Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  145
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets make the hard calls

I floated trading English pre finals and it received a very luke warm response.

I’d still consider it. Surely we can convince Sean Darcy to come back home?

I’d also consider trading Bailey Dale if we could identify genuine player in a position of need such as #1 ruck, key defender or burst midfielder.
    Last edited by azabob; 26-09-2021 at 10:41 AM.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Luke Jackson last night showed the importance of being able to actually compete at stoppages for the nominal 2nd ruck. It was frightening (and very deflating) how easily he destroyed English at the centre bounces in that critical 10 mins before 3/4 time.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why our mids don’t set up defensively when English is rucking I’ll never know.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes Testekill, Bumper Bulldogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

- Would love some external experience come into the club on the coaching panel
    - Definitely need a mobile KPD defender - let Keath play the role of a Lever - he is mobile, reads teh play welll, is cool enough under pressure and has good hands
    - spend the entire off season working on defensive midfield setup and execution
    - agree w the comments on sports psych - learn how to absorb bad weather in sharp bursts and regain momentum
    - Lippa, Wally, Young - happy for them to all go elsewhere for better opportunity

As for big names on the block - English the only player i can think of who doesnt have a clear role they are executing well
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Why our mids don’t set up defensively when English is rucking I’ll never know.
    Not that I'll ever watch the replay, but any one of our starting mids should have decided to take the responsibility and go hard one-on-one to stop Petracca's influence out of the middle late in the 3rd. Are modern day mids not capable of switching automatically to a defensive mindset when the situation demands?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes 1eyedog, Mutz, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Not that I'll ever watch the replay, but any one of our starting mids should have decided to take the responsibility and go hard one-on-one to stop Petracca's influence out of the middle late in the 3rd. Are modern day mids not capable of switching automatically to a defensive mindset when the situation demands?
    Even just hold on and give away a free, that’s better than letting it breeze by you unopposed.

Post Thanks / Like

We have to do everything we can to get Nankervis and Darcy Moore.
    I don’t care what. Just need to get it done.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    It is very noticeable that this is our Achilles Heel in the middle. We don’t adjust, or don’t adjust fast enough or more than likely can’t adjust. They were able to clear the ruck area and their mids would just stream through. All too easy. We rely on Libba as our clearance king. This works when the ruck contest drops at the feet but when it doesn’t it just gets cleared way too easily. Libba and Macrae are too slow and can’t backtrack fast enough. Not sure why we don’t set up a mid between halfback and the centre circle ie. not a one on one contest. Maybe this doesn’t work as it means we aren’t one on one in the contest. What we really need is a ruck that negates their ruck thus minimising the advantage in centre clearances. We are good at stoppages. Apart from NicNat is there any ruck in the league that could have stopped Gawn/ Jackson last night? As much as Gawn is great he has taken years to adjust whereas Jackson is one of those players whom is a freak from the get go. Unfortunately for us English has taken awhile to develop and while he still may turn into a very good ruck we clearly need help in this area. Martin was ok for awhile this year but age and injury caught up. This is our no. 1 priority. We need the game played on our terms.

12. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    It is very noticeable that this is our Achilles Heel in the middle. We don’t adjust, or don’t adjust fast enough or more than likely can’t adjust. They were able to clear the ruck area and their mids would just stream through. All too easy. We rely on Libba as our clearance king. This works when the ruck contest drops at the feet but when it doesn’t it just gets cleared way too easily. Libba and Macrae are too slow and can’t backtrack fast enough. Not sure why we don’t set up a mid between halfback and the centre circle ie. not a one on one contest. Maybe this doesn’t work as it means we aren’t one on one in the contest. What we really need is a ruck that negates their ruck thus minimising the advantage in centre clearances. We are good at stoppages. Apart from NicNat is there any ruck in the league that could have stopped Gawn/ Jackson last night? As much as Gawn is great he has taken years to adjust whereas Jackson is one of those players whom is a freak from the get go. Unfortunately for us English has taken awhile to develop and while he still may turn into a very good ruck we clearly need help in this area. Martin was ok for awhile this year but age and injury caught up. This is our no. 1 priority. We need the game played on our terms.
    Agree. It happened against the Bombers. The Lions also had a purple patch in the final when they did the same to us. I do think that we have a weakness in the ruck, but that is not the only problem. Our key mids outside of Baz (and I think he can get better, just look at Petracca's development) are too one paced. Macrae, Libba, Bont, Dunks - none of them are explosive runners. The teams that torch us out of the middle had players with genuine speed and acceleration. Stringer, Zorko, Petracca. We don't appear to be able to negate this type of player when they get a run on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I’d still consider it. Surely we can convince Sam Darcy to come back home?
    Do you mean Sean Darcy?
    He signed a contract extension in June and would just about be their most untouchable player.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

We need an intercepting defender or a FB to relase Keath to play the role.
    We were forced to change our entire F50 set up because of May and Lever, they're too good at intercepting. Melbourne didn;t have to change a thing.

We really need the intercepting type to change the opposition gameplan.

Ruck is obvious.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Our number one issue is the first ruck role. Steph is ok, but he is cooked as far as I am concerned. Don't give me a 30 plus hasbeen ruck, we need to find someone and find them quick.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes DOG GOD, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Do you mean Sean Darcy?
    He signed a contract extension in June and would just about be their most untouchable player.
    Yeah, that’s who I meant. And yeah, I know he is untouchable.

Clutching at straws here.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Yeah, that’s who I meant. And yeah, I know he is untouchable.

Clutching at straws here.
    No not clutching at straws at all. WE need to make a big offer to a very good ruckman and prise them out of another clubs hands.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We need to get serious with the ruck and KPD posts.
    English will NEVER be the #1 so we need to find the best we can, who can.

An A-Grade defender is required.

I want a ruckman and FB who will play 22 games next year.

No bits players.
    I will never see #16 the same!!