Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  48
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Brownlow 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brownlow 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The voting is so lop sided now. Can't believe Macrae and Libba are podium chances for B&F in a GF team and get no love in the Brownlow.

Carlton is a great example.

Walsh 30.
    McKay (Coleman medalist!) 8.
    It has become a midfielders medal.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It has become a midfielders medal.
    Do you think the AFL need to find a way to award other lines? I get there's the Coleman, not sure there's anything for best defender from the league.

I'd be ok with an awards night that has the best player for each area (mid, def, forward, ruck) and then use a system to determine the overall best player.

Something has to change it's hard to take it seriously, doubt it will ever happen though.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of sports/leagues around the world have a 'Best Defensive Player' award. That shouldn't be hard to bring in.

For all the media talk about it being a midfielders award - when is the last time a forward or defender got close to winning one of the media awards?

4. Likes Grantysghost, jeemak, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's honestly odd that there were a bunch of games where you'd see a player be judged BOG by the coaches and then they don't get a sniff in the votes. Libba in round 9 was a clear BOG but didn't get a vote, Willem Drew was best on in round 19 and didn't get a vote, Aliir was best on in round 22 and didn't get a vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Players polling 30 votes in the Brownlow Medal
    1978-1993: 0
    1994-2008: 3
    2009-2021: 14
    I'm quite comfortable with the final result of this year's Brownlow. The top 3 Wines, Bontempelli and Oliver were the season's three best & most consistent players. Any one of them winning would have been a fair result. Of course, Bont winning would have been the most fair!!

But the change in how many players now poll 30 votes or more since 1994 is concerning. 1994 of course was the year that 3 umpires were introduced, so the votes were then done by committee. Groupthink surely has come into play in the "name" or "popular" players being awarded more votes.

What Is Groupthink?

Groupthink is a phenomenon that occurs when a group of individuals reaches a consensus without critical reasoning or evaluation of the consequences or alternatives. Groupthink is based on a common desire not to upset the balance of a group of people.

This desire creates a dynamic within a group whereby creativity and individuality tend to be stifled in order to avoid conflict.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

7. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    A lot of sports/leagues around the world have a 'Best Defensive Player' award. That shouldn't be hard to bring in.

For all the media talk about it being a midfielders award - when is the last time a forward or defender got close to winning one of the media awards?
    I think the obsession with stats, fantasy football etc etc has really helped construct this idea that more is better.

Keath keeping a Dixon quiet for eg is probably in my eyes equal to 30+ touches for a mid.

4/5 goals from Bruce or Naughton is worth at least the same.

Not sure we can put the genie back in the bottle though and even I get sucked in when doing my votes even though I try not to.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is that stats argument, but then why doesn't Jack Macrae get more votes? I do agree that media buzz must play a part, albeit unconsciously.

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I think the obsession with stats, fantasy football etc etc has really helped construct this idea that more is better.

Keath keeping a Dixon quiet for eg is probably in my eyes equal to 30+ touches for a mid.

4/5 goals from Bruce or Naughton is worth at least the same.

Not sure we can put the genie back in the bottle though and even I get sucked in when doing my votes even though I try not to.
    Agree on the Keath & Naughton/Bruce examples

When doing my votes, I think my starting point is my gut feel on the game and how it played out, and then I'll refer to stats to perhaps re-confirm this or maybe choose between players. As far as stats go, I am big on who had score involvements and who had clearances, as these are probably the most impactful stats outside of goals - and not that worried about total disposals.

13. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    There is that stats argument, but then why doesn't Jack Macrae get more votes? I do agree that media buzz must play a part, albeit unconsciously.
    He's such a quiet achiever isn't he, no frills no lairising just gets it done week after week. You'd think the umpires would be intelligent enough to notice him but clearly not.

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Weird that Mitchell continually gets noticed but Macrae doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Winner's Brownlow votes by year since 1924.*

* Divided 1976/77 in 2 when both umpires votes were tallied.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

18. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post