Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  145
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets make the hard calls

With a humbling loss fresh in everyone's minds what will be our approach before reloading again for 2022

Coaches
    Do we look to find a couple of new assistants to freshen up our approach or do we stick with the team that has served us well in 2021? Lets assume that the departure of King has been confirmed.

2021 GF 22 vs 2022 Round 1 22
    Who comes in for Round 1 in 2022 and who gets dropped?

Our trade targets?
    We need a ruckman but what else?
    And which players are we prepared to part with assuming some clubs come calling?

Lets unwrapped the mystery of Josh Schache
    Where does he play in 2022? Do we keep him?

Do we just need some minor tweaks or a more comprehensive review?
    It's probably not as bad as it looks on today's performance but what do we need to do to keep improving?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets make the hard calls

**deleted**
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 30-09-2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Deleted post

Post Thanks / Like

Coaches
    Steven King is walking to GCS, so that's already our midfield/ruck coach gone. We need to target someone who has fresh ideas (not someone who's been with us already). Someone who can fix our defensive mid-field game and ruck work. I'd PERSONALLY move on both Smith and Hansen as well, I WOULD of targeted Teague as our forward line coach, arguably one of the best in the business, but that ship has sailed, so I doubt we move on our other two already-contracted coaches but a replacement for King is a good step in the right direction.

Can't comment on ins'/outs' for round 1 yet.

Trade Targets:
    1. A number 1 ruckman who can play the season out, if BigFooty trade thread is to believed, we're after Ceglar from the Hawks, this does NOT thrill me and isn't fixing the issue long term. If we could somehow pry Nank out of Richmond I'd be happy with that, I'd also consider straight swapping Lynch for Lippa.

So our ruck department would look like:
    Nank
    Lynch
    English
    Sweet (rookie)

We need a ready-made KPD badly, Darcy isn't the answer, his a bean pole and will take years to come on, Tarrant from NM would of been great, but again, his off to Richmond so I'm not sure who target now. Realistically we have ONE A-Grade defender in Keath and then a bunch of 3rd strings in Gardiner, Cordy and Young, we need another topshelf A Grade defender down back.
    Wood needs a tap on the shoulder and to be shown the door, why we gave him two years I'll never know, I'd rather give Buku / Schache that role next year then give Wood another game.

Midfield is fine, needs tuning, and a competent ruckman, wouldn't target anything there.

Forward line still lacks a natural crumbing forward, Weightman flys to much and needs to stay down, word is our future F/S in Kai Dimattina is a very good small crumbing forward but I don't think we can pick him up until next years draft, so I doubt it's something we look to fill anyway considering our other concerns.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is English going to be the ruck/forward we hoped he would be? I’ve been worried for a while. Tonight made me that bit more worried. If he wants to move back to WA I think we should seriously consider it.

I also think we should consider one or two experienced, seasoned coach assistants (ex senior coaches) to support Bevo.

A competitive ruck of course. Gardner to replace Cordy. Smith & Treloar more time in the midfield as we need more speed there. Richards in side. Perhaps Caleb to play more midfield.

Post Thanks / Like

The King departure was confirmed by Sam Edmund. Hopefully we go outside the club for a replacement.

Would like to see Ed come in for Easton. Not as strong in the air, but strong bodied and gives pace and run. Marra up forward with Schache, Naughton and Cody.
    More time for Smith and Treloar in the middle. We lacked massively for burst tonight when it counted.

Aside from Lipinski and Wallis, I wouldn’t be surprised if West wants out, although i rate him and would like to hold onto him but I can’t see us doing anything drastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    The King departure was confirmed by Sam Edmund. Hopefully we go outside the club for a replacement.

Would like to see Ed come in for Easton. Not as strong in the air, but strong bodied and gives pace and run. Marra up forward with Schache, Naughton and Cody.
    More time for Smith and Treloar in the middle. We lacked massively for burst tonight when it counted.

Aside from Lipinski and Wallis, I wouldn’t be surprised if West wants out, although i rate him and would like to hold onto him but I can’t see us doing anything drastic.
    We have a contract infront of Young and he hasn't signed it yet, good chance his off as well.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think anything bad happened.

So just keep keeping on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    We have a contract infront of Young and he hasn't signed it yet, good chance his off as well.
    Yeah, you’re right. Can’t see him staying. Can’t blame him. Wish he’d been given a better shot down back.

Post Thanks / Like

Clubs needs to announce a review of the GF to learn and explain to us what happened and why.

Schache to defence. Every day with Morris. If games call for him to swing forward so be it. But he’s got in demand skills down back.

Decent fit first ruckman, not negotiable. Another KPP be it forward or back based on Schache.

I’d ask Wood to seriously think about retiring
    I’d only consider Martin as a rookie only
    I’d trade Lippa, Young, Wallis
    Not sure anyone wants Crozier or West but I’m open to listening to offers
    If JJ wants to play HBF and get super at another club, I’m open
    I’d cut Jong, Martin (R), Cavarra, Hayes and maybe Sweet depending on trade weeks
    I’d grab Sam Darcy with glee
    On Darcy, I want an aggressive strategy with our Future First on the table too for a player of need
    I want new JJ, Jamaine Jones as a Free Agent
    I’d consider Raak & MacPherson to bulk up our defence in non KPDs

I want a non bulldog senior assistant. I like Sanderson.

I want more consistent MC and favourites earning games.

I want heaps of sports psychology sessions to get passed tonight in a meaningful way.
    I want as much time invested in Gardner & VDM after their disappointment

I’d want an early preseason for VFL players who haven’t played since 3 months ago.
    I want to hear about Marra continuing his extra sessions
    I wouldn’t rush Josh Bruce back. Even more so Toby.

There is a lot to do to just keep up with the teams chasing us. We need to do even more to go one better.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

English for a competitive ruck
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Yeah, you’re right. Can’t see him staying. Can’t blame him. Wish he’d been given a better shot down back.
    If I was West, Young, Lippa and Wallis shoes, I would be looking elsewhere. Scott, Garcia, VDM and even Butler seems ahead of them. We should try to trade them out whilst they have currency. Gardner would have very high currency at the moment, he goes under rated.

We seriously need a burst type midfielder. Melbourne have Oliver, Petracca and Harmes. Brayshw has some skill and knows how to find the ball. B.Smith is probably 2 years away from having the maturity in his frame. It was sickening to see Oliver break 3 tackles in the centre, and kick away with the ball. We need to learn to make tackles stick.

Sam Powell Pepper ? He would infuriate our fans with his inconsistency, but his a powerful unit. Seems out of favour at Port.

Delist Cavarra, Hayes, good VFL players but they would not take us to deep into December. We need to cut deep and move on anyone who just won't make it.

All players get some good sports pysch, and learn to switch on and be in the moment. Hannan had a poor game today. Cody loses his footy too much and he just needs to learn to keeps his feet. I would put games in Scott. His got good speed, good tackler and keeps his feet. Like wise for McNeil, but I see Scott slightly ahead of him.

Get some serious treatment on VDM hammies, pilates and strengthening work

We cannot have Wood and Cordy in the same side. Their deficiencies leaves too much for the others to fall back on and they both are not that strong overhead like a Lever/May. Put Gardner to be the number 1 defender, and let Keith be the interceptor. Sadly Young can play that role but he may be looking elsewhere, but his got terrible body positioning at times and gets too easily beaten.

I would be going after Nic Nat and see if we can get him for 2 years. English got beaten by Jackson today in the third quater to much dismay. His aggression goes missing.

Schache needs to put on 4-5kg and start learning to use his weight and power. Do 100'sof bench presses, chin ups, whatever to get POWER and STRENGTH in his core. He needs to learn how to outbody and outmuscle smaller opponent. Get a Jarrod Malloy like figure ( Travis cloke would have been handy) who taught the Rocca brothers to throw their weight around

Whoever is Melbourne's midfield coach, they have seriously put together a crazy talented unit who know how to turn up a gear. It was frightening and embarrassing to see our mids get totally smashed tonight in the space of 90 seconds.
    Last edited by macca; 26-09-2021 at 12:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

How does English fit into our plans moving forward?
    Forward, Ruck, part time ruck?
    If we are going to lose him in a year or two is it worth us pulling the trigger now and getting quality value?
    If we can wrangle a quality back, Improved ruckman and points for Darcy could be worth it.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Too soon to think through some of this but a couple of thoughts from me:

Our best is well and truly good enough - wholesale changes aren’t required, we need to make incremental changes in a few areas.
    Schache should spend the summer working as a KPD. He can be that zone off defender who intercepts and I think we complement him with Keath and Cordy/Gardner. 3 headed monster at both ends.
    A genuine ruck would be great - albeit it wasn’t really where we lost that game. English has a big future and should still spend at least 30% of his game time in the ruck.
    Marra and Darcy should be given every opportunity to work themselves into the best 22 early doors. Get fit, get strong, add a different look and will make us a more dangerous side.
    With 6:6:6 the midfield battle is just so critical so we need to have a way to stem the tide when it goes against us. Not sure if it’s the players we’ve got in there or the structure, or both. But. We need to find a way to grind teams to a halt.
    We have plenty of players on the fringes who we need to make decisions on (or they need to decide) - Lipinski, Crozier, Wallis, Young etc. probably favour stability and depth, but if any of these players look elsewhere we need to be targeting role players to fill the void.

Best 22 in 22:
    B: Duryea, Keath, Gardner
    Hb: Dale, Schache, Williams
    C: Daniel, Libba, Hunter
    Hf: B Smith, Naughton, Treloar
    F: English, Marra, Weightman
    R: TBD, Bont, Macrae
    IC: Dunkley, R Smith, Richards, Garcia - with another 10+ who are all very stiff. VDM, Hannan, McLean, Bruce, Cordy, Darcy, Scott, McNeil, West, etc etc. Gee it’s a deep list with plenty of scope to improve.

16. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    How does English fit into our plans moving forward?
    Forward, Ruck, part time ruck?
    If we are going to lose him in a year or two is it worth us pulling the trigger now and getting quality value?
    If we can wrangle a quality back, Improved ruckman and points for Darcy could be worth it.
    This is the challenge KT.
    Do we find him some support and see if he has another level as a primary ruckman?
    Is he good enough as a forward to play there 75% of the time?
    Is he going to be one of those perceived versatile players who just doesn't cut it as a primary ruckman or key forward?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

18. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This is the challenge KT.
    Do we find him some support and see if he has another level as a primary ruckman?
    Is he good enough as a forward to play there 75% of the time?
    Is he going to be one of those perceived versatile players who just doesn't cut it as a primary ruckman or key forward?
    He’s a good player and will probably be a very good player somewhere else. Trade him out if the value is there. Feel like we are always trying to retrofit the system around him. If not him. The ruck situation in general.