Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  145
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets make the hard calls

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    At 193cm Bont is simply a Cordy clone too right? Perhaps there is a Cordy clone factory on Kamino that we don't know about?

2. Likes Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    At 193cm Bont is simply a Cordy clone too right? Perhaps there is a Cordy clone factory on Kamino that we don't know about?
    Now if he was a clone of Bont I would certainly be interested, but as you should know there is more to a clone than 1 shared characteristic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    But now he's only done it once in the last 2 years!

Obviously he's performing terribly with us these last 2 years with such a low possession count. Right?
    Wrong, with us he plays as a lock down defender. Previously he was an intercept defender. Prior to his injury against Melbourne his figures were pretty good.

I assume you knew all that so the tone of your comment is coming from a desire to ridicule and not simply pure ignorance.

Others here managed to explain the reason for getting O’Brien. I was in error thinking we wanted a key defender and had not realised we were after a Wood replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Wrong, with us he plays as a lock down defender. Previously he was an intercept defender. Prior to his injury against Melbourne his figures were pretty good.

I assume you knew all that so the tone of your comment is coming from a desire to ridicule and not simply pure ignorance.

Others here managed to explain the reason for getting O’Brien. I was in error thinking we wanted a key defender and had not realised we were after a Wood replacement.
    Ah so role and position in the team can be a consideration? Yet you when you thought he was a key back recruit (a lockdown defender like Keath is now) possessions mattered and now that people are saying he's a Wood replacement (an intercept defender historically though not great at it recently) it doesn't?

Isn't that the wrong way around?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    O’Brien isn’t a Cordy replacement. He’s a Wood replacement.

Gardner is the Cordy replacement and should have played ahead of him in the GF.
    Yep Cordy should actually be playing Wood's role as the third tall (even though Wood has played multiple roles this year). Keath, Gards, Cordy (O'Brien) is the way I see it with Wood a break glass in case of emergency depth player. As a third tall O'Brien is an upgrade on Cordy due to his athleticism and superior ability under a high ball.

I do feel sorry for Cordy because he's had to do a lot of heavy lifting over the past few years through no fault of his own but in this time we've had a good look at him and he is deficient in too many areas to continue to be played. He's competitive but slow and has little to no confidence under a high ball. He tries hard to maintain shape but is too prone to brain farts and he provides no benefit with his disposal. Hopefully O'Brien can bring some surety in this role and can mirror Cordy's desperation. Would be a win for us.

O'Brien has some key physical attributes that I like and I hope a change of clubs and Bevo's guidance can turn him into an effective player for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    O’Brien isn’t a Cordy replacement. He’s a Wood replacement.

Gardner is the Cordy replacement and should have played ahead of him in the GF.
    I think this is the most likely to be how we are planning this.

I'm OK about adding O'Brien but I thought we could do a bit better.
    At 192/193cm tall he will be able to play on a variety of opponents.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yep Cordy should actually be playing Wood's role as the third tall (even though Wood has played multiple roles this year). Keath, Gards, Cordy (O'Brien) is the way I see it with Wood a break glass in case of emergency depth player. As a third tall O'Brien is an upgrade on Cordy due to his athleticism and superior ability under a high ball.

I do feel sorry for Cordy because he's had to do a lot of heavy lifting over the past few years through no fault of his own but in this time we've had a good look at him and he is deficient in too many areas to continue to be played. He's competitive but slow and has little to no confidence under a high ball. He tries hard to maintain shape but is too prone to brain farts and he provides no benefit with his disposal. Hopefully O'Brien can bring some surety in this role and can mirror Cordy's desperation. Would be a win for us.

O'Brien has some key physical attributes that I like and I hope a change of clubs and Bevo's guidance can turn him into an effective player for us.
    Agree with all that. We lack any intercepting ability in our D50 and it’s a critical component of modern footy. O’Brien is more than handy in the air.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I think O'Brien more addresses our inability to find good young key defenders (or really even try that hard).

The key defenders we have drafted of late have been:
    2020-Nil
    2019-Keath (trade)
    2018-Gardner (MSD)
    2017-Trengove (Trade), Naughton (Draft)
    2016-Young (Draft), NMM? (Draft)
    2015-Collins (Draft), Adams (Draft)

Ideally we would be able to turn to our list and have one waiting for more opportunity. We don't, and if we draft one it is unlikely they will be good to go in their first year (plus we don't know if they will even be available to draft). I prefer the idea of having a young tall we can give the opportunity to but O'Brien is a much more practical selection.

I mean really O'Brien is replacing Youngs spot in the squad, and since we were reluctant to play Young anyway it seems he doesn't need to do much to be an upgrade.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Likes Mofra, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So, our key defensive stocks are now:

Keath
    Gardner
    Schache (swing man)
    Cordy
    O’Brien
    Darcy (who knows, maybe he goes back? Like Naughty went forward)

It seems a reasonable mix of types and sizes to get the job done. Not elite, but I’m really keen to see how Schache can go (if we do that) as we suddenly have quite a bit of flex and a better user down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Does O’Brien play a similar role to Lever? Roughly same height and O’Brien is a decent mark who can read the play well and intercept. Obviously not in the same class as Lever but can see similarities. Continue to work on Gardner and Schache in the off season and we have a decent defensive unit with a number of options.

We will probably need Schache up forward but at least this gives us options prior to, and when, Bruce returns.

13. Likes josie, 1eyedog liked this post