Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  171
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Melbourne Narrative

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/....co/2AHZHkZ5xX

Fair enough playing for his late brother, but playing the GF for his drug cheat 34 ex-teammates? I suppose being one of 34 drug cheats constitutes a 'special bond' lol
    He was playing for them a lot more before he walked on them. Also kind of putting the horse before the cart assuming he’s playing at all.

Dees will grab any supporter clout they can. It’s their fairytale after all.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I’m enjoying it not being our fairytale. It’s tells us we’ve already won a flag recently. That’s awesome in itself. We’re not the pitied team. We’re the ones who’ve been there done that.

That is by no means saying I don’t care if we win or lose. I bloody want this one more than I did in 2016 when there was a tinge of "just happy to finally have made a grand final".

3. Likes Sedat, azabob, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes sit and wonder about how bonkers the world is and the crazy shit that comes out of the mouths of people. Most of the time I can keep a straight face but this stuff cracks me up.

Doing it for the Essendon 34!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I sometimes sit and wonder about how bonkers the world is and the crazy shit that comes out of the mouths of people. Most of the time I can keep a straight face but this stuff cracks me up.

Doing it for the Essendon 34!
    In what other world would there be such sympathy for a bunch of players and a club who knowingly took drugs to cheat? I cannot and will not ever get over this. The comments about how they’ve been through enough and that they deserve the no 1 pick after all they’ve been through. No other competition in the world would do that and they certainly wouldn’t have rewarded a team missing their best players due to drug suspension with the no 1 pick. Just crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    In what other world would there be such sympathy for a bunch of players and a club who knowingly took drugs to cheat? I cannot and will not ever get over this. The comments about how they’ve been through enough and that they deserve the no 1 pick after all they’ve been through. No other competition in the world would do that and they certainly wouldn’t have rewarded a team missing their best players due to drug suspension with the no 1 pick. Just crazy.
    Speaking of straight faces, that the AFL could keep one whilst delivering the cheats the first pick is pretty impressive!

Post Thanks / Like

Simon Goodwin in isolation with…..gastro.

One of the disadvantages of staying in hotels. Imagine an outbreak just before the grand final.

Post Thanks / Like

Simon Goodwin in isolation with…..gastro.

One of the disadvantages of staying in hotels. Imagine an outbreak just before the grand final.
    Bevo wouldn't get gastro.

Gastro would get Bevo.

Goodwin doesn't inspire me at all, not sure what others think. Gambling issues (it happens), then the drugs stuff / taking Hexarelin allegedly (legal I think but really?).

Clearly doing something right though.

Post Thanks / Like

Dead right. The narrative around this is nauseating. Essendon fans whitewashing it almost to a person too.

Lets not forget this mob are the biggest systematic drug cheats in the history of Australian team sports.

They took every other team for mugs, and would have gleefully accepted a flag having knowingly conspired to cheat.

It was the end of me looking at any AFL media it was just too much for too long. (i may have had a blip in 2016).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Clearly doing something right though.
    Choco Williams
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Essendon fans whitewashing it almost to a person too.
    They can't whitewash #6222 (and counting)
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

While the 'Melbourne narrative' is indeed nauseating and off putting, there is a reason why I won't be too upset if Melbourne get up.

He is a mate from school. Suffered cerebral palsy and spent most of adult life confined to a mobility scooter.

His sense of humour about his disability never wavered. He would joke that when he got on the piss that he stood up straighter. He would offer to drive when we went somewhere together so we could park in a 'Veggie spot'.

Only two things ever got him angry in life. Shit public transport, and the merger vote. He was as red and blue as you'll ever find and would have told the Melbourne Hawks to GAGF.

My mornings going to uni inevitably saw me running into him on the train where we would talk about life, football and more football. And we'd always depart by exchanging a hearty "Good luck to the Bulldogs/Demons this week", even if it was only Monday morning.

Fast forward to Grand Final week 2016 and out of the blue I get a text from him, saying there's a companion seat in the AFL Members reserve next to his scooter with my name on it.

He was sitting there next to me when the siren went. And before I went off to find the extended family scattered in six different areas of the MCG, we exchanged one last "Good luck for the Bulldogs/Demons this week".

It would be the last in person conversation we'd have.

He passed away from cancer last year. I'll be both forever grateful of the experience he gave me and immensely sad he never got to experience what I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    While the 'Melbourne narrative' is indeed nauseating and off putting, there is a reason why I won't be too upset if Melbourne get up.

He is a mate from school. Suffered cerebral palsy and spent most of adult life confined to a mobility scooter.

His sense of humour about his disability never wavered. He would joke that when he got on the piss that he stood up straighter. He would offer to drive when we went somewhere together so we could park in a 'Veggie spot'.

Only two things ever got him angry in life. Shit public transport, and the merger vote. He was as red and blue as you'll ever find and would have told the Melbourne Hawks to GAGF.

My mornings going to uni inevitably saw me running into him on the train where we would talk about life, football and more football. And we'd always depart by exchanging a hearty "Good luck to the Bulldogs/Demons this week", even if it was only Monday morning.

Fast forward to Grand Final week 2016 and out of the blue I get a text from him, saying there's a companion seat in the AFL Members reserve next to his scooter with my name on it.

He was sitting there next to me when the siren went. And before I went off to find the extended family scattered in six different areas of the MCG, we exchanged one last "Good luck for the Bulldogs/Demons this week".

It would be the last in person conversation we'd have.

He passed away from cancer last year. I'll be both forever grateful of the experience he gave me and immensely sad he never got to experience what I did.
    That's a lovely post and lovely memories.

And I'm not crying, everyone else is, but I'm not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    That's a lovely post and lovely memories.

And I'm not crying, everyone else is, but I'm not.
    Yeah, me neither, there just happened to be a dust storm cross my loungeroom is all...got in my eyes.. you know how it is..

I hope the Dee's get up for your late friend.........but not this year..or any other year when the Dog's happen to be their opponent.

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid, sexy westdog54.
    "It's over. It's all over."

16. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Stupid, sexy westdog54.
    I can't remember the last time someone called me sexy.