Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kane Cornes fires back at Luke Beveridge’s attack on Adam Treloar critics

link

The Western Bulldogs may be through to the AFL Grand Final and coach Luke Beveridge isn’t going to waste the chance to fire back at criticism.

After the Bulldogs beat the Lions in the semi-final in a one-point classic, the attention turned to midfielder Adam Treloar, when he had just 10 disposals in the close call.

Having been a high profile recruit for the Bulldogs who signed a five-year $4.5m deal with the side after the Collingwood debacle before the season, Beveridge said that Treloar wasn’t fully fit after he struggled against the Lions.

It led to criticism, with Fox Footy’s Jonathan Brown saying Treloar would be “horrified” with vision of him struggling to get involved, while Nick Riewoldt said “he didn’t look himself”.

But former Port Adelaide 300-gamer Kane Cornes said that it looked like Treloar wasn’t happy about where he was playing.

“He looks like he’s spat the dummy a little because he’s not playing midfield” Cornes told Footy Classified earlier in the week. “Some of these examples from the weekend is quite concerning from a player who has an opportunity to win a premiership. It’s not good enough for a player like that.”

But a week makes all the difference and the Bulldogs blew Port Adelaide away with a 17.14 (116) to 6.9 (45) win on Saturday night with a goal and two behinds and 23 disposals in a huge game.

It gave Beveridge all the ammo he needed to unload in his press conference after the win.

“If you’re going to fail in life, fail at something that is noble. Fail at something you can dust yourself off and be proud that you had a go,” Beveridge said. “If you’re failing at trying to pull people apart and bring people down like two or three journalists did this week, I don’t know how people around you can live with you, how they can lie in bed with you, how they can look at themselves in the mirror.

“For a guy like Adam, people know he’s had some challenges over the journey. It was just really poor and vindictive stuff and it was really distasteful. So I was just so happy for him tonight.

“You can imagine the pressure he put himself under. Remember how outstanding he was for our football club in the early stanzas, in the early parts of the year to give us solid grounding up near the top of the ladder.

“He had an average game last week, he didn’t like it and him and I had a really good chat about preparation this week. But what a great night for him to withstand that and give great contribution for his teammates and our footy club. I’m really proud of him and bloody disappointed in a few people that were nasty.”

Cornes, who was one of the most vocal critics, hit back on Sunday.

“I was critical of Adam Treloar’s body language and his performance last week, and I stand by it,” he told Nine’s AFL Sunday Footy Show.

“I’d challenge anyone to go back and look at Adam Treloar’s efforts last week, they were poor, we wouldn’t be doing our job if we didn’t call it out, to the point where he almost gave up in some contests.

“I don’t know if those comments were (aimed) at me. I think it’d be much easier if Luke had the courage to actually name the people he was being critical of. It would seem strange if he would bring my wife into those comments after a game, I’d find that incredibly strange.

“But all good coaches stand up for their players and that’s what he did after one of his most famous wins.”

Footy Show host Tony Jones admitted he was “taken aback” by the comments.

“He’s better than that, Luke Beveridge,” Jones said. “I’m pretty sure if he had his time [again], he probably wouldn’t be as volcanic in his criticism of the criticism of Adam Treloar.”

Damian Barrett said that the ability to create a “world against the Western Bulldogs” mentality was “part of the layers of genius of this man as a coach”.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kane Cornes fires back at Luke Beveridge’s attack on Adam Treloar critics

Kane Cornes is such a dickhead - can't stand him.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Damo this year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I would say it was the Scott Gullen article in particular that raised the ire.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I would say it was the Scott Gullen article in particular that raised the ire.
    Yes, this is what raised Beveridge's ire.

The most bizarre thing is that Gullan is a bulldog supporter. Seriously Dan Lonegan vibes from Gullan.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Yes, this is what raised Beveridge's ire.

The most bizarre thing is that Gullan is a bulldog supporter. Seriously Dan Lonegan vibes from Gullan.
    Yeah the whole Treloar has a choice, play well or give Collingwood ammunition. Like, get *!*!*!*!ed!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I love Damo this year.
    Ah.... Barret actually went harder than Cornes on the AFL daily podcast.

Nothing wrong with what Cornes said at all.

Post Thanks / Like

So Gullan won’t ask for a media pass to the WO when we back in Victoria and lockdown is over?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Treloar has suffered from mental health issues in the past. His attack on Treloar is unwarranted. He had a bad night and that is it, but to talk about stupid things like he is disinterested, and his mind is elsewhere etc, is off the mark. What followed from this criticism is people carrying on that Collingwood won the trade and other stuff.

You can't underestimate the power of the media and the effect it has on players.

11. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Kane Cornes is such a dickhead - can't stand him.
    Do you disagree with Cornes analysis of Treloars game V Brisbane? From what I saw on the coverage Treloar had a poor game and his body language was not great.

I think you have missed the real target of Beveridge's comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably taken the wrong way, like constructive criticism… he’s been a revelation for us in the media this year. A couple more weeks and then we can reassess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Treloar has suffered from mental health issues in the past. His attack on Treloar is unwarranted. He had a bad night and that is it, but to talk about stupid things like he is disinterested, and his mind is elsewhere etc, is off the mark. What followed from this criticism is people carrying on that Collingwood won the trade and other stuff.

You can't underestimate the power of the media and the effect it has on players.
    If a player doesn't perform on the stage they should be challenged.

I don't believe Cornes comments drove the general public social media fiasco.

Scott Gullan wrote a gutter piece of journalism which was specifically on the Collingwood trade scenario.

Post Thanks / Like

If a player doesn't perform on the stage they should be challenged.

I don't believe Cornes comments drove the general public social media fiasco.

Scott Gullan wrote a gutter piece of journalism which was specifically on the Collingwood trade scenario.
    This is it, or a version of and it's a hit piece pure and simple (FYI, The Australian no longer has a pay wall):

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...b6cde88fbfbe20

There is nothing worse than being that person on the receiving end of a “I told you so”.

Adam Treloar would have been feeling all sorts of different emotions on Saturday night after the Western Bulldogs extraordinary one-point semi-final victory over Brisbane.

On the surface he would have done his best to celebrate with his teammates but deep down he’d have known he’d just played one of the worst games of his career.

The race to the 2021 Toyota AFL Grand Final Series is on and every match matters. Watch Live & Ad-Break Free on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free >

AFL 1st Elimination Final - Western Bulldogs v Essendon
    And even more frustrating for him, he just provided ammunition to many at his former club who have been secretly hoping the controversial move to the Dogs didn’t become a stunning success.

Collingwood told Treloar when they forced him out the door because of a salary cap squeeze that they questioned whether mentally he could handle being separated from his partner and baby daughter for the 2021 season.

It was messy from the Pies and they rightly got cooked for it, but the gun midfielder’s sometimes fragile mental state was put on the table as a factor for his exit.

Treloar’s fiance Kim Ravaillion and 18-month old daughter Georgie have been in Queensland this year as she resurrected her netball career.

The couple were determined to make the long-distance relationship work but a serious early-season ankle injury combined with Covid-19 border restrictions have made it harder than even Treloar could have imagined.

On Saturday night he looked distracted, disinterested, confused, sad and helpless in the biggest game he’d played for his new club.

There was a suggestion he might have even been sooking because of a lack of centre square action.

Whatever the reasons, it was hard to watch.

His 10 possessions was the lowest total for Treloar since the eighth game of his career in Round 12, 2012, where he only touched the ball six times against Richmond.

Ironically on the same night in Brisbane, Ravaillion was across the other side of town collecting the MVP award for the Queensland Firebirds.

AFL 1st Semi Final - Brisbane v Western Bulldogs
    Her return to netball had been a stunning success and she admitted it had been tougher on Treloar.

“Obviously for Adam it’s a lot harder for him being away from his daughter and it’s just an emotional rollercoaster for him,” Ravaillion told RSN.

“I guess he’s lucky he has the distraction of footy but even in football you can have a good game or a bad game and that affects you. So he has got to deal with life and footy at the same time.”

The optimistic view for the Bulldogs is it’s a one-off and the previous week in the elimination final against Essendon the prized recruit had 28 possessions and stood up when it mattered in the second half.

While it’s not a matter of proving anyone wrong or sending an up yours to the Magpies, there is a lot riding on what happens against Port Adelaide.

With the prospect of captain Marcus Bontempelli’s knee injury forcing him to spend less time in the midfield, the stage will be presented to Treloar to make his mark.

And whether he likes it or not, whether it’s fair or not, how he plays on Saturday night will become the narrative for the whole messy trade saga.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need to make a pact. First to see him punches him in the face.

A football fatwa.

18. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo's love for our club and players is heartfelt. I love it.