Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Charlie Dixon THAT Good?

Yes, he’s good. But is he that good?

3 Games this year vs WBFC, for 4 Goals. 2 losses, one win by 2 points.

Or, do we defend him really well?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Charlie Dixon THAT Good?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Its realistically not his fault, the way the power play means he is often the lone tall, and when their one paced mids cant get it in quick hes doomed.

The last couple of years their smalls have what has given everyone a heartache, but they have also fallen off a cliff, Gray is an incredible footballer, but its passed him now, Motlop the same. Some great up and coming kids; Rozzee and butters are awesome, but they need to do a bit of a refresh.

I cant see them challenging again for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

North Melbourne supporting WOOF member Roscoe_G reached out to me last night posing the same question and we agreed that he is a player that occasionally turns it on for 10 or 15 minutes a game.
    It's hard for forwards now but Dixon has an inflated profile when compared to many of his performances.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He has done his job on the night, days of key forwards running rampant are long gone. He isn’t in the elite category but you know what you get from him.

5. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

F
    R
    A
    U
    D

I have no time for Charlie.

Post Thanks / Like

I mean, he was up against the dream team of Zaine and Gardy. He never had a chance, poor bloke.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

He's not an elite full forward; he was very good for a few years but he's got some obvious vision issues and can't get near it in a twilight or night game.

Post Thanks / Like

We both defend well against him but also cut off his supply. Our mids ran themselves into the ground last night making it very difficult for Port to have any clean supply to their forward line. There was only a period for 5 minutes where they got on top. Dixon is a decent enough player but if it ain’t coming in the way he likes then he is shown up. Now compare that to Naughton who can make something out of nothing. No comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

This article really sums up Charlie...

WHAT IF… CHARLIE DIXON

Basically it says he has all the tools, height, weight, aggression and ends with this paragraph

In any case, as the biggest true key position player in the AFL, if Dixon can put together the tools he’s been gifted, plays with a bit of menace and uses that size to his full ability to ‘grit and grind’ his way to four or five marks inside 50, you’d back him to make the most of those opportunities. He’s averaging two goals a game for the year, but playing with some more aggression to really make the use of those gifts? Could be five. Could be more. Could be the difference, if it all comes together.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-seaso...charlie-dixon/
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

most contested marks for year (just above Naughton and kicked 48 goals - so he is pretty good, but we had a plan
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    most contested marks for year (just above Naughton and kicked 48 goals - so he is pretty good, but we had a plan
    3 times this year. Other clubs might want to analyse what we are doing to him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Dixon gets so much credit for his physique but how many games does he actually dominate? He’s a charismatic guy and clearly a *good* player but he’s drastically overrated.

He’s also got that Hawkins thing going where he’s allowed to push guys in the back one on one under the guise of bodywork, so good for him I guess.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Likes jeemak, EasternWest, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Dixon gets so much credit for his physique but how many games does he actually dominate? He’s a charismatic guy and clearly a *good* player but he’s drastically overrated.

He’s also got that Hawkins thing going where he’s allowed to push guys in the back one on one under the guise of bodywork, so good for him I guess.
    I didn't realise he was such a big man just by looking at him or via the information readily available to me in print and online. I've needed James Brayshaw and a few other weirdos to repeatedly and excitedly tell me he is.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah he's a good player. But being a good big forward is so dependent on what your midfield gives you.

He's no Aaron Naughton, that's for sure.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

He double grabs too many marks.

He’s a good honest key forward, but he isn’t a match winner.

20. Likes Testekill liked this post