Thanks Thanks:  46
Likes Likes:  519
Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne V Western Bulldogs - 2021 Grand Final Thread

That was shit, then it was awesome, then it was shit, so shit.

First quarter we were a shambles. We were so fumbly and nervous, and basically didn't settle for the entire quarter. To only be 20 points down at the break was a miracle, especially considering that margin was blown out by two atrocious errors from the usually composed Bailey Williams. Next quarter and a half were great, good in the middle, defence tough and distributed well, forward line wasn't really functional but it was effective. From then on it was all Melbourne, and that was not fun.

We sucked hard tonight when we couldn't control the ball and the tempo of the game. When we weren't on top and dominating possession we were nowhere. We have shown a few times this year (Essendon being the other perfect example) that when we aren't winning the ball then the opposition has a free ticket to do whatever they want, and if they can generate a run on it will be super damaging. We desperately need to find a way to make our bad patches not hurt us in this manner, and grind them out instead. A ruckman who can negate should be priority one next season, Martin tried but can't go the distance and English is not a good ruck at all and especially when he just has to not be beaten. If we find a way to just stop the bleeding when it occurs then we would've hung in there tonight so much longer.

I'm hoping some guys don't come out of that with mental scars. Many were clearly very nervous and jittery in the first quarter but luckily settled as the game went on, but some (mainly Keath) never got there.

That horror 5 minutes broke us and we didn't look like winning once it started, which was very dissapointing. That last quarter we did the opposite of fight it out, and while I don't doubt many guys were sore and tired (Libba and Macrae definitely looked broken) I don't think it was asking too much for us to still fight it out.

Melbourne were incredible for the last quarter and a half and it's pretty hard to deny them credit for beating us, we just couldn't/wouldn't go with them in the end. I am extremely disappointed Tom McDonald gets credited with a couple of goals after completely spudding up the game when it mattered. The ball is in their court to be the new "team to beat", that was pretty convincing, but I don't think we are far off. If we do find a way to stop those run ons that teams get we are good enough at everything else to take it up to them.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat, kruder, angelopetraglia, josie, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Cheers mate.

Not sure any one else realises we just got spanked in a gf.
    Sure am, I watched the whole thing. Even the presentation. It *!*!*!*!ing sucked. Now I’m going to bed. And tomorrow I’ll wake up, and the result will be the same. But if it makes you feel better, humanity is on an inexorable downward spiral to extinction, so one day, there’ll be no record of the game and nobody to care.

Post Thanks / Like

Also how the hell did neither coach get a sub on? For us we could've used it to try to change our setup (or drag someone who was a liability) and for them surely you find someone to donate 10 minutes of game time so Jordon can say he actually played in the flag he has a medal from?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Sure am, I watched the whole thing. Even the presentation. It *!*!*!*!ing sucked. Now I’m going to bed. And tomorrow I’ll wake up, and the result will be the same. But if it makes you feel better, humanity is on an inexorable downward spiral to extinction, so one day, there’ll be no record of the game and nobody to care.
    Hahaha. I often find it weird how we get so worked up about a friggin sport. I mean I do too. I feel like absolute shit right now. Things are bleak. At the end of the day though it is just a sport that doesn’t mean shit in the grand scheme of things. I’ll never be able to emotionally attach from this club though. I sometimes want to like right now. I’m telling myself life could be a whole lot worse. But it still hurts to see such a disappointing display. But really 2021 doesn’t count anyway just like 2020 they’ll be forgotten years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Also how the hell did neither coach get a sub on? For us we could've used it to try to change our setup (or drag someone who was a liability) and for them surely you find someone to donate 10 minutes of game time so Jordon can say he actually played in the flag he has a medal from?
    There is no tactics.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 30-09-2021 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Removed non pc parts

Post Thanks / Like

Did they do a coaches presser and I missed it? Have we heard from Bevo yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Hahaha. I often find it weird how we get so worked up about a friggin sport. I mean I do too. I feel like absolute shit right now. Things are bleak. At the end of the day though it is just a sport that doesn’t mean shit in the grand scheme of things. I’ll never be able to emotionally attach from this club though. I sometimes want to like right now. I’m telling myself life could be a whole lot worse. But it still hurts to see such a disappointing display. But really 2021 doesn’t count anyway just like 2020 they’ll be forgotten years.
    Maybe it’s because I’m sober tonight. Maybe the last year has given me some perspective. But I’ve really come to a realisation that for all that sport matters to me and this club in particular, you have to be willing to accept heartache as part of the package. If I you can’t, well maybe following a team isn’t for you. Doesn’t mean I wasn’t screaming at my tv before 3/4 time, or absolutely gutted afterwards, but life will go on, inevitably.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it’s because I’m sober tonight. Maybe the last year has given me some perspective. But I’ve really come to a realisation that for all that sport matters to me and this club in particular, you have to be willing to accept heartache as part of the package. If I you can’t, well maybe following a team isn’t for you. Doesn’t mean I wasn’t screaming at my tv before 3/4 time, or absolutely gutted afterwards, but life will go on, inevitably.
    Could not agree more. Read this many years ago. It sums it up really well https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/03/sport...orts-fans.html

10. Thanks The Underdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you didn’t enjoy my reflection but I was replying to someone who wasn’t being a *!*!*!*!.

I’ve only been a member for 21 years. And only on this forum for 14, so it’s only been glory years over that time.
    And nobody is saying it’s good that we lost. Pretty sure most of us have described how shit it was, just some of us are just being a little less dramatic about it.

12. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you didn’t enjoy my reflection but I was replying to someone who wasn’t being a *!*!*!*!.

I’ve only been a member for 21 years. And only on this forum for 14, so it’s only been glory years over that time.
    And nobody is saying it’s good that we lost. Pretty sure most of us have described how shit it was, just some of us are just being a little less dramatic about it.
    Edit : Removed due to my stupidity.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 30-09-2021 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Unwarranted sh1t post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    So 4 Gfs since 1925.

This is the worst.

Can I be dramatic or is getting fked ok?
    You always be Essendon and have zero finals wins 6,230 days.

Post Thanks / Like

If this doesn't sting our boys I don't what will. Melbourne sticking it right up us with a copycat mocking of our leaked celebration https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1441770827540692999?s=20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Love you AP.

Really want to downvote this but im not sad enough to have a FB account.

Post Thanks / Like

That has cheered me up a bit
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I’m sure they are feeling a lot better than we all are tonight.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.