That was shit, then it was awesome, then it was shit, so shit.

First quarter we were a shambles. We were so fumbly and nervous, and basically didn't settle for the entire quarter. To only be 20 points down at the break was a miracle, especially considering that margin was blown out by two atrocious errors from the usually composed Bailey Williams. Next quarter and a half were great, good in the middle, defence tough and distributed well, forward line wasn't really functional but it was effective. From then on it was all Melbourne, and that was not fun.

We sucked hard tonight when we couldn't control the ball and the tempo of the game. When we weren't on top and dominating possession we were nowhere. We have shown a few times this year (Essendon being the other perfect example) that when we aren't winning the ball then the opposition has a free ticket to do whatever they want, and if they can generate a run on it will be super damaging. We desperately need to find a way to make our bad patches not hurt us in this manner, and grind them out instead. A ruckman who can negate should be priority one next season, Martin tried but can't go the distance and English is not a good ruck at all and especially when he just has to not be beaten. If we find a way to just stop the bleeding when it occurs then we would've hung in there tonight so much longer.

I'm hoping some guys don't come out of that with mental scars. Many were clearly very nervous and jittery in the first quarter but luckily settled as the game went on, but some (mainly Keath) never got there.

That horror 5 minutes broke us and we didn't look like winning once it started, which was very dissapointing. That last quarter we did the opposite of fight it out, and while I don't doubt many guys were sore and tired (Libba and Macrae definitely looked broken) I don't think it was asking too much for us to still fight it out.

Melbourne were incredible for the last quarter and a half and it's pretty hard to deny them credit for beating us, we just couldn't/wouldn't go with them in the end. I am extremely disappointed Tom McDonald gets credited with a couple of goals after completely spudding up the game when it mattered. The ball is in their court to be the new "team to beat", that was pretty convincing, but I don't think we are far off. If we do find a way to stop those run ons that teams get we are good enough at everything else to take it up to them.