Thanks Thanks:  33
Likes Likes:  181
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread - 2021 AFL Grand Final vs Melbourne

I just hope that there's no late news on Saturday that Stef or Keithy are late withdrawls. Both are going to be critical.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is the best team we have put up all year, on paper. Possibly even in my lifetime.

A proper ruck.
    A genuine full-back.
    A match-winning full forward.
    6 elite midfielders - Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley, Treloar, Baz.
    3 AA half-backs - Daniel, Wood and Dale.

And the other players are equally as good. I'm excited.

Post Thanks / Like

Every player that misses out will not be forgotten.
    Mitch Wallis Bob Murphy ( last time around) Ryan Gardner, Jongy and many others. We are standing on the shoulders of giants, lots of guys having given their all during the home and away season and made a contribution as best they could. We salute you.

Daniel Cross, Chris Grant, Mitch Hahn, many very unlucky players, fully deserving of being in a final, having given their all for the club. This list represents the lineage of Bulldog determination. Go dogs!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, always hurts for these guys that miss. It's no surprise really, someone had to make way for Weightman, someone had to make way for Keith.

It's taken me a while but I've really warmed to Gardner, ball in hand my heart still stops but find him very reliable defensively.

5. Likes Testekill, JohnGentStand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is the bottom five of your team that win you the premiership.
    Our bottom looks great.

7. Likes josie, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    It is the bottom five of your team that win you the premiership.
    Our bottom looks great.
    Yep. Equal to Kim Kardashian.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Wait JJ is locked in the 22 i thought? Med sub from Dutchy, Scottie, Rusty and the horticulturalist?
    Anglo is at FF.
    Last edited by BornInDroopSt'54; 25-09-2021 at 01:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

When would Ed Richards have last played a competitive game of football? I like the idea of him as a sub, but I think we will fall to VDM as long as we are confident in his hamstring.

If fit, my rankings for sub would be:
    Richards
    VDM
    Scott
    Gardner (I think we can cover most of our talls by rearranging the others, if we are unfortunate enough to get an injury)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    When would Ed Richards have last played a competitive game of football? I like the idea of him as a sub, but I think we will fall to VDM as long as we are confident in his hamstring.

If fit, my rankings for sub would be:
    Richards
    VDM
    Scott
    Gardner (I think we can cover most of our talls by rearranging the others, if we are unfortunate enough to get an injury)
    I agree. Bold move to bring Red Ed back in, but gee it would be good to see him out there!

Post Thanks / Like

Might be nonsense however a few BF posters said VDM has been told he is sub.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy if VDM is the sub. His legs late in the game would be handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of hamstrings of Keath, VDM, JJ, Woody and Dees May too.

For those of you who have played footy - is it less likely to suffer hamstring injuries or exacerbate existing ones if the weather is warmer?

I’m torn b/w Richards and VDM as sub - both are quick and I would have thought Richards a bit more adaptable to different positions however VDMs pressure has been important in finals thus far. Coin toss stuff. I trust MC to make best call.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    For those of you who have played footy - is it less likely to suffer hamstring injuries or exacerbate existing ones if the weather is warmer?
    Probably less likely overall. Tears can come from not being warmed up, or cooling down then going again, those are reduced by warmer weather. However you can also get tears from muscle fatigue late in the piece which warm weather exacerbates
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Thinking of hamstrings of Keath, VDM, JJ, Woody and Dees May too.

I’m torn b/w Richards and VDM as sub - both are quick and I would have thought Richards a bit more adaptable to different positions however VDMs pressure has been important in finals thus far. Coin toss stuff. I trust MC to make best call.
    From my experience they were caused by being ill-prepared and just not doing the right strength/ remedial work, coupled with a particular body type and proneness to the injury. I never really ever ripped mine apart, but pinged them often due to back related and body type issues.

Apart from proneness I don't think the issues I had would translate to the AFL providing the players are doing the right thing with their rehab and strength/ remedial work (and I definitely doubt the players you mention were at Brown Alley until well after sunrise listening to prog/ techno post injury or in rehab - or well at least I hope not!).

What has been shown is that repeated maximum effort and fatigue related to that can increase the likelihood of the injury occurring. As a 183cm and a bit fat utility (how's that for a footy card classification slap in the face) in the ammos I often found myself on some really quick and young forwards who had been through the elite pathway and just had me sprinting all day. A few times they pinged because of the sheer intent and effort needed to keep up with them.

There's also the stabilising type which is what we saw with Jongy this year and the most common reason I pinged mine. It happens when there's strain on the hamstring when a leg is planted. I most often felt the ping on the lower/ middle and outside of the hamstring towards the quad rather than further up and centre/ high.

With the likes of JJ and VDM I think they're probably more prone to the former type, and they seem to be worse. Not sure what happened with Keath and May, however theirs didn't seem like full steam ahead type pings.

As for whether it's cold or warm, I've done them in all seasons and AFL players do as well. I think sometimes they go and sometimes they don't and it's probably more to do with body and preparation rather than the conditions on the day.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently May played with a 6cm hamstring tear. We really didn’t make him do enough. Could have exposed that. But really prob wouldn’t have mattered when our mids gave up easy ball.