Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  171
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Melbourne Narrative

Makes me proud to be a Bulldogs supporter even more. I love our ethos.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Their coach also "got on the good gear" from Stephen Dank during the Essendon doping scandal. How he has managed to skate out of that is one of the more notable Teflon-coated performances in recent memory.
    And, you know, bet on games he played in.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes Sedat, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They are a horrid club, though have been barely worth my contempt.

I’d enjoy a win against them in a GF very much, the idea of spoiling a party is very appealing. They can have a little more heartache before redemption I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    They are a horrid club, though have been barely worth my contempt.

I’d enjoy a win against them in a GF very much, the idea of spoiling a party is very appealing. They can have a little more heartache before redemption I think.

Another win. We've already beaten them in a grand final.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Another win. We've already beaten them in a grand final.
    Let’s make it 2 from 2 against the Demons.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

On this topic, I am getting very frustrated about the use of the word 'fairytale' to describe Melbourne's run at the flag. One fundamental aspect of fairytales is that the hero is always form a marginalised or disempowered group - Cinderella is a poor chambermaid, Hansel and Gretel are children, etc. etc. They are always stories about the little guy getting an unexpected win, usually by turning power against the powerful.

Melbourne might have had a long drought, but that doesn't make them "the little guy". It's not a 'fairytale', it's a powerful club finally figuring out how to use its power to win.

I will just barely be able to stomach it if they win but I cannot stomach the equation of Dogs 2016 with Melbourne now.

9. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They tried to pull this bullshit in 2018 too. “The Bulldogs showed in 2016 that it’s possible for a team to win it outside the top 4”. It’s not, it’s possible for the Bulldogs.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes Boots, Twodogs, Eastdog, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne is a club that tried to vote themselves out of existence, then tanked and were so badly run that the AFL paid for a coach and admin to come in and right the ship. This isn’t a fairytale, this is a club getting the kind of leg up ours would only dream of with a playing group of flogs who prance around and laugh at others like they’ve achieved something of merit.

Plus they have Gary Lyon on stand by.

*!*!*!*! those toffs.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Melbourne is a club that tried to vote themselves out of existence, then tanked and were so badly run that the AFL paid for a coach and admin to come in and right the ship. This isn’t a fairytale, this is a club getting the kind of leg up ours would only dream of with a playing group of flogs who prance around and laugh at others like they’ve achieved something of merit.

Plus they have Gary Lyon on stand by.

*!*!*!*! those toffs.
    Go Comrade. My sentiments in a nutshell.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

yep. I hate the Melbourne narrative. But I must say, I do like Max Gawn, Petracca is loveable as that big, enthusiastic Italian goofball that I'm sure we all went to school with. I must admit I like Lever and May too. Even though they're both ring ins. Fritsch has the irritation level on high for me but overall I don't dislike the team or the way they play. But I DO loathe the 'poor us' story. The core of support for that club is old money. Right wing, Tory, smug, wealthy, privileged Melbourne grammar, melbourne club, mocking, sneering pompous liberals who loathe the working classes, and I want to crush them into the dirt. Not sure if I made myself clear enough.

15. Likes ratsmac, Bulldog4life, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    yep. I hate the Melbourne narrative. But I must say, I do like Max Gawn, Petracca is loveable as that big, enthusiastic Italian goofball that I'm sure we all went to school with. I must admit I like Lever and May too. Even though they're both ring ins. Fritsch has the irritation level on high for me but overall I don't dislike the team or the way they play. But I DO loathe the 'poor us' story. The core of support for that club is old money. Right wing, Tory, smug, wealthy, privileged Melbourne grammar, melbourne club, mocking, sneering pompous liberals who loathe the working classes, and I want to crush them into the dirt. Not sure if I made myself clear enough.
    Yep I do get that vibe with the Demons. You sum it up very well DD.

17. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    They do have an interesting dichotomy in their supporter base, however. It's not an even contrast, though there's genuine hard up battlers in the Melbourne supporter base who have similar backgrounds to a lot of us and are probably tortured by being classified with the Tory fans Melbourne is usually associated with.

I don't feel sorry for them however, and I also don't want to give them an inch.

Also, Max Gawn is probably an OK guy but for the love of all things sacred liking coffee and toasted sandwiches whilst having a beard made you cool for a brief moment in time more than ten years ago and it's completely done with now. If anything, my rule of if an AFL player is doing it and promoting it now, it's already out of fashion applies more than ever to Max Gawn.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    They do have an interesting dichotomy in their supporter base, however. It's not an even contrast, though there's genuine hard up battlers in the Melbourne supporter base who have similar backgrounds to a lot of us and are probably tortured by being classified with the Tory fans Melbourne is usually associated with.

I don't feel sorry for them however, and I also don't want to give them an inch.

Also, Max Gawn is probably an OK guy but for the love of all things sacred liking coffee and toasted sandwiches whilst having a beard made you cool for a brief moment in time more than ten years ago and it's completely done with now. If anything, my rule of if an AFL player is doing it and promoting it now, it's already out of fashion applies more than ever to Max Gawn.
    He needs to ditch the beard looks like a big dawk
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He needs to ditch the beard looks like a big dawk
    Take that, Max Gawn's feelings!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Take that, Max Gawn's feelings!
    my wife just saw me write that and said how would I feel reading something about myself like get rid of that stomach.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

23. Likes SonofScray liked this post