Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  145
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets make the hard calls

I mentioned this before but we should have persevered with Sweet while Martin was out and I can see why Sweet may look at other options. For a team crying out for a ruckman we have one under our noses and who's to say any of the other left overs out there would be any better.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Have a late growth spurt to get to 202cm and suddenly everyone is interested in you.

More seriously however, I hope for us that Young stays.

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Young exploring options, Sweet getting courted by rival clubs and Martin Cooked. Hope Sam has had a plan cooking.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/682678?f...S2t0a2M_75JRtA
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

3. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Yes we got Bruce and Keath in but nothing was stopping us trying to get something else of at least "solid enough to call upon" quality.
    Not sure how we were going to do that with no draft picks left.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not sure how we were going to do that with no draft picks left.
    What did we get for Tom Campbell?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Not much I think, but he was gone after 2017
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I mentioned this before but we should have persevered with Sweet while Martin was out and I can see why Sweet may look at other options. For a team crying out for a ruckman we have one under our noses and who's to say any of the other left overs out there would be any better.
    Last year against Melbourne the Dogs had 13 hitouts for the whole game.

Macrae and Dunkley contributed 1 each, Bruce 5 . English had 6 hitouts and 6 disposals, proving that he is not a ruckman. Gawn didnÂ’t play.

The next week English had 10 hitouts and a couple of weeks later he only managed 8 against Ryder. The concept of developing English into the number 1 ruckman was and is flawed.

8. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In 2017 Campbell gave Goldstein a hiding, 49 hitouts to 25. I didnÂ’t get to that game but a friend who did said he was best on ground. The following week the Dogs played West Coast and he had 47 hitouts and 9 disposals (Stringer also had 9). West Coast had 32 hitouts. The next week He was dropped from the team. Roughead was then the first ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    In 2017 Campbell gave Goldstein a hiding, 49 hitouts to 25. I didnÂ’t get to that game but a friend who did said he was best on ground. The following week the Dogs played West Coast and he had 47 hitouts and 9 disposals (Stringer also had 9). West Coast had 32 hitouts. The next week He was dropped from the team. Roughead was then the first ruck.
    Campbell was delisted then rookied by North, we got nothing for him

The market may have changed but if that calibre of player is free then surely we can grab a ruck better than anyone that took the field for us in 2021

Do we win the 2021 premiership if Tom Campbell plays instead of Tim English?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Campbell was delisted then rookied by North, we got nothing for him

The market may have changed but if that calibre of player is free then surely we can grab a ruck better than anyone that took the field for us in 2021

Do we win the 2021 premiership if Tom Campbell plays instead of Tim English?
    No because Bevo wouldn't have played him. We'll go hard at a Ladhams / Lynch type that can cover ground.

My feeling on Ceglar is that it will be weird if get and play him. He's basically everything we've either moved out of the club, or have had since 2017.

Post Thanks / Like

No because Bevo wouldn't have played him. We'll go hard at a Ladhams / Lynch type that can cover ground.

My feeling on Ceglar is that it will be weird if get and play him. He's basically everything we've either moved out of the club, or have had since 2017.
    Port would want a bit for Ladhams and Lynch is a bit of gamble given he is inexperienced.
    Is there much difference between Sweet and Ceglar other than experience?

If we can Young back on board he might have been a pretty good option in supporting English.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Port would want a bit for Ladhams and Lynch is a bit of gamble given he is inexperienced.
    Is there much difference between Sweet and Ceglar other than experience?

If we can Young back on board he might have been a pretty good option in supporting English.
    My feeling is that English simply can't be the number 1 ruck which I think has been mirrored at the club through the acquisition of Martin, and probably the feeling out of Lobbe when we had some interest there.

I'm not totally lost on English being our number 1 ruck but you'd think he needs to finish his apprenticeship and this would be the only reason why I'd be getting a Ceglar type.

Totally agree that we'd need to cough up overs for Ladhams which I think would be too much of a risk when you consider the net reward.

14. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My feeling is that English simply can't be the number 1 ruck which I think has been mirrored at the club through the acquisition of Martin, and probably the feeling out of Lobbe when we had some interest there.

I'm not totally lost on English being our number 1 ruck but you'd think he needs to finish his apprenticeship and this would be the only reason why I'd be getting a Ceglar type.

Totally agree that we'd need to cough up overs for Ladhams which I think would be too much of a risk when you consider the net reward.
    The Lobbe almost debacle was a full 12 months before we even drafted English so that would have been some next level planning.

16. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The Lobbe almost debacle was a full 12 months before we even drafted English so that would have been some next level planning.
    Really? Goodness time flies.

Post Thanks / Like

Really? Goodness time flies.
    Yup, tried to hand over pick 11 for Lobbe in 2015 which we ended up trading to Carlton for the Dunkley/Collins picks.

And people say Bevo doesn't rate rucks.

19. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding pick 11 was what Port Adelaide demanded rather than what we were offering hence the trade was not completed. This keeps getting perpetuated incorrectly.

21. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post