Thanks Thanks:  46
Likes Likes:  519
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34344454647484950515253
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne V Western Bulldogs - 2021 Grand Final Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Not sarcasm or putting shit on your point. Instead of giving it to them in a low percentage play you’re better off rolling the dice with an umpire call, and then delay handing the ball over after a wrestle to at least slow it down if you do get pinged.
    I didn't think it was meant to be sarcastic but did think it was still a good point if it happened to be.

Agree that I'd rather at least take the extra few seconds a holding the ball decision (which was probably unlikely anyway) would've given us.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Jon Ralph in the tackle. 22 seconds.

Yet with 90 seconds left in the third term Melbourne led by only six points.

■ 47 seconds on the clock: Ben Brown bombs long to a pack where Christian Petracca suctions up the ball with those clean hands and dribbles through one of the great goals in grand final history.

■ 30 seconds on the clock: Viney grabs the ball from the centre square and handballs to Petracca, who handballs to Oliver, who releases Tom Sparrow to goal from 50m.

■ 17 seconds on the clock: Viney toe-pokes the ball from the centre bounce to the hard-charging Jackson, whose assist to Oliver running through 50 allows him to kick the sealing goals.

Bang, crash, wallop.

Three goals in 22 seconds of game time.

Melbourne 24 points up, game over.

3. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The start of their run from Ralph. Bont was on the bench for all of this.

What followed were the seven goals in 16 minutes that could define an era, as an entire list build assembled around midfield stars – Oliver, Gawn, Jackson, Petracca, Brayshaw, Viney – was realised.

Bailey Smith’s fumble cleared a path for James Harmes to hit up Bayley Fritsch deep in the pocket, and the momentum was arrested.

Then came from a series of exquisite centre square clearances that won the Demons a flag.

■ 8.42m on the clock: Jackson misses the tap against Stef Martin but Oliver scrounges the ball who handballs to Petracca, with his long clearance allowing Bayley Fritsch to leap high and crumb a goal.

■ 8.21m on the clock: Jackson dodges Martin and gets a hand on the ball, before Petracca blind-turns Tom Liberatore and kicks long where Ben Brown marks from close range and goals.

■ 5.10m on the clock: Jake Bowey’s dinky kick inside 50 is bravely marked back with the flight by Angus Brayshaw who despite 2.7 for the season slots a perfectly executed set shot.

All of it occurred with Marcus Bontempelli on the bench (from the 15.09m mark to the 19.44m mark) and with Jackson on fire

5. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hurts reading that.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Jon Ralph in the tackle. 22 seconds.

Yet with 90 seconds left in the third term Melbourne led by only six points.

■ 47 seconds on the clock: Ben Brown bombs long to a pack where Christian Petracca suctions up the ball with those clean hands and dribbles through one of the great goals in grand final history.

■ 30 seconds on the clock: Viney grabs the ball from the centre square and handballs to Petracca, who handballs to Oliver, who releases Tom Sparrow to goal from 50m.

■ 17 seconds on the clock: Viney toe-pokes the ball from the centre bounce to the hard-charging Jackson, whose assist to Oliver running through 50 allows him to kick the sealing goals.

Bang, crash, wallop.

Three goals in 22 seconds of game time.

Melbourne 24 points up, game over.
    Petracca's goal was greatly assisted by the space he got care of a deliberate block from Pickett to Dunks. Dunks was chasing him, but got pushed out.

I was shocked how much space Petraccca had, but when I saw the bumped it explained it. Pettracca is superquick , and highly skilled and he does not need much space to do this sort of thing. His a freak.

It hurst recalling all of this. It just hurts REM.
    Last edited by macca; 27-09-2021 at 02:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I'm flat..I really think we're well positioned going forward, notwithstanding some improvements we need to make or deficiencies we need to address personnel wise.
    I know some say big defeats in GFs can scar teams. But I think this is different. Its not like we were smashed from start to finish. We clawed back and were well positioned with 10 minutes remaining in the 3rd. We had them, and let them get off the chain and get back into it in a blink of an eye.

I hope the group rewatch that 10 minute patch in the 3rd and clearly see the opportunity that is there to get better.

That patch really reminded me of the worst aspects that surfaced in the Rnd 21 game against Essendon. Our mids and those coaching the mids, really need to address our centre bounce posture.
    We need to realise that our biggest strength can also be our weakness. It's all well and good to go balls to the wall aggressive in the middle at times, but there are other times where we need to swallow our ego, and show enough humility to be able to respect the opposition's strength, and make necessary adjustments.
    Had we gone a little more defensive set up wise in the centre square in the last 10 minutes, I am pretty confident we hold them to a draw, and then go into the last quarter without having to play a hail mary stye of play.
    Got to hand it to Goodwin... begrudgingly, but he had the humility to assess what was happening with Gawn, and go 'the definition of madness would be just hoping Max would assert his dominance at some point'. He put Jackson in, and he was able to get some looks to his mids that Maxy wasn't able to get... which we could've stopped had our mids had the presence of mind to adapt.

10. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That 3rd quarter was a coaching master stroke by Goodwin

He rolled the dice , saw 2 gaps:
    1. Bonts off
    2. put Jackson in the middle and go free for all play to his strength in high jump , win ball at all costs

Their players attacked , ball went in Melbs favour
    It may have happened the other way , loose ball goes to doggies later outside we could had been 4 goals up

Just so painful dissecting this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    That 3rd quarter was a coaching master stroke by Goodwin

He rolled the dice , saw 2 gaps:
    1. Bonts off
    2. put Jackson in the middle and go free for all play to his strength in high jump , win ball at all costs

Their players attacked , ball went in Melbs favour
    It may have happened the other way , loose ball goes to doggies later outside we could had been 4 goals up

Just so painful dissecting this
    Yep, can we stop dissecting it please?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Yep, can we stop dissecting it please?
    My therapist tells me it's good to talk through my problems... and that game is going to be a problem for a long time!

I hope Bevo is having the same thoughts as me and is belting out some Cher... ''If I could turn back time!!'' We need to learn from that shit show and make sure it never happens again.

14. Likes chef, azabob, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    My therapist tells me it's good to talk through my problems... and that game is going to be a problem for a long time!

I hope Bevo is having the same thoughts as me and is belting out some Cher... ''If I could turn back time!!'' We need to learn from that shit show and make sure it never happens again.
    I agree with you except the learning from it part only because we’ve seen these problems a few too many times already and haven’t learnt a thing!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the way the dees are partying they could replicate our 2017 and 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Looks like the way the dees are partying they could replicate our 2017 and 2018!
    The only thing that would make me happier is dogs holding the cup aloft in 2022!!

Gee I hope they fall out of the top 8, it would be amazing.

The age of their team suggests they may be a chance to. Very young team...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had little time for footy and forums since just before the grand final when my elderly mother broke her hip interstate and I have been focussed on this ever since.

Along the way, I received a really good email from one of my mates is is both highly footy knowledgeable and a Sainter. This was his interesting view of the GF which I meant to post earlier.

What do you think?

I have watched Saturday's GF again and have a couple of comments that may be useful for you.

Remember, these are observations of an experienced loser of Grand Finals: 1965, 1971, 2009 and 2010 (Inc. a draw). We have a deserved reputation as perennial underachievers. This reputation is influenced by our GF win/loss losing record but is actually built on having the second lowest all-time win percentage of any team still playing in the league, and 27 wooden spoons, admittedly on two this century.

To my main point ...

In the early 80s a mate and I lined up to tackle a ten race card at Wyong. While I did not back the winner of every race, I did WIN on every race, including a couple of outstanding place dividends, one starting at 150-1, alongside six winners on the day.

My mate had been at the game for forty years, and after the last (won by Beche de Mer), he turned to me and said, "Enjoy every minute of it mate because it will never happen again"

I have never seen a Grand Final like it in my 55 years following the code. Yes,So the game has changed enormously.

Earlier this season, St Kilda got flogged by Essendon when we were heavily favoured. Essendon were literally flawless for four quarters. And I said to myself, and to a few Bombers supporters, "Enjoy the win, you won't experience anything like it again this season, probably for a few years."

So, were the Demons flawless from mid-way in the second half. Flawless Def: without any imperfections or defects; perfect. I think they were.With ruck dominance, and scoring so furiously quickly, they grabbed the chance to play flawless footy for forty minutes.

As an experienced loser, I had no interest in reading media match reports. Instead, I waited for evidence-based analysis to emerge, some from former coaches. I look at match statistics of course, but they don't tell anywhere near the whole story. The psychology of team sport is where the story lies.

Played again, you could have won, and won strongly. You could even have played "flawless footy".

In summary, well done on a great season. The Dogs' reputation is enhanced by the way you go to the Grand Final after being tossed into 5th place, so late in the home and away.

Enjoy the best of the analysis you can find. Everyone is different, but I found it helped.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

20. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing DR. Two weeks on and i am at ease with what we achieved and (to some extent) the loss. Never happy or satisfied. But I know full well no one could have stopped the Dees once they got on the roll. No one. However things could have been very different prior to the 8.42 point of the third quarter. Extra goal or two, bounce of the ball to Smith instead of Harmes etc. We will never know. But the one thing I take from the game is that you can’t be anything but a very good team leading by 19 points deep into the third quarter. We will be up to our neck in contention for the next half dozen years. There is no GF hangover this time only the will to take the next step.

22. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post