Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  124
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feelings of Winning or Losing

I'm so mixed about the game:

Part of me says "It's going to be soooooo Bulldog that we do all this hard work, build us up to be this big thing, then stuff it up when the time comes"

But then i think about 2016 which was even more so, yet we proved the world wrong and were so magnificent.

I'm afraid that 36 years of being a believer has ingrained me with pessimism around big moments that the club faces.

So i am not getting my hopes up, i know our best is better then the demons best, so I think the only way the loss happens is if we lose it, rather than the demons winning it (sounds weird i know)

I'm going to be on the Bulldogs webcast tomorrow lunchtime, watch out for the huge shout out to the woof community. (and my Ben Hudson scarf !!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    I'm so mixed about the game:

Part of me says "It's going to be soooooo Bulldog that we do all this hard work, build us up to be this big thing, then stuff it up when the time comes"

But then i think about 2016 which was even more so, yet we proved the world wrong and were so magnificent.

I'm afraid that 36 years of being a believer has ingrained me with pessimism around big moments that the club faces.

So i am not getting my hopes up, i know our best is better then the demons best, so I think the only way the loss happens is if we lose it, rather than the demons winning it (sounds weird i know)

I'm going to be on the Bulldogs webcast tomorrow lunchtime, watch out for the huge shout out to the woof community. (and my Ben Hudson scarf !!)
    I share the feeling Reload, but have so much faith in Bevo's ability to conjur something amazing, he seems to have been able to do it across all levels too.

I'll be watching the webcast, should be good enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    First quarter will tell all.
    I agree Bornadog. We have to come out like we did in the Port game. We have to show our intention early. Martin putting a knee into Gawn, and Libba knocking Oliver on his ass, allowing Bont to run and boot to a pack marking Naughton in the first 30 seconds would be an ideal start thanks.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Riots, earthquakes and DG up and about! What a day
    I was timing my run Comrade
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I wish that I could be enjoying the moment like I should but as most of us will appreciate this goes well be entertainment.

To be honest, I’ll be relieved now when its’s over, and hopefully the right result eventuates where I can sit back with immense joy and pride watching the replay.

6. Likes Funke disco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m feeling pretty zen at this point. Maybe it’s because I’d essentially given up hope of getting this far after Round 23 or maybe I’m just finally growing up
    I’ll obviously be completely mental tomorrow night during the game and dev estates if we lose but on some level the potential for heartbreak is the price of admission for getting into a GF, and frankly I’d rather take the chance of disappointment on this level every year than sputter into 10th on a regular basis. This shit is way better regardless of outcome

8. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn with a similar aged list lost a GF in 2012. Then won the next three.

Win or lose, like Clarko says, good teams just have to keep getting there and probability says there’s wins and losses. I still think we can and should win.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Clarkson told his boys after losing in 2012, it’s just a game, an important game, but look around the world and worse things are happening.

Also, if you get there often enough you win one, if you get there often enough you lose one. Just get there often enough.

Nice perspective. Being good enough to get here often enough. That’s a good good club with good players and coaches.
    I’ve been really reflecting on Clarko’s comments about winning and losing happens if you can just get to the GF enough.

Focusing on the ability to keep getting there.

Since 2014 these have been one hit wonders. Fremantle, Sydney, Adelaide, Collingwood, GWS & Geelong.

Only four sides made it often enough. West Coast (2), Richmond (3), Hawthorn (3) & Western Bulldogs (2).

We are in rare company. We had all the excuses to not turn things around and be another one hit wonder. But we’ve been good enough to pick ourselves up and fight for a second GF. That’s a huge victory in and of itself. We are good enough, often enough to face ultimate success or bitter defeat. But we keep giving ourselves these chances and have an age profile to keep being good enough to keep getting there often enough.

I want the *!*!*!*!ing win, but we are in a small Repeat GF club with three huge clubs. That perspective is nice to acknowledge and embrace.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m angry. But Clarkson view on these things is pretty apt. He told this to his losing side in 2012 as well as being his philosophy around GFs. They with a similar aged list won the next three. But like Hawthorn, we need to keep bringing in talent through trades this year to improve the list and plug holes. If we aren’t getting better, our opponents will overtake us. One year of window got shut. So improve the list Sam Power, and let’s not loose another window year. We need to keep getting there often enough. That improvement to do that starts now with Sam.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don’t get me wrong, I’m angry. But Clarkson view on these things is pretty apt. He told this to his losing side in 2012 as well as being his philosophy around GFs. They with a similar aged list won the next three. But like Hawthorn, we need to keep bringing in talent through trades this year to improve the list and plug holes. If we aren’t getting better, our opponents will overtake us. One year of window got shut. So improve the list Sam Power, and let’s not loose another window year. We need to keep getting there often enough. That improvement to do that starts now with Sam.
    Thanks BT. Perspective is great.

Just this feeling of helplessness…
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Thanks BT. Perspective is great.

Just this feeling of helplessness…
    Yep. I want a mulligan. But that’s not how it works. Our boys could’ve had much scar tissue and be dejected. With every hard preseason session they have in their minds the ‘celebration’ of Melbourne. Now the boys have rage to get through those sessions. Motivation to do extra sessions. Melbourne can get *!*!*!*!ed, but that’s a gift to Bevo and the playing group to pull out as needed. We can change the focus of dejection into focussed rage to improve.

Post Thanks / Like

The comparison with Hawthorn is fair, but they didn't have underage talent like JUH & Darcy to deal with which chews up trade currency.

To bring in established players in areas of need we're going to have to shift a number of players on and maximize the value gained, so talk of Coll wanting to get Lipinski through the PSD isn't music to my ears.

15. Likes Funke disco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The comparison with Hawthorn is fair, but they didn't have underage talent like JUH & Darcy to deal with which chews up trade currency.

To bring in established players in areas of need we're going to have to shift a number of players on and maximize the value gained, so talk of Coll wanting to get Lipinski through the PSD isn't music to my ears.
    If that happens that’s a stain on the game and Lippa. I get wanting more opportunities, but burning your current club to do that is gutter crawling stuff. Hopefully just Collingwood pushing it and nothing into it. Hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

If that happens that’s a stain on the game and Lippa. I get wanting more opportunities, but burning your current club to do that is gutter crawling stuff. Hopefully just Collingwood pushing it and nothing into it. Hopefully.
    Doesn't happen very often nowdays. It's just posturing, clubs/list managers are more mature than dickheads in the media trying to get a click. There are too many bridges burnt.

Post Thanks / Like

Outside my apartment, here on the outskirts of Shanghai, there are sometimes people going through rubbish bins for food.
    It kind of puts things in perspective.

It's been grand entertainment. I didn't enjoy losing in the way we did, but understandable given the travel schedule.
    The boys are just a bit tired and certain players didn't seize the moment. Happens. Out coached? I don't think the score reflects our true team ability, but they were the better team for most of the year.
    Like the Clarko philosophy. Got to be in it to win it. Focus on getting into it.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

19. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes SquirrelGrip, Max469 liked this post