game going in underdone. Are we cursed? I thought winning the flag in 16 may have put an end to it but ever since then the injury gods and bloody covid have bent us over severely. All you ask for is a fair run at it but it hasn't been the case. If Melbourne don't win it this year they never will missing only Tomlinson from their best 22 and even though they have been forced into a change this week their team gets stronger as Smith was probably an out anyway. Every injury we cop is to a best 8-10 player. It's hard to take. I'm sure our boys will have a crack but it is now a bridge too far unfortunately.

2. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: And here I was thinking that the curse was dead

It is kind of hilarious that the only injury Melbourne cops in prelim week is to Joel Smith, while we lose Keath and Cody along with Bont under a cloud. Smith would literally be last picked in that side!

But we’re not without a chance and weird things can happen on prelim night. If we’re close late, Port will **** themselves.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I am confident with our talented midfield, we will get over Port. Port may have talent up forward, but they don't kick a lot of goals and their backline is undersized.

I am predicting Naughton will have a day out, and Dunkley and Treloar will help share more of the midfield load taken on by Bont and Macrae. Libba needs to also have a big game.

I was more worried about the Essendon game, but Prelims are not easy, and after beating Brisbane at their fortress, I have regained my confidence.

Port have lost at Adelaide oval to us, Dees and Cats - Go Dogs!!!

All even at half time, then -

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne have had a dream run at it, but Port have had a legup this year almost so much that you’d have to consider an * if they win it all. It hasn’t been a level playing field at all.

The injuries certainly haven’t been balanced. How one side can lose their leading goal kicker, best defender, best small forward and have an injury cloud over their best player, while another club only loses their 22nd best player is just cruel.

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne won't even get over the line tonight.

A classic bed shitting is on the cards, and Port are in the gun for it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes bornadog, Twodogs, Happy Days, 1eyedog, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It is kind of hilarious that the only injury Melbourne cops in prelim week is to Joel Smith, while we lose Keath and Cody along with Bont under a cloud. Smith would literally be last picked in that side!

But we’re not without a chance and weird things can happen on prelim night. If we’re close late, Port will **** themselves.
    That Smith injury isn't even real. Dees are just so in their head about this being a feel good triumph that they're making sure no one can get their feelings hurt under any circumstances; Smith can't rightfully get dropped after letting Cameron kick 5 goals from the 10 or so i50s the Lions got, he has to be injured and out for the season and don't we all feel so bad for him.

See also - the unbelievably washed Nathan Jones "beating the door down".
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are a 1 in 3 Chance to be Premier as of 12 hours time.

Right now I’m not prepared to go even close to Jones Town final act. I’m going to enjoy this 2021 ride until the last second.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That Smith injury isn't even real. Dees are just so in their head about this being a feel good triumph that they're making sure no one can get their feelings hurt under any circumstances; Smith can't rightfully get dropped after letting Cameron kick 5 goals from the 10 or so i50s the Lions got, he has to be injured and out for the season and don't we all feel so bad for him.

See also - the unbelievably washed Nathan Jones "beating the door down".
    I can't wait for them to crumble.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

So we’re going for geelong tonight or….?

I hate Geelong. But having them make the GF is good for 2 reasons.
    1) I like our chances better than against melb (not that it would be a big difference. If we get up tomorrow, it’ll be pretty much our cup).
    2) Whatever happens tomorrow, I’ll have a clear team to barrack against in the GF. Nothing worse than watching a game where you don’t care who wins or loses (ie each Anzac Day game. I hate both teams so never watch it).

14. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    So we’re going for geelong tonight or….?

I hate Geelong. But having them make the GF is good for 2 reasons.
    1) I like our chances better than against melb (not that it would be a big difference. If we get up tomorrow, it’ll be pretty much our cup).
    2) Whatever happens tomorrow, I’ll have a clear team to barrack against in the GF. Nothing worse than watching a game where you don’t care who wins or loses (ie each Anzac Day game. I hate both teams so never watch it).
    Whomever gets the most 3+ week injuries to decent players. We’ve beat Port Adelaide & Melbourne at their home grounds and was in front at final siren vs Geelong at The Tax Payers Stadium.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I remember watching a Larry Bird interview. I found it paraphrased on Reddit.

Larry Bird said they were in some cold weather city getting ready to fly to their game in New Jersey, there was a storm and there flight got cancelled. They couldn't get to a hotel so they had to stay at the airport all night and the next day just eating hot dogs. They finally got a flight to NJ and didn't even have time to go to the hotel, just straight to the game. When Bird stepped on the court he said to the Nets: "Don't take this ass whooping personally, but I've been tired all day and eating hot dogs." The Celtics went on to blow them out behind a huge game from Bird.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    The injuries certainly haven’t been balanced. How one side can lose their leading goal kicker, best defender, best small forward and have an injury cloud over their best player, while another club only loses their 22nd best player is just cruel.
    Which will make victory all the SWEETER.

Can we beat Port 10 times without Alex Keath? Probs not. But we only have to beat them once.

This game will be over before half time and our lead will exceed 7-goals. Mark it down. With every (Dogs) player who goes down, the pressure on the Power builds. They have had a week off. Their opponents have flown from Tassie to Brisbane to Perth to Adelaide. They have had to travel around the corner to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of milk (maybe). Their opponents look like they have key players dropping out of the side - they have (with the exception of a 19yo kid with potential who has yet to put together 3-good games in a row) a FULL SQUAD to choose from. They have NO EXCUSES. They JUST MISSED OUT last year. JUST. This is their time.

It's gonna get to them. They are gonna crack. Our players/staff have overcome a lot in the last few weeks - criticism in the media etc not the least of it...hell, there was a thread on here a few weeks ago asking for the coach to be sacked.

It's gonna be OK. We will win this game going away.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Slap Stef around before the game. He'll play angry, and let's not forget English beat the Big O in the last quarter lats week for hit-outs and impact around the ground. Stef busts his arse in the first three quarters then can hyperventilate on the bench while we defend a lead.

We arguably have a better record as underdogs than we do as favourites. Treloar is due a big one. Dunkley has had the acid put on him. Libba won't want to get beaten twice. Port deserve to be favourites but we absolutely can win this.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I do not want Geel to win.
    If by a miracle we made the GF and lost to Geel, I couldn’t stomach the fact that our club gave Dangerfield a premiership medal, so I’ll be cheering on melb like it’s the dogs.
    With that being said, in round 21 I predicted a Geel/Port GF on the ladder predictor, so with that, I’m expecting Geel to win tonight.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I do not want Geel to win.
    If by a miracle we made the GF and lost to Geel, I couldn’t stomach the fact that our club gave Dangerfield a premiership medal, so I’ll be cheering on melb like it’s the dogs.
    With that being said, in round 21 I predicted a Geel/Port GF on the ladder predictor, so with that, I’m expecting Geel to win tonight.
    Yes, I prefer Melbourne make it. I didn't want Geelong anywhere near yet another GF
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Likes DOG GOD, josie, Max469 liked this post