Re: We are in the Grand final 2021 edition

Quote Originally Posted by LostDog View Post
    I must be Charlie Sutton got the Priority 1 email for my partner and myself
    Best investment I made this year
    That’s what I did in 2016!

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we didn't have 2016, the 2 week lead in this year would be unbearable but I'm pretty grateful for the break to be honest. Get this week to reflect on the prelim win, chill and then get into the build up next week. Obviously spewing most of us can't go, though.

Anyone else like that we have a chance to chill or would you prefer to get straight into it?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m happy to chill. Soak up the fact we’re in a grand final again. 2 weeks off before the finals/prelim is/would be a lot more excruciating. Having your club in a grand final doesn’t normally come around too often so I’m going to make the most of it.

I’m also glad we have 2016. We’ve lived the normal experience we’re all used to. And we’ve won it.

5. Likes Eastdog, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If we didn't have 2016, the 2 week lead in this year would be unbearable but I'm pretty grateful for the break to be honest. Get this week to reflect on the prelim win, chill and then get into the build up next week. Obviously spewing most of us can't go, though.

Anyone else like that we have a chance to chill or would you prefer to get straight into it?
    We've been in lockdown for 220 days (and counting) in Melbourne, so I'm just thankful that there is still another 2 weeks of something to look forward to before the footy season finishes.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I’m happy to chill. Soak up the fact we’re in a grand final again. 2 weeks off before the finals/prelim is/would be a lot more excruciating. Having your club in a grand final doesn’t normally come around too often so I’m going to make the most of it.

I’m also glad we have 2016. We’ve lived the normal experience we’re all used to. And we’ve won it.
    Since 2016 - Most Grand Finals

Richmond 3
    Bulldogs 2
    Geelong 1
    GWS 1
    WCE 1
    Collingwood 1
    Sydney 1
    Adelaide 1
    Melbourne 1
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes EasternWest, azabob, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can’t decide if the longer build up will help/hinder the cruel adjustment to the idea that we won’t be there considering our club has been so starved of grand finals in all our lifetimes. Last time all the little things were so special. I remember my son sending me a photo of our name being painted on the ‘g at the start of the week, seeing all the buzz around the city (I’d always been so envious of office workers wearing their scarves on the train). No GF parade, no training sessions. It really does suck.

It’s a forlorn hope but I wonder/ hope if fully vaccinated people could be allowed to visit each other’s homes on GF Day, or whether the authorities would allow strictly controlled outdoor gatherings for vaccinated fans e.g. the big screen at Whitten Oval, with measures like tests beforehand, only able to sit in family groups of a given number with it being strictly enforced, staggered entry times. It would be a great PR exercise too in what the new covid normal would look like.

Footy barracking is all about people. To not be able to share GF Day with people I love when we all sat together for umpteen miserable seasons or finals obliterations will hit me really hard as the days go on.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We've been in lockdown for 220 days (and counting) in Melbourne, so I'm just thankful that there is still another 2 weeks of something to look forward to before the footy season finishes.
    That's a good point.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I can’t decide if the longer build up will help/hinder the cruel adjustment to the idea that we won’t be there considering our club has been so starved of grand finals in all our lifetimes. Last time all the little things were so special. I remember my son sending me a photo of our name being painted on the ‘g at the start of the week, seeing all the buzz around the city (I’d always been so envious of office workers wearing their scarves on the train). No GF parade, no training sessions. It really does suck.

It’s a forlorn hope but I wonder/ hope if fully vaccinated people could be allowed to visit each other’s homes on GF Day, or whether the authorities would allow strictly controlled outdoor gatherings for vaccinated fans e.g. the big screen at Whitten Oval, with measures like tests beforehand, only able to sit in family groups of a given number with it being strictly enforced, staggered entry times. It would be a great PR exercise too in what the new covid normal would look like.

Footy barracking is all about people. To not be able to share GF Day with people I love when we all sat together for umpteen miserable seasons or finals obliterations will hit me really hard as the days go on.
    We might need a big WOOF Zoom meeting.

13. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

67C47409-DC43-45F4-BED1-F1A3E3A76F46.jpeg

Saw this poster in shop window yesterday.

If numbers stabilise or decrease in next week maybe government will ease some restrictions. My gut feeling says this will not happen though. And if it does guessing changes will be minimal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I've got a massive hangover today, it's my Birthday, and I've never felt so good.
    How awesome is this club??
    What a great birthday present!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post

It’s little consolation, but after sharing your thoughts with us for nearly a decade we are all a surrogate online family to you, for you and with you. And for everyone. It sucks. But if we didn’t have WOOF and each other it’d suck a lot more. We know we share a crazy amount of love for this club and have each other as a channel of that and for that. I won’t have family next week either, but after so long together from years to decades, this is easily my plan b. And with a young enough list and won’t throw it away again. There will be more opportunities. For me, I can’t change Covid and the laws. But I can control having as much his damn fun for two weeks and hopefully months after. Just don’t forget to have fun with our boys in their second GF in six years and being rewarded with Sam Darcy soon after.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    His wife is due to give birth so he made a hard decision easy for the club.

Jones - hey Goody I think I might go back to Vic to be with my wife to give birth

Goodwin - OK

Jones - well alright I'm leaving now

Goodwin - see ya

Jones - if I go I can't get back in time for the grand final

Goodwin - yeah I know

Jones. - Alright then I've organised my ticket.

Goodwin - No worries mate

Jones -Taxi is here

Goodwin - So I see

Jones - I've played 300 games without a Grand Final you know

Goodwin - You're starting to gild the lily a bit mate...
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

19. Likes jeemak, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really loved the build up to the 2016 GF, soaking in the training day, the parade, discussions, getting tickets etc etc and the final build up. W

Will miss that this time, but with the lockdown, two weeks is much better.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I really loved the build up to the 2016 GF, soaking in the training day, the parade, discussions, getting tickets etc etc and the final build up. W

Will miss that this time, but with the lockdown, two weeks is much better.
    It's going to burn to not be allowed to have a celebration at Whitten oval the day after the GF. Hopefully at some stage when the lockdown is over and we are able to do it the club will organise something.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

22. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I've got a massive hangover today, it's my Birthday, and I've never felt so good.
    How awesome is this club??
    Happy birthday bud!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.