Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  61
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which PF Win Was Better: 2016 or 2021

Can only pick one.

Brad Johnson says 2021.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which PF Win Was Better: 2016 or 2021

2016 no question.

2021 has been more impressive considering what we’ve been through though. But 2016 wasn’t exactly a cakewalk!

2016 there were tears. 2021 was about pride.

Post Thanks / Like

2016 is probably the club's greatest win ever.

No contest.
    "It's over. It's all over."

4. Likes Dry Rot, 1eyedog, Jeanette54, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 was the greatest game ever. Say no more.
    The curse is dead.

6. Likes Dry Rot, Mofra, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 felt like climbing Everest. 2021 was a vigorous walk in the park by comparison.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved 2016. That game was amazing!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

You’re asking us to pick a favourite child!

2016 for me because it smashed through a psychological barrier which had stopped Bulldogs’ teams that were arguably more talented. You could also say 2016 was the “parent” of 2021. We went into it with multiple challenges but the spectre of losing a ninth PF in a row was at least not one of them.

2021 was though as complete a display of brilliant football..skills, toughness, scintillating ball movement as I’ve ever seen from a Bulldogs team.

Loved both games. Hope what comes out after 2021 is just as good because let’s face it, our memories won’t be as fond if we don’t…well, you know..(too superstitious to even name it)
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

10. Likes bulldogtragic, SquirrelGrip, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 was crazy good, exciting and a breakthrough. 2021 was against the odds and a victory for planning.

I like them both but 2016 was a game out of the box.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    You’re asking us to pick a favourite child!

2016 for me because it smashed through a psychological barrier which had stopped Bulldogs’ teams that were arguably more talented. You could also say 2016 was the “parent” of 2021. We went into it with multiple challenges but the spectre of losing a ninth PF in a row was at least not one of them.

2021 was though as complete a display of brilliant football..skills, toughness, scintillating ball movement as I’ve ever seen from a Bulldogs team.

Loved both games. Hope what comes out after 2021 is just as good because let’s face it, our memories won’t be as fond if we don’t…well, you know..(too superstitious to even name it)
    How good is it we're even in a position to compare PRELIM WINS 6 years apart?!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I still get nervous watching a replay of 2016 for the 150th time. Then I see Devon Smith and Toby Greene both fluff their lines by selfishly going for individual glory and I feel a sense of relief.

2016 for overcoming the weight of history is more impactful. But 2021 was ridiculous in its ruthlessness and sheer brilliance.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    2016 was crazy good, exciting and a breakthrough. 2021 was against the odds and a victory for planning.

I like them both but 2016 was a game out of the box.
    Twodogs = Dwayne Russell, confirmed.

2016 was, and always will sit on top of the list. It was both a huge emotional, cathartic experience and an incredible game of footy. We took out the Orange, slayed the monkey on our back and put one hand on the cup in one fell swoop. It was an important moment for us as a club, one that spoke right to our core. We took our whole selves up the highway, history, hopes, dreams, strengths, foibles and rewrote the future. Invalidated a whole bunch of predetermined narrative, took away a whole heap of weapons from the arsenal of those who want to chop us down. If this ended up a feature film, the PF would be the final act and the actual Premiership would be a caption at the end before the credits rolled.

2021 is a different beast. If we do get the result we all want, I think perhaps we’ll have surpassed the degree of difficulty given the pandemic conditions and extra travel. But maybe the opposition hasn’t been as strong. Melbourne are certainly the biggest challenge, so a GF face off is the fitting outcome. I am hoping for a really comprehensive win. One that affirms my belief that our best > your best. That’d push this tilt above 2016 overall.

15. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From a storyline and emotional perspective, its 2016 by a long way, but from a against the odds, and technical hardship perspective, it was 2021.

Both are unique, both are special, just for different reasons.

2021 was about a window of opportunity, that window was the first 15 minutes of the game. Fluff that and we were sunk, not only did we not stuff it up, we did the opposite, we went for the jugular and we choked the life out of them. It was so animalistic that David Attenborough commentating would have been appropriate. "Here you see the dogs circling its prey as a pack, heres where they strike........."

I love them both, and picking a favorite cant be done, but right now, I love the 2021 ruthless version.

17. Likes SonofScray, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2016.. by the length of the straight.

The weight that was lifted off the clubs shoulders after that win was immense given the previous failures at that stage. It felt that we were never even going to make a GF little lone win one... we broke down that barrier against the Plastics on that famous night.

19. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    2016.. by the length of the straight.

The weight that was lifted off the clubs shoulders after that win was immense given the previous failures at that stage. It felt that we were never even going to make a GF little lone win one... we broke down that barrier against the Plastics on that famous night.
    Agree with this.

The 2021 win is actually far superior in almost every other way. But 2016 ending so many years of misery will never be topped.

Post Thanks / Like

2016 was a shock. The Bulldogs just didn't win prelims having lost 7 in a row, and GWS in that year were probably their strongest (better than their Grand Final side).
    Port were raging favourites this year but did have two previous Prelim chokes hanging over their head.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers