Thanks Thanks:  46
Likes Likes:  519
Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 41424344454647484950515253 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne V Western Bulldogs - 2021 Grand Final Thread

Not sure if it is a slight. That song is quite popular for celebrations….could be a slight. Could not be. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was.

Anyway we deserve everything. We were crap and completely crumbled. Waking up this morning I’m even more disappointed. That was a complete and utter embarrassment. To dish that shit up in a GF is very concerning. A lot of work needs to be done this off-season.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow what is the last comment about?

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really think the game had four phases.

Phase one: We didn't handle the pressure. We made mistakes. We were panicked. We gifted them goals. We looked gone. We did not look like we were ready to play. This also has to be examined. If they kicked straight it could have been worse at quarter time.

Phase two: How quickly can a game change? We kicked goals in quick succession. We started to get first use of the ball. We took our chances. Bont kicking set shots. Treloar with some beautiful snaps. They looked flat. They were devoid of energy. They started to panic.

Phase three: Game slowed. We started to play more tempo footy. We had control without hurting them. We got to 19 points up and looked like we just needed another goal to blow the game apart. We had a few half chances we didn't take. I actually thought we were home which is very unlike me. They looked broken.

Phase four:
    We got absolutely obliterated. They got a spark with a goal from no where. After that it was a centre clearance masterclass which in the 6-6-6 era is difficult to stop when a team is so dominant. Everything went right for them too. They kicked their goals. They got the 50/50 decisions (Shaq getting killed for no free and a goal at the other end in a heartbeat). They had all the momentum and we looked lost. Game over.

5. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Sedat, jeemak, Dry Rot, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the summary.

We are part of this. ( WA boosted by 50m ) We helped lift the economy and people's spirits in a year that was dire.

What is the financial benefit of just being in a final? It means a huge amount of exposure for our sponsors and their support is vital.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

When I post this, know I believe we should’ve been better from this point on, but….

Brayshaw’s goal in the 3rd : Weightman was both held and ridden into the ground without the ball by Pickett, massive miss from the ump

Still can’t believe Brayshaw wasn’t pinged for either high or ITB on Schache.

Crucial in the 3rd quarter momentum.

Last few minutes of the 3rd, Jackson was impressive in the ruck - but the ball was still in dispute there, and our mids just couldn’t win out.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

8. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was pretty matter of fact about it all last night, today I am super flat. Just feels like a missed opportunity and while I give Melbourne huge credit for lifting and outplaying us from the mid 3rd quarter onwards I can't help but question that we could and should have done something about it.

So shitty that again, like the Essendon game, we let the opposition just waltz out of centre clearances in the most damaging fashion. They weren't just clearances they were highways to the goal. We desperately needed to just sit on it and force the secondary stoppage so that we could roll numbers up and make it a scrap. Those three goals broke us and if we stop one of them and at the very least make the second one harder then we are still right in the game and we showed that when the game was in the balance we were arguably the better side, their goals in those moments came from half chances like the Bailey Smith fumble or the Petracca dribble.

Stuff like when Treloar jumped on the ball and instead of holding it in and allowing us to surround the next ballup with numbers he did this shitty handball out that got intercepted killed us. Shit like allowing them to just have this wave of explosive mids get goalside with the ball killed us. I'm not sure they would've made it in there in time but after the first one we should've been setting up our quickest forward (J or Weightman) to sprint in there as soon as the ball was bounced and try to take out their furthest back option asap.

We showed that when we could control the ball we were better, both with pressure and with ball movement. Conceding the ball from centre clearances in the most damaging fashion killed us, and because it meant they didn't even miss it meant we didn't even get to touch it and re settle the game.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Likes Sedat, SonofScray, merantau, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    No idea but would love to know. Anyone?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    No idea but would love to know. Anyone?
    I'd love Bevo to clarify the comments better
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I was pretty matter of fact about it all last night, today I am super flat. Just feels like a missed opportunity and while I give Melbourne huge credit for lifting and outplaying us from the mid 3rd quarter onwards I can't help but question that we could and should have done something about it.

So shitty that again, like the Essendon game, we let the opposition just waltz out of centre clearances in the most damaging fashion. They weren't just clearances they were highways to the goal. We desperately needed to just sit on it and force the secondary stoppage so that we could roll numbers up and make it a scrap. Those three goals broke us and if we stop one of them and at the very least make the second one harder then we are still right in the game and we showed that when the game was in the balance we were arguably the better side, their goals in those moments came from half chances like the Bailey Smith fumble or the Petracca dribble.

Stuff like when Treloar jumped on the ball and instead of holding it in and allowing us to surround the next ballup with numbers he did this shitty handball out that got intercepted killed us. Shit like allowing them to just have this wave of explosive mids get goalside with the ball killed us. I'm not sure they would've made it in there in time but after the first one we should've been setting up our quickest forward (J or Weightman) to sprint in there as soon as the ball was bounced and try to take out their furthest back option asap.

We showed that when we could control the ball we were better, both with pressure and with ball movement. Conceding the ball from centre clearances in the most damaging fashion killed us, and because it meant they didn't even miss it meant we didn't even get to touch it and re settle the game.
    The fact it has happened SO many times, and now on the biggest stage of them all when we were 19 up .... I mean, where to from here?

The lessons have not been learned.

I think this is why I feel a sense of helplessness for this list moving forward, even though it's still a good list.

The ruck situation is bad, we know. But it's more than that. Is it coaching? Is it personnel? Is it both?
    W00F!

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd love Bevo to clarify the comments better
    Guessing it could be one or all of….

The prelim celebration video leaking on social media (hasn’t that ended well….)

Dropping Gardner and it leaking the day before teams announced
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Guessing it could be one or all of….

The prelim celebration video leaking on social media (hasn’t that ended well….)

Dropping Gardner and it leaking the day before teams announced
    Bevo referenced home and away according to an earlier post
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Bevo referenced home and away according to an earlier post
    He spoke about losing Bruce. Having to shuffle the team.

18. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Injuries and players coming back from long term injuries. He said it was difficult adjusting and it clicked in Week 1 of the finals.

20. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Feeling far less generous as the day is going on.

The margin is embarrassing. But probably not the story. Still, it’s a damning score line that shouldn’t be ignored.

The catastrophic final few minutes of the third quarter is the big story to dissect. A familiar one at that. There’s work to do for the players in the guts there, they simply need to do something. There’s a massive criticism of the coaching group there, it’s been an ongoing issue.

Bevo said we’d managed that area of our game well. I don’t want it managed, I want it fixed.

22. Likes DOG GOD, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Injuries and players coming back from long term injuries. He said it was difficult adjusting and it clicked in Week 1 of the finals.
    Oh is that all…..ok doesn’t explain the poor showing then.