Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  145
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets make the hard calls

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I don’t know why Young hasn’t replaced Cordy or Wood for this reason. Bevo obviously doesn’t trust him for one reason or another. But the kid can take a mark and reads the ball well. It’s another one of those unsolved mysteries.
    Good points. Maybe he is a work in progress. He is still very young for a Key position player. Hopefully he is fast tracked and further developed in the off-season.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know why Young hasn’t replaced Cordy or Wood for this reason. Bevo obviously doesn’t trust him for one reason or another. But the kid can take a mark and reads the ball well. It’s another one of those unsolved mysteries.
    I wonder if Cordy would be best 22 if Gardner had played a full season?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I wonder if Cordy would be best 22 if Gardner had played a full season?
    I don’t think so. I mean it was Gardner who started the season and Cordy in the VFL if I recall correctly. It’s why I was surprised Cordy was picked ahead of Gardner for the GF. I reckon we’ll see Gardner replace him again next year assuming he stays healthy. If we can’t land a KPD in a trade, we’ve surely got to put a lot of time into Schache and Young down back.

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Not that I'll ever watch the replay, but any one of our starting mids should have decided to take the responsibility and go hard one-on-one to stop Petracca's influence out of the middle late in the 3rd. Are modern day mids not capable of switching automatically to a defensive mindset when the situation demands?
    Thats a bit hard seeing that 2 of our best mids were on the pine straight away after we were 19 points in front and then only appeared after Melbourne were in front again, Bont should never, ever leave the ground, have a rest in the forward pocket, and whoever made the decision that we had the game won and we could rest them on the bench, should be sacked asap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jam Donuts View Post
    Thats a bit hard seeing that 2 of our best mids were on the pine straight away after we were 19 points in front and then only appeared after Melbourne were in front again, Bont should never, ever leave the ground, have a rest in the forward pocket, and whoever made the decision that we had the game won and we could rest them on the bench, should be sacked asap.
    Bont rotation was quite possibly the worst timed rotation in interchange history. In light of Bont not being on the ground, I would have expected Dunks or Macrae or Libba to be proactive and have the game sense to go defensive side of Petracca after at worst the 2nd goal of their run (when we were still a goal in front). It was a fatal error of judgement by our senior mids at the time.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes Funke disco, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Bont rotation was quite possibly the worst timed rotation in interchange history. In light of Bont not being on the ground, I would have expected Dunks or Macrae or Libba to be proactive and have the game sense to go defensive side of Petracca after at worst the 2nd goal of their run (when we were still a goal in front). It was a fatal error of judgement by our mids at the time.
    It's torture thinking about it.

We had a hand on the cup and Bont had a hand on the Norm Smith medal.

I guess the question is, what do we do moving forward? This midfield capitulation has happened FAR too often to throw out the
    "we'll learn from this and train for it" line.

Without studying it more intently, who are the biggest culprits or who can we move into another area of the ground? I said it on another thread but can Macrae transition to the wing? Libba/Dunkley are limited both in speed of foot / where they can play.

I'm at a loss as to how we can actually rectify the problem.
    W00F!

9. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, Mutz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

I guess the question is, what do we do moving forward? This midfield capitulation has happened FAR too often to throw out the

Without studying it more intently, who are the biggest culprits or who can we move into another area of the ground? I said it on another thread but can Macrae transition to the wing? Libba/Dunkley are limited both in speed of foot / where they can play.

Mindset and positioning is where to start.

You don't have to be quick to not be aggressive/ overly offencive in how you set up.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

You don't have to be quick to not be aggressive/ overly offencive in how you set up.
    Viney waltzed through for one of the goals and he is slower than a Clydesdale. Any of the players mentioned could have done it if they had the mindset and the game sense at the time. It's brutally harsh but the differences on GF day are magnified 10-fold. Our senior players in our biggest area of strength let us down on the biggest stage and at the worst possible time.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

12. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

This is my biggest worry. This is beyond a learning situation. If this hasn’t been learnt yet, it never will. Honestly it’s pretty fundamental stuff. So if we haven’t figured it out, then it’s time for either personnel or positional changes for some people. Identifying root cause would be a first step. Is it dumb players who just don’t get it? Laziness? Or poor situational awareness to know when to adjust? Or are there egos at play here?

14. Likes Mutz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think so. I mean it was Gardner who started the season and Cordy in the VFL if I recall correctly. It’s why I was surprised Cordy was picked ahead of Gardner for the GF. I reckon we’ll see Gardner replace him again next year assuming he stays healthy. If we can’t land a KPD in a trade, we’ve surely got to put a lot of time into Schache and Young down back.
    Are they staying? I got the impression that their papers were stamped a long time ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Are they staying? I got the impression that their papers were stamped a long time ago.
    Isn’t Schache still under contract?

We’ve offered Young another deal but he’s understandably assessing his options.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Young has a deal in front of him Schache is contracted for another year we won't be moving either of them on unless they want to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn’t Schache still under contract?

We’ve offered Young another deal but he’s understandably assessing his options.
    Can someone add a clause to Young’s offer that he will get more than 6 games next year. It’s time to chase him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

I agree and it should be an easy fix but for whatever reason, it hasn't been.

It happens from time to time for most sides, but the regularity and the way it's happened with our group has been truly astonishing.

I just have no faith or trust that anything will change next year if we leave it as is. The club / coach / players spoke repeatedly about us training for it throughout finals, yet it happens in a third quarter of a GF when we're in a near unbeatable position.

By my count it happened;
    v Richmond
    v Carlton (but we arrested it)
    v Melbourne (twice)
    v Essendon
    v Hawthorn
    v Port Adelaide

That is utterly ridiculous for a contending side with, on paper, arguably the best mid group in the comp. And unforgivable.
    W00F!

20. Likes DOG GOD, Mutz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How about Young taking over from Wood/Cordy and become the intercept player we are missing?

We can't play Wood and Cordy in the backline anymore.
    Is that both of them? or do you mean we can only play one of them in the 22?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"