Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  145
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets make the hard calls

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    For me the player who impressed most in the finals was Young.

He is not a ruckman but, because we had no one else, he was thrown into that role. And we all saw him get smashed. What nobody has mentioned is despite Essendon and Brisbane winning the hitouts they couldnÂ’t control the centre. Our midfielders won the centre clearances ( 14:7 and 13:10) in games we were worried about. Compare that to the GF. Our centres lost the clearances 11:19

I hope Young has impressed someone at another club who will give him some real opportunities.
    Danjul, what is your thoughts of Schache as a defender?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is that both of them? or do you mean we can only play one of them in the 22?
    I don't think we can play either them if we still want to play Williams, Dale, Daniel & Duryea in that zone. We need more height & intercepting capabilities.

If we don't add any ready-made defenders to our squad I would be training all pre-season to have Keath, Gardner & Schache as our key defenders with the players added above & Richards as our medium sized/ smalls.

I can't see the improvement in Cordy & Wood to make us a better team which is what we need to drive towards.

3. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure we would get much for Josh. Worth keeping as a depth player I guess.
    Cordy, his time may have come.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I don't think we can play either them if we still want to play Williams, Dale, Daniel & Duryea in that zone. We need more height & intercepting capabilities.

If we don't add any ready-made defenders to our squad I would be training all pre-season to have Keath, Gardner & Schache as our key defenders with the players added above & Richards as our medium sized/ smalls.

I can't see the improvement in Cordy & Wood to make us a better team which is what we need to drive towards.
    I tend to agree but I was interested in BAD's view.
    A number of us have failed to see the benefits that Wood brings us for a couple of years now which made his 2 year offer confusing.
    I don't think he can be trusted to play on talls or smaller players either.
    We also know that Cordy is more of a battler and perhaps a depth player for us.

In an ideal set-up we play 3 talls like Keath, Gardner and Young or Schache) with three good users of the footy out of Dale, Daniel, Duryea, Williams and maybe Richards. Gardner is mobile enough to be matched against more mid sized opponents if needed.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 27-09-2021 at 06:13 PM. Reason: edit

Post Thanks / Like

Is that both of them? or do you mean we can only play one of them in the 22?
    I tend to agree but I wasn't interested in BAD's view.
    Well why did you ask me then?

Sorry that should have read was interested. I will fix
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Well why did you ask me then?
    Im sure he meant he was interested BAD, surely...

Post Thanks / Like

Danjul, what is your thoughts of Schache as a defender?
    Against Port Adelaide Schache nullified Aliir and helped bring Naughton into the game. He also had 4 shots at goal ( one hit the post and one was touched on the line). In the GF I thought he held Lever but the delivery into the forward 50 was very poor so neither he nor Naughton could have any positive influence. Despite that I see Naughton and Schache working together as important forwards until Bruce returns.

His marking has definitely improved and he is reading the flight of the ball better, not relying on leads. I think he could become a significant defender when Bruce is ready to return.

Until then I would use Young as a key defender. Another preseason on top of his last few games wrestling with quality ruckmen should make him an versatile asset. Even though beaten in the ruck the opponent wasnÂ’t able to dominate and position the ball, so our midfielders were able to win the ball ( more often than not).

That makes him my preferred second ruck allowing English to focus his development on becoming a pure forward. Franklin, Hipwood, Daniher, Dixon, Brown etc are all taller than Martin but are either rarely or never put in the ruck to be beaten up.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see JUH putting in a big pre season and be ready to go in round one. If the opposition defenders concentrate on Astro and Scheche JUH can get run riot.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I can see JUH putting in a big pre season and be ready to go in round one. If the opposition defenders concentrate on Astro and Scheche JUH can get run riot.
    I think that’s the kind of upside our squad has, and it’s really significant.

But we bloody need a ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a youngster out of contract that we can shake out?

Isaac cumming?

Or are we hamstrung by having no first round pick due to Darcy

Post Thanks / Like

What about Duryea as the vice captain/onfield type "voice" leader? I agree that Bont is more of a lead by example type leader and we need someone onfield who can organise and act as a strategist.

I also considered Keath but he doesn't seem to be a big talker out on the ground. We need someone who can say "OK boys this is what we are going to do" when things aren't going our way.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

14. Likes Bulldog Revolution, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Is there a youngster out of contract that we can shake out?

Isaac cumming?

Or are we hamstrung by having no first round pick due to Darcy
    One or two low key trades and maybe a FA signing is more likely because we just don't have the currency of picks to exchange.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What about Duryea as the vice captain/onfield type "voice" leader? I agree that Bont is more of a lead by example type leader and we need someone onfield who can organise and act as a strategist.

I also considered Keath but he doesn't seem to be a big talker out on the ground. We need someone who can say "OK boys this is what we are going to do" when things aren't going our way.
    I like this idea. Ideally Dunkley would also step up to assist in the midfield.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

17. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Official or not, Hunter is our VC and our most vocal on the field in terms of positioning. He sees the game better than any other player on our list. Bont has even labelled him and on-field coach.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

19. Likes GVGjr, SquirrelGrip, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Official or not, Hunter is our VC and our most vocal on the field in terms of positioning. He sees the game better than any other player on our list. Bont has even labelled him and on-field coach.
    I hear this a lot, but why does nothing change?

How hard would it have been for the wings (to which Hunter is one) to take up a sweeper position at the end of the 3rd qtr to ensure Melbourne weren’t busting out the front of the stoppage?