Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seagulls vs Scorpions @ Casey Fields

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    By the way, for what it's worth I didn't rate Atkins reports that highly last year. Good to read if you didn't get to the game but average when you did go.
    I found them similar for rating each and every player and i was one who didn't see the games.

Post Thanks / Like

Lockwood showed today that he was a class above and even when pitted against McQualter he was clearly the better player.
    The recruiters sure do make it difficult for the shorter guys.
    This is what I can't understand. What's the fixation upon height? Sure, a 190cm athletic midfielder is handy but there are a number of smaller players in years gone by that could have/should have played AFL Football. It's frustrating; too much emphasis is put on how fast a player runs, how high he jumps, what he stands etc.

If a player can cut it in VFL level amongst bigger players, why shouldn't he be given a shot? Pure footballers who can find the ball, dispose of the ball & read the play are just as valuable as 190cm running midfielders.

TAC Cup/VFL are the same, plenty of young guns that have missed out on playing at a higher level because they're "too short". Absolute rubbish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Found this...
    Cheers TCD.

Post Thanks / Like

Lockwood showed today that he was a class above and even when pitted against McQualter he was clearly the better player.
    The recruiters sure do make it difficult for the shorter guys.
    Yep they do make it hard: I know these are guys that made it onto AFL lists but Harbrow, Foley and Jake King are all interesting examples with their own unique path

Post Thanks / Like

Dal Santo is an interesting comparison but Cal might end up a bit more versatile than him. There might not be a direct AFL comparison for Ward and I am loathe to say the one or two players that he does remind me of at this early stage because it can be a burden for anyone so young.. mjp might be in the best position to answer this anyway.
    I have tried to do this in the past - I still say he is more James Hird than Nick Dal Santo, though I have heard a few people use the Dal Santo one in the past. Just in his ability to read the ball, and win a contested possession (similar to the way described by GVGjr in todays game) when outnumbered and seemingly through finesse or 'magic' rather than via pure brute force. He does things on a footy field that simply cannot be coached. And he can play forward (small or marking), mid, or back as required. As a defender though he tends to play more as an 'angle cutting' Guy McKenna type than as a true one-on-one player.

He is still just a kid though, and a season at Williamstown is not going to hurt him. In fact, I think it will do him the world of good...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

He is still just a kid though, and a season at Williamstown is not going to hurt him. In fact, I think it will do him the world of good...
    I was discussing this very point with Bulldog Revolution the other week. Long term there is no harm in a junior player (particularly someone as young as Ward) being nursed through their first season. Typically the guys who sustain injuries early in their career have a hell of a time getting over them.

Josh Fraser was one of the best junior footballers I have ever seen and really the Pies wrecked him for the longer term by rucking him throughout his first season. He did as good as job as anyone would have hoped for but it took a huge toll on him and he is not the footballer now that he should have been.

By the way Everitt was there today with the brace on his leg. It will be a while before he gets that off.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Reading about the reserves is sometimes the most enjoyable part of a footy week.

Nothing like reading about how good your 19 year olds are.

Post Thanks / Like

I was discussing this very point with Bulldog Revolution the other week. Long term there is no harm in a junior player (particularly someone as young as Ward) being nursed through their first season.
    I was discussing a similar thing with Sockeye. But more along the lines of 'most of the players who have come in and done well, actually played and dominated at VFL level first'.

Case study#1: Daniel Cross (Dominated at VFL level).
    Case study#2: Daniel Giansiracusa (Very good VFL player).
    Case study#3: Dylan Addison (just a good average VFL player when promoted).
    Case study#4: Sam Power (just a good average VFL player).

The first round picks (Cooney, Griffen etc) are obvious exceptions - and whilst I think Ward has the same level of talent that they posses, everyone needs to remember how far back in the field he was 12-18months ago. When Cooney and Griff (and Everitt, and Higgins etc) played state footy at u15 and u16 level, and were part of development squads for 5 or 6 years, Ward was not even in the '1st team' at Jets u16 level.

Post Thanks / Like

I was discussing a similar thing with Sockeye. But more along the lines of 'most of the players who have come in and done well, actually played and dominated at VFL level first'.

Case study#1: Daniel Cross (Dominated at VFL level).
    Case study#2: Daniel Giansiracusa (Very good VFL player).
    Case study#3: Dylan Addison (just a good average VFL player when promoted).
    Case study#4: Sam Power (just a good average VFL player).

The first round picks (Cooney, Griffen etc) are obvious exceptions - and whilst I think Ward has the same level of talent that they posses, everyone needs to remember how far back in the field he was 12-18months ago. When Cooney and Griff (and Everitt, and Higgins etc) played state footy at u15 and u16 level, and were part of development squads for 5 or 6 years, Ward was not even in the '1st team' at Jets u16 level.
    Not only that, but lets not forget he's still completing his VCE.

As far as I'm concerned that should be more important to him than trying to push for senior selection.

As GVG said, absolutely no harm in nursing him through this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Not only that, but lets not forget he's still completing his VCE.

As far as I'm concerned that should be more important to him than trying to push for senior selection.

As GVG said, absolutely no harm in nursing him through this year.
    I think he has split his final year as well - and will also be completing his VCE next year!

Post Thanks / Like

I think he has split his final year as well - and will also be completing his VCE next year!
    That sounds like a sensible plan and I hope he sticks with it.

Regarding Cameron Lockwood, is there a comparable AFL player to him ?
    He sounds like a player that the Swans could have been interested in because they do seem to pick players based on their ability to do a certain job or to fulfil a need rather than the prototype AFL player that a lot of teams do.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that, great stuff about guy, im a real fan of him now, and cant wait to see more of him, especially in the doggies colours.

Post Thanks / Like

All this talk about Cal is got me excited.

GVJr-the report in BF mentions Grants taking some pack marks. Anything to add there?

Post Thanks / Like

Great report GVGjr, very pleased to read that the guys not in the senior side all seem to be coming along nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    All this talk about Cal is got me excited.

GVJr-the report in BF mentions Grants taking some pack marks. Anything to add there?
    I saw one good effort and a couple of missed ones. If 'some' = 3 or more pack marks I'm not sure if that is correct but I might have missed it. He did also out mark his opponent in a one-on-one contest.

He has got some spring no doubt though.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"