Thanks Thanks:  46
Likes Likes:  519
Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4041424344454647484950515253 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne V Western Bulldogs - 2021 Grand Final Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I’m sure they are feeling a lot better than we all are tonight.
    Yes. No doubt. It bloody hurts to lose on the biggest stage. But there are 25 year old Bombers supporters who can't ever recall a final win. If you told me that could happen when I was growing up, I would have thought you had gone mad. Bombers supporters now feel like a Bulldog supporter in 1984. For those older enough to remember it wasn't good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Yes. No doubt. It bloody hurts to lose on the biggest stage. But there are 25 year old Bombers supporters who can't ever recall a final win. If you told me that could happen when I was growing up, I would have thought you had gone mad. Bombers supporters now feel like a Bulldog supporter in 1984. For those older enough to remember it wasn't good.
    Essendon have lost three and won four flags in my life time, we are one and one.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

If this doesn't sting our boys I don't what will. Melbourne sticking it right up us with a copycat mocking of our leaked celebration https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1441770827540692999?s=20

I just went from being apathetic about our loss to wanting to burn down the MCG ... It's one thing to win, it's another to mock the losing side.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

4. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s important to be gracious in both victory and defeat.

We were outplayed by the best team of the year. We can’t control how they react, but we can control how we do, how we channel our anger and burning desire for redemption.

We were in it up to our eyeballs, that’s 95% of the job done, let’s fix it and make 2022 our story.

6. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The history of our club highlights that getting to Grand Finals is a rare thing and this is why last nights result is hurting all of us this morning. How does the club bounce back from this?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The history of our club highlights that getting to Grand Finals is a rare thing and this is why last nights result is hurting all of us this morning. How does the club bounce back from this?
    Have to make sure we keep getting there. Can’t afford to miss the boat for another five years. Massive missed opportunity tonight, it is hard to fathom exactly what happened when a fair stretch into the third it looked like we had one hand firmly on the cup.

It dissipated so quickly, like sand through the fingers.

The fatal centre clearance have been the ugliest flaw in our game since 2017, with various band aids and strengths to cover it. I think Carlton, Collingwood and St Kilda have all something similar to us in recent history, blown us up in 10 minutes of footy.Melbourne were ridiculously good in that moment. The last quarter May as well not even happened. We were spent and broken mentally.

That’s a worry and probably the most disappointing element. We didn’t fire a shot after that. And what should have been a famous win, or agonisingly close loss quickly got away from us. In the end it was embarrassing. They are mocking us over it.

Can’t change it. Coach needs to unpack it, get a better system going for the midfield and tweak the defence such that those centre clearances don’t kill us.

10. Likes Dry Rot, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If this doesn't sting our boys I don't what will. Melbourne sticking it right up us with a copycat mocking of our leaked celebration https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1441770827540692999?s=20
    Winner the spoils n all that, but gee that’s ordinary. Go your hardest, but the choice of tune is brazen.

They strike me as a group that could not GAF what the rest of the competition thinks of them anyway, so whatever. We earned the disrespect.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve missed a memo.

Why is this a slight on us?

Post Thanks / Like

It was quite incredible when you think about it in the clear light of day. In a half of football we witnessed: a 40 point turn around from quarter time to about the 12 minute mark of the 3rd (from memory) for us. Then, from that point to 3/4 time, a 43 point turn around to them.

How do you process that? There has to be multiple factors involved. My greatest fear that they would get a run on came true. I also thought, naievly as it turns out, that we would have been prepared for that mentally and tactically. But whatever plans we had prepared went out the window. It was the footballing eqiuvalent of the Fall of Singapore.

But, let's get one thing straight. There is no going back for us. We are in an excellent shape to consolidate and cement our position for a long run of success. Dropping back into the following pack is not an option. I expect us to be right up there in the leading bunch and winning a couple in the next five years.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I’ve missed a memo.

Why is this a slight on us?
    That’s the same song the Bulldogs team have been singing after each finals win. Footage of us singing it post prelim leaked out.

Melbourne players did it to mock us.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That’s the same song the Bulldogs team have been singing after each finals win. Footage of us singing it post prelim leaked out.

Ok. Was happy for them largely.

F*** them to hell. That is pathetic and classless.

Agree - if that doesn’t drive us next year nothing will.
    The dam wall has busted!

16. Likes SonofScray, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Do that in local footy and you get bashed.

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's it. It's gloves off for me.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

I get the anger over the douche move of mocking our celebratory song, but the reality is the winners can please themselves. I'm sure other premiership winning clubs have said disparaging things about their opponents.

If that is added motivation for the players next year I'd be worried. We need to fix glaring holes that were brutally exposed in that last 1/3rd of the match, not focus on some questionable celebrations. Never again can we let opposition teams pile on massive scoreboard pressure out of the middle. If that means personnel changes, positional changes or game plan changes, that is what I expect us to focus 100% on.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

21. Likes Go_Dogs, SonofScray, merantau, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo (paraphrasing from presser)

-We could not stem the tide from the centre clearances
    -It all happened in a blink of an eye, the game was taken away from us
    -Did the journey take a toll on us? I don't know. Maybe.
    -The final scoreboard isn't a reflection of our entire season.
    -We showed fight and heart to get back into the game.
    -After the game, I expressed my gratitude for what we have done this year. We had injuries. We had to shuffle things. I'd rather be here than not.
    -We are a step behind Melbourne, but hopefully both clubs can sustain high performance for years ahead. We are both young.
    -We have been one of the better centre clearance teams all year, Trac lifted and we could not go with him.
    -It is a shame that an area of the game that we has been good for us (centre clearances even against dominant ruckmen), that we let it be the reason they won the game.
    -The blowout really hurts, our fans will be hurting to lose by such a big margin in the Grand Final.
    -Our club started to inspire people again, on a day like today that subtracts from that, but our players are made of special things and I'm confident that there will not be lasting legacy from this.
    -We have a break, we go to work to get a double chance next year.
    -Internally we had some challenging things we were dealing with in the last three weeks of the H&A season.

23. Thanks soupman, bornadog, The Underdog thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog, merantau liked this post