Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  53
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: And here I was thinking that the curse was dead

I actually don't care who wins it if it isn't us.
    As long as Essendon's winless finals streak continues I can take solace in any AFL season outcome.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I do not want Geel to win.
    If by a miracle we made the GF and lost to Geel, I couldn’t stomach the fact that our club gave Dangerfield a premiership medal, so I’ll be cheering on melb like it’s the dogs.
    With that being said, in round 21 I predicted a Geel/Port GF on the ladder predictor, so with that, I’m expecting Geel to win tonight.
    But think how sweet it will be to deny Geelong the cup.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    But think how sweet it will be to deny Geelong the cup.
    They’ve won I think it’s 22 of the last 23 from memory. Plus handing them the after the siren win. That’s some scar tissue we need to overcome.

Amazing if we did it. 20 H&A wins is *!*!*!*! all compared to a flag.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    They’ve won I think it’s 22 of the last 23 from memory. Plus handing them the after the siren win. That’s some scar tissue we need to overcome.

Amazing if we did it. 20 H&A wins is *!*!*!*! all compared to a flag.
    I never once thought anything could top 2016. But a scenario of winning tomorrow night and defeating geelong in a grand final might just do it after everything we’ve been through.

6. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I never once thought anything could top 2016. But a scenario of winning tomorrow night and defeating geelong in a grand final might just do it after everything we’ve been through.
    I fear for our followers. My dear old nan said she’d die happy if we won the GF. Didn’t last a whole lot longer.

Doing Geelong in a GF. I think my extended family will shrink. That will kill more people than COVID has nationwide.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I fear for our followers. My dear old nan said she’d die happy if we won the GF. Didn’t last a whole lot longer.

Doing Geelong in a GF. I think my extended family will shrink. That will kill more people than COVID has nationwide.
    My family will shrink too but nobody lives forever and looking on the bright side they'll die happy.

Very, very happy!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Which will make victory all the SWEETER.

Can we beat Port 10 times without Alex Keath? Probs not. But we only have to beat them once.

This game will be over before half time and our lead will exceed 7-goals. Mark it down. With every (Dogs) player who goes down, the pressure on the Power builds. They have had a week off. Their opponents have flown from Tassie to Brisbane to Perth to Adelaide. They have had to travel around the corner to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of milk (maybe). Their opponents look like they have key players dropping out of the side - they have (with the exception of a 19yo kid with potential who has yet to put together 3-good games in a row) a FULL SQUAD to choose from. They have NO EXCUSES. They JUST MISSED OUT last year. JUST. This is their time.

It's gonna get to them. They are gonna crack. Our players/staff have overcome a lot in the last few weeks - criticism in the media etc not the least of it...hell, there was a thread on here a few weeks ago asking for the coach to be sacked.

It's gonna be OK. We will win this game going away.

It feels a bit like the 1998 prelim final but in reverse. We were desperately unlucky to lose the prelim final in 1997, we cruised into the prelim in 1998, we were overwhelming favourite to win the 1998 prelim because everything seemed to have fallen into place for us- the game was in our home state and Adelaide had to travel to Victoria, we were an inform team, our opponents had come from outside the top four (Adelaide had finished 5th like we did this year) and we were set to avenge the unlucky loss we'd had in the same game the year before. We had to win. It was the only thing that made any sense.

In a nice bit of symmetry we were 34 points down at half time and went on to lose by 68 points.

11. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It was the only thing that made any sense.

In a nice bit of symmetry we were 34 points down at half time and went on to lose by 68 points.
    I thought we were cooked that day...had just been looking and playing tired since we lost that R#22 game (and top spot) to North. Today we'll be fine.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought we were cooked that day...had just been looking and playing tired since we lost that R#22 game (and top spot) to North. Today we'll be fine.
    I thought we were still going to win at 1/2 time. IIRC we kicked the first 2 goals of the 3rd before Grant marked about 30m from goal directly in front. He handballed to Hudson running past, but we fluffed it and Adel held firm. They kicked the next and once we were done our heads dropped and Adel kicked away.

If Grant goes back and kicks the goal, and given he was just about the best player in the competition at the time he should’ve, then we carry all the momentum and who knows where it takes us.

Oh, the memories!

14. Likes Raw Toast, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I thought we were still going to win at 1/2 time. IIRC we kicked the first 2 goals of the 3rd before Grant marked about 30m from goal directly in front. He handballed to Hudson running past, but we fluffed it and Adel held firm. They kicked the next and once we were done our heads dropped and Adel kicked away.

If Grant goes back and kicks the goal, and given he was just about the best player in the competition at the time he should’ve, then we carry all the momentum and who knows where it takes us.

Oh, the memories!
    All I can remember about that game is we made Robran look like Carey.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just become a dad for the first time about a month before. I reckon that I slept through most of the game. He's 23 now and ironically I'm still up most nights with him. It's EPL tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    All I can remember about that game is we made Robran look like Carey.
    Rohan Smith manned him up so it's not surprising. Bubba was a great player but playing as a tall defender wasn't exactly his one wood.

Post Thanks / Like

Hadn't we only played one final after that v the Eagles and pounded them?
    I remember being confident in a prelim for the first time ever. Wrong bet! Plus I think somehow the Crows lost in the first week from outside the top 4 and stayed in the finals. It was the old final 8 system.

Edit :another memory from that day was someone in the dogs cheer squad where I was sitting someone actually had a pole with a real dead crow on the end of it. No joke.

18. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Hadn't we only played one final after that v the Eagles and pounded them?
    I remember being confident in a prelim for the first time ever. Wrong bet! Plus I think somehow the Crows lost in the first week from outside the top 4 and stayed in the finals. It was the old final 8 system.

Edit :another memory from that day was someone in the dogs cheer squad where I was sitting actually had a pole with a real dead crow on the end of it. No joke.
    It was going to be redemption for 97, we were sitting pretty with a fit and rested squad, blah blah blah. In many ways even more disappointing than 97 in terms of what we produced on the day compared to how we’d performed through the year.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    It was going to be redemption for 97, we were sitting pretty with a fit and rested squad, blah blah blah. In many ways even more disappointing than 97 in terms of what we produced on the day compared to how we’d performed through the year.
    Yes agree TBT it was the expectation of redemption. Think in 99 we played them at the G and came from behind with Powell kicking a few late ones. I remember feeling like I'd got some payback that day... But not really. It was fleeting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yes agree TBT it was the expectation of redemption. Think in 99 we played them at the G and came from behind with Powell kicking a few late ones. I remember feeling like I'd got some payback that day... But not really. It was fleeting.
    That never works does it. Even if we’d prevailed in 98, we’d never get back 97. It’s always so important to seize the day and every moment in it. You don’t ever know what’s ahead… to be one win from a grand final is a difficult pinnacle to reach in itself. You can never assume you’ll automatically be thereabouts the next year.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

22. Likes Grantysghost, DOG GOD, macca liked this post