Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

How Martin, Dogs, will strike plan for Gawn

link

THE Western Bulldogs will ramp up their focus on Melbourne captain Max Gawn after their main session on Saturday, giving Stefan Martin time to absorb the daunting challenge of confronting the game’s premier ruckman in the grand final.

THE Western Bulldogs will ramp up their focus on Melbourne captain Max Gawn after their main session on Saturday, with senior assistant Steven King set to give Stefan Martin time to absorb the daunting challenge of confronting the game’s premier ruckman in next week’s grand final.

Gawn was the dominant performer in his team’s 83-point thumping of Geelong in the preliminary final, while Martin, who was recalled against Port Adelaide having not played since Round 12, was a strong contributor in the Dogs win.

King, who played in the 2007 premiership with Geelong and has been with the Dogs since the end of 2011, said it was almost impossible to shut Gawn out of the game entirely, but added there would be ways Martin could limit his output.

“Max is a fantastic player in the prime of his powers and traditionally we have gone into games without ruck dominance, so we do put a lot of time into opposition rucks and where we think they are going to the ball and what they try to do around the ground,” King said.

“This week will be no different and Stef has obviously got a heap of experience and is very diligent in the way he prepares for a game.

“I will probably sit down with him more next week I think once we get through the main session on Saturday because I think you can over play it and do too much too early because we have got the extra week.

“So we will let last week digest a little bit and then as a coaching group come up with a few strategies we think will help us and make sure our rucks are across that. You are not going to cut a player like Max Gawn out of the game but hopefully there are a few things you can do to limit him.”

The Demons and Bulldogs are one-one from their two games in 2021, and with deep midfields it is there that the match could be won and lost.

King acknowledged that curbing the influence of Clayton Oliver at stoppages would be important, but said the Dogs would back their system in to try to overcome the Demons.

“We have played them twice this year and once it didn’t go our way and the second time it did,” he said.

“Clayton is a fantastic player, as is a handful of their mids, so it is going to be a fascinating battle within the battle with those midfielders.

“You have to back your system and do what you do but you have got to be aware and have an ability to see what the opposition’s strengths really are without taking too much away from what you want to do.

“So like any game we will prepare and make sure the ball falls in a certain area so we can compete but I think our midfield is capable of matching it with every midfield in the comp and especially now that Stef is back, if we can perform at the level we know we are capable of and are diligent in how we set up then I think we can match Melbourne in there for sure.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Martin, Dogs, will strike plan for Gawn

Hopefully our system includes a few roles keeping players in check. It has in recent weeks…

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The excitement of having Stef back was really never without tempering from Gawn’s performance the night before, which may have been the best game I’ve ever seen against an opponent (Stanley) who, for his many flaws, should have been able to go with him stride for stride around the ground.

I’m terrified of what he will do to Stef between stoppages.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The excitement of having Stef back was really never without tempering from Gawn’s performance the night before, which may have been the best game I’ve ever seen against an opponent (Stanley) who, for his many flaws, should have been able to go with him stride for stride around the ground.

I’m terrified of what he will do to Stef between stoppages.
    It will really be down to our mids to make sure he doesn't get out into space. But yeah, he's a monster. I'm clinging to the hope that there is no way he'll play a game to that level, two weeks in a row.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin needs to be very physical against Gawn and make him earn every hitout, disposal (legally of course). We can't let Gawn get easy possessions.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I have quiet confidence in Martin trying to use his guile, experience and strength to match Gawn . Martin was once the premier Ruck in the comp
    Just pray his body can keep up for one last show at the big dance. He knows he what it means to getting to a GF it is the ultimate , winning one is a privilege
    If he can hold his position and even out the stoppages we stand a good chance

Gawn’s agility and skills is highly underated . The geelong game shows he can play like a mid fielder if you give him any room

I would almost be tempted to bring in Young just to pester tag him all day . Sure he may give away frees but at least he won’t kick 5 goals. Seriously what were the cats thinking playing stanley against Gawn ?