Thanks Thanks:  33
Likes Likes:  181
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread - 2021 AFL Grand Final vs Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Our clearance and contested ball numbers were outrageous in the first 6 rounds of the season when Stef was playing. He completely smothered Lycett, who was so destructive against us in R22 - no surprise that our mids dominated with him back on the weekend.

His presence also makes English twice as dangerous as both a key forward and a relief ruckman. I wonder if the prelim was the plan all along with Stef, knowing his age and the ability to get an extra week off to freshen up, and we had to hold fort using Young and others while the cavalry arrived.
    We're infinitely better with an actual ruckman and Stef playing is irrefutable evidence of this.

Gawn is a fine player, but surely it's impossible to replicate that quarter again. That's lightning in a bottle stuff.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    We're infinitely better with an actual ruckman and Stef playing is irrefutable evidence of this.

Gawn is a fine player, but surely it's impossible to replicate that quarter again. That's lightning in a bottle stuff.
    I still remember that pre season game (I know) but Martin was annoying the bejesus out of Gawn at stoppages around the ground.
    I was sat in pretty much the bench and you could see him continuously whinging to the umpires.

Love it he's back with a run under his belt. It will just negate the demolition scenario we saw with Stanley.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I still remember that pre season game (I know) but Martin was annoying the bejesus out of Gawn at stoppages around the ground.
    I was sat in pretty much the bench and you could see him continuously whinging to the umpires.

Love it he's back with a run under his belt. It will just negate the demolition scenario we saw with Stanley.
    His experience with Gawn will be massive. Played with him and then a decade or so against him. That kind of physical experience over a very long time within our number one ruck is a great thing to have. He knows his moves, his technique, how to position against him, defend him, work off him to his mids, will know the plan a & b. That real life match experience that only he has on our list.

He’s blown out the cobwebs and five frees against. 68% game time. Hopefully after two weeks he’s feeling better and can nudge over 70% game time.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Confident Martin can provide a contest at centre bounce and stoppages, the concern is what Gawn can do running forward.

I think minimising Gawn and one of Petracca/Oliver (both ideally, but at least 1) is the real key. Do that and we win.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    His experience with Gawn will be massive. Played with him and then a decade or so against him. That kind of physical experience over a very long time within our number one ruck is a great thing to have. He knows his moves, his technique, how to position against him, defend him, work off him to his mids, will know the plan a & b. That real life match experience that only he has on our list.

He’s blown out the cobwebs and five frees against. 68% game time. Hopefully after two weeks he’s feeling better and can nudge over 70% game time.
    This is a Gawn quote on Stef, Max won't have things all his own way this time.

“Stef is purely one of the strongest players I’ve ever played,” Gawn once told the Herald Sun.

“He’s an amazingly strong person and you get caught anywhere on a bad angle with him and he’ll just put you on your ass.”

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully that’s exactly what Stef does.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve heard the name Max Gawn about 283628727 times since Friday night alone. I know Melbourne are trying to break a huge drought, and that he is their in-form captain and spiritual leader.

However.

I hope he sheds one single tear at the final siren, knowing what could have been, as our boys roar into the sky in triumph.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to see what the Bont can produce after a week off, it's exactly what he needed I reckon.

Good news re VDM if he does come up you still get a medal for being the sub, his attack on the ball was excellent last week deserves to play a role for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel sick about Wally missing out again.

Can't make the case for him to quite push into the 23.....but its a heart breaker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Feel sick about Wally missing out again.

Can't make the case for him to quite push into the 23.....but its a heart breaker.
    There is going to be some uncomfortably brutal hard luck stories.

I don’t know if this has been said, but I assume that an unused medical sub would still get a medal on the day? For me, if that is the case, it just strengthens the argument that everyone on the playing list should get one.

Post Thanks / Like

Gawn will have Stef for aerobic capacity, he's very underrated in that department.
    Let's not forget that English played virtually a solo ruck role in the last quarter against Brisbane and beat the Big O. English can run, he might be the best match up for Jackson/Gawn late in the game after Stef has softened him up.
    I expect Stef will probably managed to get his TOG numbers up a bit, from say 68% against Port to 75% in the big dance.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    There is going to be some uncomfortably brutal hard luck stories.

I don’t know if this has been said, but I assume that an unused medical sub would still get a medal on the day? For me, if that is the case, it just strengthens the argument that everyone on the playing list should get one.
    Yes the medi sub definitely gets a medal.

Will be interesting to see if the medical sub is strategically used by both (or either) team.
    I would expect that someone will be told that they are doing a calf some time either side of 3 quarter time if there aren't any injuries already.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Yes the medi sub definitely gets a medal.

Will be interesting to see if the medical sub is strategically used by both (or either) team.
    I would expect that someone will be told that they are doing a calf some time either side of 3 quarter time if there aren't any injuries already.
    100% guaranteed both will be used. You’d be stupid not to. There’s no game the following week so no one will even know if there was a legit injury or not.

The way things have gone for both clubs, we’ll certainly have to use ours for a legit injury whereas Melbourne will use theirs strategically.

Post Thanks / Like

Nathan Jones has officially retired. Hopefully they can do his career justice and lose on purpose by 120 points.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Likes Mantis, hujsh, EasternWest, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Nathan Jones has officially retired. Hopefully they can do his career justice and lose on purpose by 120 points.
    Like This?

http://www.demonwiki.org/Round+15+1985
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

20. Likes bornadog, DOG GOD liked this post