Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  145
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets make the hard calls

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We need an intercepting defender or a FB to relase Keath to play the role.
    We were forced to change our entire F50 set up because of May and Lever, they're too good at intercepting. Melbourne didn;t have to change a thing.

We really need the intercepting type to change the opposition gameplan.

Ruck is obvious.
    Other than Clurey who is contracted and too expensive anyone else out there?

I’m actually concerned with Keath age and his hamstring issues.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Other than Clurey who is contracted and too expensive anyone else out there?
    I like Clurey but is he a bit of a Cordy? Slightly undersized defender who relies on his competitiveness over having an elite trait? He isn't quite big enough, is a pretty mediocre ball user, is decent in the air but not intercept mark decent, and doesn't really have an ability to play anywhere else.

I think he might be a marginal upgrade but don't think he really fixes the problem, just adds another name to the Cordy/Gardner mix.

If we were going to look at fringe Port defenders i think Lienert is a similarly ranked alternative. Slightly taller than Clurey (but probably more of a flanker type), has a little more pace though and is a tidy user. Again I think he ends up being a bit similiar to another defensive option we have in Schache, but could b someone we look to put into the Wood role.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    We have to do everything we can to get Nankervis and Darcy Moore.
    I don’t care what. Just need to get it done.
    Yeah, we’re a good ruckman away from being in the top 4 for the next 5 years. It’s now at the point of needing to make a ballsy play for one. Imagine we had Grundy?

4. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Yeah, we’re a good ruckman away from being in the top 4 for the next 5 years. It’s now at the point of needing to make a ballsy play for one. Imagine we had Grundy?
    And that is exactly the type of commitment to this I’m hoping for. I don’t want ceglar, Lynch, or whoever else isn’t going to take us to the next level.

If we are serious about this, and I hope to god we are, we need to make a play and FAST.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like a heavily defensive minded midfield coach to replace King please. I'd even go Rossy Lyon. Who cares if he's a knob he's got the runs on the board when it comes to trying to kick goals against the teams he's coached.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to think we cannot play Dunkley, Libba, Macrae and Bont all in the midfield. Too slow and when the opposition get momentum out of the middle, these guys just can't stop it because they're one paced.

For mine, starting mid next year should feature a lot more of Treloar AND Smith than it did this year.

Can Macrae transition to a wing?

Ironically trading Dunkley for a quicker mid would be preferable.
    W00F!

8. Likes josie, Ghost Dog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'm starting to think we cannot play Dunkley, Libba, Macrae and Bont all in the midfield. Too slow and when the opposition get momentum out of the middle, these guys just can't stop it because they're one paced.

For mine, starting mid next year should feature a lot more of Treloar AND Smith than it did this year.

I’d seriously consider macrae on a wing and Bont half fwd to allow more mid time for Treloar/smith.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

10. Likes josie, Testekill, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree, but I think it is only an issue with teams with explosive athletic midfielders. There are not too many of those around. That is why for the majority of the season we get away with it. We struggle to contain those explosive players when they are on like Stringer, Petracca, Zorko, Dusty - but so do most teams.

It ain't an easy problem to fix as you need rare athletic specimens who have both footy smarts and desire to hunt the ball. How many of those players are there in the league? Or even in history?

Those players are truly special. Think Kouta, Cooney, Danger, Voss at their absolute peak of their powers. Their absolute best was almost unstoppable. Who is in that category now?

12. Likes josie, Mutz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s more power to keep willing the ball forward and getting it out while under pressure. Pace sure - but we got our bodies / contested by the Melbourne midfielders which allowed their downhill game to work. Hack kicks, fumbled out (throws) that get the ball moving their way.

We just need to get better at showing different looks in the midfield again - more rotations and leveraging how deep we bat. Along with being stronger in the contest - both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

It all sounds good & well, but both Treloar & Smith aren't exactly known for their ability to defend. They run well with the ball in hand, but get lost when defending.

Agree with the call on Macrae... much like Brayshaw's move to the wing we need to get Jacko outside the contest more to give us outside support & structure.

15. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I like Clurey but is he a bit of a Cordy? Slightly undersized defender who relies on his competitiveness over having an elite trait? He isn't quite big enough, is a pretty mediocre ball user, is decent in the air but not intercept mark decent, and doesn't really have an ability to play anywhere else.

I think he might be a marginal upgrade but don't think he really fixes the problem, just adds another name to the Cordy/Gardner mix.

If we were going to look at fringe Port defenders i think Lienert is a similarly ranked alternative. Slightly taller than Clurey (but probably more of a flanker type), has a little more pace though and is a tidy user. Again I think he ends up being a bit similiar to another defensive option we have in Schache, but could b someone we look to put into the Wood role.
    Lienert can play more of the 'third' role than Cordy or Clurey. If Gardner plays more of a stopper role we can play Lienert too. He's probably more suited to us than Clurey
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Lienert can play more of the 'third' role than Cordy or Clurey. If Gardner plays more of a stopper role we can play Lienert too. He's probably more suited to us than Clurey
    Lienert would also be a lot cheaper, but isn’t he 27-28?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Someone should start a thread about that.........add someone who can kick properly to the list as well.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

What would we have to give up for Naitanui and is it even possible?

I ask because, I feel that if we had NN in our side, we’d have been a chance last night. Being dominated in the ruck is too big of a Achilles heel with the 6, 6, 6 rule in place. Because that’s where they got hold of us and swung the game. We fought hard for the secondary stoppage, but the dam wall eventually burst.

I can’t help thinking that big Nick would potentially turn us into the yardstick of the competition.

Would an English trade and a pick get him? JU-H?
    Would we be prepared to do it?

20. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    What would we have to give up for Naitanui and is it even possible?

I ask because, I feel that if we had NN in our side, we’d have been a chance last night. Being dominated in the ruck is too big of a Achilles heel with the 6, 6, 6 rule in place. Because that’s where they got hold of us and swung the game. We fought hard for the secondary stoppage, but the dam wall eventually burst.

I can’t help thinking that big Nick would potentially turn us into the yardstick of the competition.

Would an English trade and a pick get him? JU-H?
    Would we be prepared to do it?
    We aren't trading JUH for anything. I don't mean that literally but it's pretty close, and a 31 year old ruckman with a suspect body and who can manage less gametime than Stefan Martin is not it.

I like the thinking but.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

22. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post