Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  124
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feelings of Winning or Losing

We have come so far, we have overcome all obstacles, we have traversed the continent, we have coped with the Gabba timekeepers error which should not have sent us to Tasmania in 5th place, we have been unfairly quarantined by idiot state health people who wouldn't know a football if it bit them on the arse, the adversities have strengthened us, we are resilient, we have the finals experience, we have some outrageously talented players, we yield to nobody and we deserve to win !

2. Likes Eastdog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This is why it's so special this year. Wanted one final win which has now turned into so much more.
    Same. It's gone from "please. Just don't lose to Essendon and I'll be happy" to an opportunity that has to be made the most of.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes hujsh, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A similar post to this in 2016 harvested someone who had a premonitory dream about us winning.
    It is not about thinking.
    It is about a premonitory feeling.
    Not anxiety.
    An intuitive feeling.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll be bitterly disappointed coz one of my good friends (who I’m very competitive with mind you) is a demons man and he will be there with his wife and 7 year old son. He upgraded his membership in July to priority 1, and then booked Perth return after Melb beat Bris. Also, the fact he has rarely seen Melb lose live scares me. When it became paramount that the dogs and dees would play finals, I said to him that my worst nightmare would be losing a GF to Melb. I really hope that’s not the case.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

This year has been tough. As soon as I realised we made the GF I was overwhelmed with anxiety and dread at the thought of losing, only because the Dogs have been a much needed distraction during the year. I think it is just a confluence of factors ranging from lockdown to things in my personal life. The two week break since the preliminary final win have helped put things into perspective so I am hoping I can maintain that attitude all the to the GF.

I AM confident we can win.

Post Thanks / Like

As the season wore on, I was feeling a bit fatigued by the disconnect as a fan. The losses still hurt, the wins weren’t as satisfying without being there. The times we were there, it was frustrating due to ticketing.

All the way though, I felt like finals would be where the questions were answered and the feeling would fire up. It has.

I think I’ll have a better perspective of a potential loss having experienced a win in a GF. It’ll sting though, should it come to pass. Especially if it is close, or we are left wondering.

A win will be sweet. It’s an important day for the identity of our Club. In 2016 we dropped the Drought tag, but never really filled the gap it left, ie - breaking the drought was the mission, our story leaned so heavily into it. I think a win here says something special about us, it takes all the positive spin from the years between 54-16 and casts it as true and emblematic of the club in a new context. Tough, resilient, stoic, manic , passionate etc all gets affirmed in the context of winning and winning again. Rather than “not losing.” If that makes sense.

It separates us, quite brutally from a Dees perspective, from that pack of smaller clubs and the prescribed narrative. There’s plenty riding on it.

If we play well and get beat, so be it, it is a true best of the best GF and whoever wins will have earned it. If we play our best, and they play theirs, we win. There’s no hoodoos, or nerves beyond performance for me now. Nervous AF though.

Post Thanks / Like

There were a few times where I dared to dream during the year that we'd be winning it.

A few in particular....

- 6 minutes in to the round 1 game v Collingwood - I thought "wow we are scary....how good is this", with Treloar added to the mix.
    - The first half against Gold Coast, and the whole game v the Saints....weaker opposition, but we just looked so clinical and strong all over the field.
    - When we beat the Dees - I texted my good mates who are dees supporters and said "Oh well, good game, 1 all and hopefully the next time we see you is in the Grand Final" - but thought to myself that we would win it all.

I have no idea how I feel if we lose, but I'm guessing pretty devastated, as I do think we will win - and anything short of that I imagine will be pretty shattering.

4 of my best mates happen to be Melbourne supporters. Its a bit of an awkward situation (as was discussed with them on a zoom on Friday night). And of the 7 of us that got together over zoom - 1 of the boys works for the dogs and is in the Perth hub right now. So there will be all sorts of mixed emotions.

10. Thanks Smads57 thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Eastdog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Said it all year. Our best is THE best in the comp.

We beat this mob without Keath, Martin, Treloar and Dunkley.

I'll be gutted if we lose. We must win.
    Exactly. I have said this all year. We finally have our best team playing barring Bruce and maybe McLean. If we play 4 quarters at our best we win. Should we lapse though Melbourne can make us pay quickly.

I'm super nervous. One minute I believe we will win next minute I'm thinking we'll get pipped on the line. Should be a cracker
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    As the season wore on, I was feeling a bit fatigued by the disconnect as a fan. The losses still hurt, the wins weren’t as satisfying without being there. The times we were there, it was frustrating due to ticketing.

All the way though, I felt like finals would be where the questions were answered and the feeling would fire up. It has.

I think I’ll have a better perspective of a potential loss having experienced a win in a GF. It’ll sting though, should it come to pass. Especially if it is close, or we are left wondering.

A win will be sweet. It’s an important day for the identity of our Club. In 2016 we dropped the Drought tag, but never really filled the gap it left, ie - breaking the drought was the mission, our story leaned so heavily into it. I think a win here says something special about us, it takes all the positive spin from the years between 54-16 and casts it as true and emblematic of the club in a new context. Tough, resilient, stoic, manic , passionate etc all gets affirmed in the context of winning and winning again. Rather than “not losing.” If that makes sense.

It separates us, quite brutally from a Dees perspective, from that pack of smaller clubs and the prescribed narrative. There’s plenty riding on it.

If we play well and get beat, so be it, it is a true best of the best GF and whoever wins will have earned it. If we play our best, and they play theirs, we win. There’s no hoodoos, or nerves beyond performance for me now. Nervous AF though.
    Summed up beautifully
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

When Cordy kicked that first goal in 2016 to me it meant we are up for the occasion and not in awe if it.
    Conversely v Hawks final I arrived a bit late to see Dickson butcher two shots on goal.
    Taking opportunities.
    Our team is the best we have had since '61 and possibly better than any before '61.
    The time is now, the team is now although we should improve over next few years.
    Intuition is a logical function and delivers its goods from the unconscious to the conscious as a completed package.
    The package my conscious got immediately after the prelim is of confidence we will win.
    Or perhaps the feeling was that we have already risen against the odds to prove ourselves in prelim regardless of GF result but I do not think so.
    All the down years. All the days at school being the only Footscray supporter and being low on the ladder have earned us this week of being in the grand final with optimism, knowing our best may be yet to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Funke disco View Post
    This year has been tough. As soon as I realised we made the GF I was overwhelmed with anxiety and dread at the thought of losing, only because the Dogs have been a much needed distraction during the year. I think it is just a confluence of factors ranging from lockdown to things in my personal life. The two week break since the preliminary final win have helped put things into perspective so I am hoping I can maintain that attitude all the to the GF.

I AM confident we can win.
    That's a good summation of what's been a rough year for a lot of people.

I hope you're doing ok FD and remember WOOF loves you.
    "It's over. It's all over."

14. Likes josie, Twodogs, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clarkson told his boys after losing in 2012, it’s just a game, an important game, but look around the world and worse things are happening.

Also, if you get there often enough you win one, if you get there often enough you lose one. Just get there often enough.

Nice perspective. Being good enough to get here often enough. That’s a good good club with good players and coaches.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been really reflecting on Clarko’s comments about winning and losing happens if you can just get to the GF enough.

Focusing on the ability to keep getting there.

Since 2014 these have been one hit wonders. Fremantle, Sydney, Adelaide, Collingwood, GWS & Geelong.

Only four sides made it often enough. West Coast (2), Richmond (3), Hawthorn (3) & Western Bulldogs (2).

We are in rare company. We had all the excuses to not turn things around and be another one hit wonder. But we’ve been good enough to pick ourselves up and fight for a second GF. That’s a huge victory in and of itself. We are good enough, often enough to face ultimate success or bitter defeat. But we keep giving ourselves these chances and have an age profile to keep being good enough to keep getting there often enough.

I want the *!*!*!*!ing win, but we are in a small Repeat GF club with three huge clubs. That perspective is nice to acknowledge and embrace.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes bornadog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I’ve been really reflecting on Clarko’s comments about winning and losing happens if you can just get to the GF enough.

Focusing on the ability to keep getting there.

Since 2014 these have been one hit wonders. Fremantle, Sydney, Adelaide, Collingwood, GWS & Geelong.

Only four sides made it often enough. West Coast (2), Richmond (3), Hawthorn (3) & Western Bulldogs (2).

We are in rare company. We had all the excuses to not turn things around and be another one hit wonder. But we’ve been good enough to pick ourselves up and fight for a second GF. That’s a huge victory in and of itself. We are good enough, often enough to face ultimate success or bitter defeat. But we keep giving ourselves these chances and have an age profile to keep being good enough to keep getting there often enough.

I want the *!*!*!*!ing win, but we are in a small Repeat GF club with three huge clubs. That perspective is nice to acknowledge and embrace.
    Lucky we had the rebuild in 2017, 2018 when we lost 12 players to retirement and trade, plus delistings. Alot of experience went out the door and consequently we ended up playing a very young team in those years. (youngest in AFL)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny, I'm feeling the exact same emotions as I did in 2016. Walking into Subiaco Oval I knew we were going to lose. Eagles had played in the 2015 GF and playing them in that fortress ... no chance. The following week, coming up against the reigning three time defending champs ... no chance. Then facing GWS, the AFL's baby, the plastic fantastic that seemed to have the wood over us ... no chance. But then came Sydney, the only team that I was (quietly) confident we would beat.

This year, we were going to be the reason Essendon broke their losing streak. Playing in front of a predominantly Essendon crowd, we didin't stand a chance. Then we went on to Brisbane. There was no way we would be able to get over them deep in Lion territory, we didn't stand a chance. Just like the Leyland Brothers, we were traveling all over the country side to meet Port in a prelim. No full back, no full forward, facing a team at optimal strength coming off a weeks break, we don't stand a chance. But now there is Melbourne, the only team that I am (quietly) confident we will beat.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    It's funny, I'm feeling the exact same emotions as I did in 2016. Walking into Subiaco Oval I knew we were going to lose. Eagles had played in the 2015 GF and playing them in that fortress ... no chance. The following week, coming up against the reigning three time defending champs ... no chance. Then facing GWS, the AFL's baby, the plastic fantastic that seemed to have the wood over us ... no chance. But then came Sydney, the only team that I was (quietly) confident we would beat.

This year, we were going to be the reason Essendon broke their losing streak. Playing in front of a predominantly Essendon crowd, we didin't stand a chance. Then we went on to Brisbane. There was no way we would be able to get over them deep in Lion territory, we didn't stand a chance. Just like the Leyland Brothers, we were traveling all over the country side to meet Port in a prelim. No full back, no full forward, facing a team at optimal strength coming off a weeks break, we don't stand a chance. But now there is Melbourne, the only team that I am (quietly) confident we will beat.
    Well I'm officially fired up now.
    "It's over. It's all over."