I figure we will need some extra content/threads to get through two weeks. So this is for discussion. This would ordinarily be in the main thread. But I figure I will try to focus on ‘Making A Case For...’

The Sub Being: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Them:

They’re going to have Brown, McDonald & Jackson/Gawn forward, and, May (?), Lever & Petty in defence.

Us:

Naughton, Schache & English forward, and, Keath, Gardiner & Wood.

Activation:

If we lose a midfielder or a flanker, I think we can still cover them such is our depth. But the loss of a KPP could really hurt.

Say a tall defender is subbed. Schache goes back to cover. But then we are down a KPF and they will try to double team Naughton. Marra jumping in next to Naughton & English for the balance of the game gives us a dangerous tall they can’t ignore.

Say a tall forward is subbed. We then only have one KPF plus English. Double teaming likely again. Marra gives us structure and X factor with Weightman.

Say a ruckman is subbed. The other ruck needs to compete almost the entire time, with Schache being the second ruck. That could leave us with just one KPF. Marra again gives structure and a target

So a VDM or Scott or Richards are decent players, but need a small to be subbed out. The fear of losing a KPP which possibly allows them to get an advantage must be a real consideration, even if only to reject.

Marra:

If it’s maybe a couple of quarters. He’s got the fitness base to smash that. He played well when we beat them at the MCG. Kicking the sealer after burning off Lever with blistering speed. He knows what is like to play against their defensive system, the strategies their KPDs use on him, and I’m sure in his review of the game with his line coach he’s obtained learnings he can apply to be more dangerous. Sure he’s got few games, but so did a couple in 2016.

This is just insurance to cover off a KPP being subbed out. He might not be activated, but if he is for a KPP that big. The contrary scenario is he comes in for a mid or flanker. So we have them covered. Marra going forward gives flexibility to Bevo to either ruck English more or push him up the ground to intercept, as well as allowing Schache to swing from either end in line with what Bevo needs at the time without robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Has the case been made to select Marra as The Sub?