Thanks Thanks:  46
Likes Likes:  519
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne V Western Bulldogs - 2021 Grand Final Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The more pressure that's heaped on the Demons the better.

We weren't favourites in all the games in 2016 from memory. 3/4 here I'm ok with that.
    If Gawn is able to pull another game out like his prelim performance, good luck to him. It's much more likely that he comes back to his baseline (which is still bloody great) than it is to have another GOAT type game.

No one is speaking about the fact that Bont hasn't been in our top 3 or 4 in any of our finals so far. He is well and truly due for a big one.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I am certainly optimistic about our chances.

We have precedent.

When Bevo has us winning finals we have won them all.

Bevo has never lost a final in Perth.

Goodwin's previous finals campaigns (well singular campaign) have ended with a loss in Perth.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If Gawn is able to pull another game out like his prelim performance, good luck to him. It's much more likely that he comes back to his baseline (which is still bloody great) than it is to have another GOAT type game.

No one is speaking about the fact that Bont hasn't been in our top 3 or 4 in any of our finals so far. He is well and truly due for a big one.
    Based on evidence what's more likely to happen? Gawn goes on a tear like the PF or Bont has 25 and kicks a couple? Have we lost a game this year when that happens?

Post Thanks / Like

Added to the above

We have improved the personnel on our previous meetings and Melbourne are basically the same (Bowey for Hunt is the only change)

For us

Bruce replaced by Gardner with possibly Schache moving forward
    Ed Richards replaced by Easton Wood
    Riley Garcia replaced by Josh Dunkley
    Jamarra replaced by Stef Martin
    Anthony Scott replaced by Adam Treloar

plus Alex Keath likely to play more than 10 minutes and instead of Zaine Cordy

We are certainly an improved team.

5. Likes bornadog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Based on evidence what's more likely to happen? Gawn goes on a tear like the PF or Bont has 25 and kicks a couple? Have we lost a game this year when that happens?
    If you framing a market for Bont to get 25 and 2 goals or Maxi to just get 2 goals it would be overwhelmingly odds on for Bont.

While Maxi is an important player, I think Petracca and Oliver need to outperform Bont and Macrae to prevent us winning.

Post Thanks / Like

Picked this up off twitter

The dogs are 7-1 when Martin has played.
    He has rucked against Grundy, Nic Nat, Goldy, big O, Flynn, Nank, Darcy* and Lycett.

Both games against the Dees the 2nd ruck has been Sweet and Schache.

Martin, Treloar, Dunkley, Keath and Gardner played 3 games together this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm expecting the commentary after the game if/when we win is along the lines of 'yeah, we got carried away with a performance against a sick, ageing Cats team and probably shouldn't have expected Gawn to do that 2 games in a row'.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Picked this up off twitter

The dogs are 7-1 when Martin has played.
    He has rucked against Grundy, Nic Nat, Goldy, big O, Flynn, Nank, Darcy* and Lycett.

Both games against the Dees the 2nd ruck has been Sweet and Schache.

Martin, Treloar, Dunkley, Keath and Gardner played 3 games together this year.
    The loss for Martin was the Richmond game, when he was basically useless after half time and then didn't play for the next 6 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Melb may not be showing it in interviews, but they will be crapping their pants at the expectation of winning this GF. It’s been a long time since they had a premiership. The weight of the world is on their shoulders. They have shown in the past that when things aren’t going well, they point the fingers. We need this to happen again.

We need a great start, like we did against port. We need them to take more risks than they normally would, hopefully creating enough turnovers to take advantage of.

The media are pretty much saying/expecting Melb to win. The way Gary Lyon craps on, he expects it as well.

Let’s ruin his, and every other demon supporters party.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

If we win, there will be a LOT I’m going to replay. One of the most enjoyable will be seeing Lyon’s tears soak into the Perth turf, as he realises he has to interview Bont, with his Norm Smith medal. I need that in my veins..

14. Likes bornadog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    If we win, there will be a LOT I’m going to replay. One of the most enjoyable will be seeing Lyon’s tears soak into the Perth turf, as he realises he has to interview Bont, with his Norm Smith medal. I need that in my veins..
    How good will On The Couch be next Monday if we salute? Surely he takes the night off the coward

Post Thanks / Like

Who would you rather be?

A. Tipped by everyone, blown by sycophants in media land, had no adversity this year, playing under the weight of mass media and public expectation, pressure and history to boot.

B. The Other Guys. Ignored as much as can be. Adversity all year. Beat them last time and a handful important players added whilst the other 23 is the same. Fighting The World, playing for each other and pride in the jumper without the excess pressure.

Hint. One of them is us, the other is them.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes azabob, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Who would you rather be?

A. Tipped by everyone, blown by sycophants in media land, had no adversity this year, playing under the weight of mass media and public expectation, pressure and history to boot.

B. The Other Guys. Ignored as much as can be. Adversity all year. Beat them last time and a handful important players added whilst the other 23 is the same. Fighting The World, playing for each other and pride in the jumper without the excess pressure.

Hint. One of them is us, the other is them.
    Whichever one has Bont and Naughton

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed in Petracca’s interview on Brownlow night he mentioned several times “when we hold that cup up.” I’m not sure where that fine line is between confidence - I mean, of course you have to believe you can win…and hubris, where you can’t imagine you won’t win.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

20. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I noticed in Petracca’s interview on Brownlow night he mentioned several times “when we hold that cup up.” I’m not sure where that fine line is between confidence - I mean, of course you have to believe you can win…and hubris, where you can’t imagine you won’t win.
    Is there anyone in the footy world who is more in love with himself than Christian?