Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

Making A Case For...

I figure we will need some extra content/threads to get through two weeks. So this is for discussion. This would ordinarily be in the main thread. But I figure I will try to focus on ‘Making A Case For...’

The Sub Being: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Them:

They’re going to have Brown, McDonald & Jackson/Gawn forward, and, May (?), Lever & Petty in defence.

Us:

Naughton, Schache & English forward, and, Keath, Gardiner & Wood.

Activation:

If we lose a midfielder or a flanker, I think we can still cover them such is our depth. But the loss of a KPP could really hurt.

Say a tall defender is subbed. Schache goes back to cover. But then we are down a KPF and they will try to double team Naughton. Marra jumping in next to Naughton & English for the balance of the game gives us a dangerous tall they can’t ignore.

Say a tall forward is subbed. We then only have one KPF plus English. Double teaming likely again. Marra gives us structure and X factor with Weightman.

Say a ruckman is subbed. The other ruck needs to compete almost the entire time, with Schache being the second ruck. That could leave us with just one KPF. Marra again gives structure and a target

So a VDM or Scott or Richards are decent players, but need a small to be subbed out. The fear of losing a KPP which possibly allows them to get an advantage must be a real consideration, even if only to reject.

Marra:

If it’s maybe a couple of quarters. He’s got the fitness base to smash that. He played well when we beat them at the MCG. Kicking the sealer after burning off Lever with blistering speed. He knows what is like to play against their defensive system, the strategies their KPDs use on him, and I’m sure in his review of the game with his line coach he’s obtained learnings he can apply to be more dangerous. Sure he’s got few games, but so did a couple in 2016.

This is just insurance to cover off a KPP being subbed out. He might not be activated, but if he is for a KPP that big. The contrary scenario is he comes in for a mid or flanker. So we have them covered. Marra going forward gives flexibility to Bevo to either ruck English more or push him up the ground to intercept, as well as allowing Schache to swing from either end in line with what Bevo needs at the time without robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Has the case been made to select Marra as The Sub?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes Sedat, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Making A Case For...

Young being a hybrid that can ruck gives us more flexiblity and a small gives us more run
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Love to see Marra in the GF, but can't see who he would displace.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Love to see Marra in the GF, but can't see who he would displace.
    The OP fos discussion purposes, has him as the sub. So that would mean the weekends sub, Anthony Scott.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Really think that JJ or LVDM are the perfect subs. Both lightning, both pretty versatile players and they both can be impactful with limited touches.

I don't hate having a tall as the sub for the structural security it brings, but you don't really want to safeguard against disaster in a GF anyway. Being able to put express pace on the ball is still the best use of a sub if all things are equal.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

We have to ask a question first - are we going to beat Melbourne in the air, or beat them on the ground?
    Naughton is a beat, English good and Schache has found his niche as a role player... but May & Lever are the best 1 & 2 KPD combo in the competition, and petty more than handy.

At the other end we may not even play 3 KPDs. Ben Brown kicked the most goals in the comp for 3 years, McDonald started the year in very good fashion, and Luke Jackson is the best forward/ruck in the competition - and the less said about Gawn, the better.

Now on the ground - Fritsch plays tall and short, Kosi is lightning, and they have very good (not not quick) wings. Oliver and Petracca are gun midfielders, but we clearly bat deeper then them. Salem/Dale are both AA defenders but we also have Williams and Duryea, Daniel will plug holes somewhere, and our B rotation mids are easily the best in the competition.

Our one-wood is running the ball so our sub has to be able to contribute to that. I was leaning towards Cordy as a sub but really we need to make it Scott or VDM as we have to be able to out-run Melbourne for the full game is we are to win.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes josie, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We have to ask a question first - are we going to beat Melbourne in the air, or beat them on the ground?
    Naughton is a beat, English good and Schache has found his niche as a role player... but May & Lever are the best 1 & 2 KPD combo in the competition, and petty more than handy.

At the other end we may not even play 3 KPDs. Ben Brown kicked the most goals in the comp for 3 years, McDonald started the year in very good fashion, and Luke Jackson is the best forward/ruck in the competition - and the less said about Gawn, the better.

Now on the ground - Fritsch plays tall and short, Kosi is lightning, and they have very good (not not quick) wings. Oliver and Petracca are gun midfielders, but we clearly bat deeper then them. Salem/Dale are both AA defenders but we also have Williams and Duryea, Daniel will plug holes somewhere, and our B rotation mids are easily the best in the competition.

Our one-wood is running the ball so our sub has to be able to contribute to that. I was leaning towards Cordy as a sub but really we need to make it Scott or VDM as we have to be able to out-run Melbourne for the full game is we are to win.
    Good post.

So, who are the real candidates?

I'd actually love it to be Richards if he was fully fit, but otherwise you'd think it has to be either JJ (surely he plays) or more likely VDM.
    W00F!

10. Likes josie liked this post