Thanks Thanks:  33
Likes Likes:  181
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Thread - 2021 AFL Grand Final vs Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The curve ball. Last time we played them at the MCG, we went in with Keath, Cordy & Schache as defenders for McDonald, Brown and Jackson/Gawn. So we though we needed three KPDs. Then Keath got injured and it was just Schache & Cordy. Then we won. So the question I guess is do we NEED a third KPD?
    Port had the three tonight
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So are we wearing the white strip?

3. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The curve ball. Last time we played them at the MCG, we went in with Keath, Cordy & Schache as defenders for McDonald, Brown and Jackson/Gawn. So we though we needed three KPDs. Then Keath got injured and it was just Schache & Cordy. Then we won. So the question I guess is do we NEED a third KPD?
    If we were were to go in with 3 talls who slides out?
    I think it will be Keath for Cordy but I do like the idea of the 3rd tall
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think Roarke is the next most vulnerable. One of JJ and Vandermeer will be demoted to sub but not both.

Everyone else in the side is decidedly not fringe or plays a specific role (Schache) and has been doing it well. Wood is probably the most likely I guess but has been really good this finals series and was good tonight.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I think Roarke is the next most vulnerable. One of JJ and Vandermeer will be demoted to sub but not both.

Everyone else in the side is decidedly not fringe or plays a specific role (Schache) and has been doing it well. Wood is probably the most likely I guess but has been really good this finals series and was good tonight.
    So we would go into the game with 8 defenders in Keath, Gardner, Cordy, Wood, Dale, Williams, Duryea and Daniel? I know we can move Daniel into other roles but it looks just a bit unbalanced.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post

It's tough but I'd actually be dropping Roake for Weightman and leaving VDM / JJ in.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

So we would go into the game with 8 defenders in Keath, Gardner, Cordy, Wood, Dale, Williams, Duryea and Daniel? I know we can move Daniel into other roles but it looks just a bit unbalanced.
    Basically I don't see it happening. If you wanted to maintain a bit of balance it's Wood, but no way is he being dropped. If you are bringing Keath in and want to play three tall defenders then that leaves you with Wood, Dale, Williams, Duryea and Daniel from that list. No chance any of them gets omitted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    It's tough but I'd actually be dropping Roake for Weightman and leaving VDM / JJ in.
    I'd be open to that, but there is a role for him on Langdon (and from recollection he did a good job there last time round).

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A hypothetical for a third tall.

This was my side from the last page with Keath & Cody for Cordy & VDM. Amended now with another tall, in Cordy. Who has Grand Final experience. The 7th defender is Wood as I just don’t see him being dropped. Daniel plays wherever he wants. Roarke Smith is the one that possibly becomes the sub. In 2016 we had Morris, Hamling & Roberts as three KPDs.

B: Duryea Keath Cordy
    HB: Dale Gardner Williams
    C: Hunter Bonts B. Smith
    HF: JJ Schache Treloar
    F: Hannan Naughton Weightman
    R: Martin Libba Macrae
    Int: English, Daniel, Dunkley, Wood
    Sub from: R. Smith, VDM, Scott, Richards

10 Premiership Players: Duryea, Wood, Hunter, Bontempelli, JJ, Libba, Macrae, Daniel, Dunkley, Cordy
    1 GF Experience: Treloar

Melbourne: 0
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    From Bevo’s presser VDM is doubtful. Also if we bring Keath back in doubt we’d have 2 players with recent hamstrings in team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    So are we wearing the white strip?
    When we have played Melbourne as the away team we have worn our white strip. My guess is yes.

15. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    From Bevo’s presser VDM is doubtful. Also if we bring Keath back in doubt we’d have 2 players with recent hamstrings in team.
    Chris Grant told Tom Morris that another day and Keath would’ve played. And Keath is certain for the GF.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Thanks josie, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We go with our best defencive set up, and don't give a shit about whether they play one or two more whatevers or one or two less.

Keath in, Cordy out.
    Cody in, Latham out.

I love Latham but I can't trust him and his legs. It's just been too much disruption this season. On the other hand JJ was just too good to ignore tonight. If BOG was awarded on roles he would be in the top ten on the ground for the evening.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gee this is where it gets tricky. Every dynasty has a story or two of players missing out and no doubt we will have a few examples this time around too.

Questions:
    Will Martin recover well and be better for the run? Hope so
    Will VDM recover, or become to great a risk? Really hard to know but the way it was positioned with his soft tissue history and the type of role we ask him to play, it may make it tough.
    How many tall defenders do we need? In some ways it may depend on the weather. 3 key defenders seems sensible but would not drop one of our small / medium defenders.
    How many tall forwards do we need? With Lever and May I think 3 talls at most stages will give us the right look. Gee the forwards worked incredibly well together last night. More of that.

I’ll hold off for a week or so before having a go at a best 23.

At this stage, Keath and Weightman in.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin injured ankle, VDM Hammy. Bevo said that VDM is doubtful but seemed more confident with Martin.

My gut says VDM our for Weightman. Someone is going to be very unlucky for Keath to come in.