Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Every Dog has its dose: Full squad rolls up sleeves for first jab

Every Dog has its dose: Full squad rolls up sleeves for first jab

EVERY Western Bulldogs AFL player has had their first dose of a coronavirus vaccine with the Grand Finalists determined to have their squad fully vaccinated before their return for pre-season.

The AFL is yet to officially release its policy on vaccination, and whether it will be mandatory, but two days after losing Saturday's Grand Final the entire Bulldogs AFL squad in Perth rolled up their sleeves.

"We did it on Monday in Perth - it was just an easy way to do it," Bulldogs chief executive Ameet Bains told SEN radio on Thursday.

"We didn't necessarily mandate it but at the same time didn't have any players who had an issue with it.

"Depending on where they'll be in a number of weeks' time, we'll organise for them to be able to get their second dose so all of our men's playing group will be fully vaccinated prior to the start of pre-season."

The majority of Bulldogs staff and AFLW players are also "either first dose or fully vaccinated", while Whitten Oval hosted a pop-up vaccination hub last weekend.

"It's clearly the biggest issue we all need to confront," Bains said.

"It was startling to see the case numbers in Victoria today, so clearly the route forward is going to have to be getting vaccinations up to a decent level

"From our point of view, the club's stance is to encourage vaccinations."

Bains anticipated vaccination would be the only way for the AFL to regain a sense of normality next season.

"Clearly there'll be state government policies and requirements as well as other corporate requirements as well," he said.

"From our industry point of view, if airlines make it mandatory, say going into 2022, that obviously puts an interesting spin on it for us, regardless of what policy we may have.

"The AFL itself is working through what that policy might be - they spoke to CEOs and presidents about that in Grand Final week, without there being too much detail as to what that might look like.

"Then it does fall to us in the context of looking at what both the state government and AFL do to make a decision on what we might put in place. But our strong position is to encourage it and we feel that it's the only way out.

"Looking at the examples of sport overseas ... you look at those full houses in North America and Europe for soccer and other professional sports and we're really hopeful that's what it'll look like here with an appropriate level of vaccination."

2. Thanks bornadog, SquirrelGrip, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Every Dog has its dose: Full squad rolls up sleeves for first jab

Great News
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome…well done to the club.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

What a good response to not the result any of us wanted

Post Thanks / Like

Surprisingly late given the AFL have been campaigning for relaxed quarantine requirements all year to allow teams to fly interstate and back each week for games
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Surprisingly late given the AFL have been campaigning for relaxed quarantine requirements all year to allow teams to fly interstate and back each week for games
    Maybe they were concerned it might knock players around and affect their ability to train and play (particularly if they're all doing it at once)? Everyone's reaction is so different.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

8. Likes azabob, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    Maybe they were concerned it might knock players around and affect their ability to train and play (particularly if they're all doing it at once)? Everyone's reaction is so different.
    You might be right there
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    With one thousand cases of heart inflammation from Pfizer in Australia, I hope none of our players join these numbers.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    With one thousand cases of heart inflammation from Pfizer in Australia, I hope none of our players join these numbers.
    Do you have a reliable source you can quote for those numbers?

13. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoseBleed View Post
    Do you have a reliable source you can quote for those numbers?
    Only a very dodgy source who I do not trust and neither should you. They lied about the Covid vaccines being approved.

Therapeutic Goods Administration of Australia.

https://www.tga.gov.au/periodic/covi...ort-07-10-2021

To 3 October 2021, we have received 218 reports of suspected myocarditis alone or in combination with pericarditis. In addition, we have received 629 reports of suspected pericarditis alone with Comirnaty (Pfizer). In the same period we have received 3 reports of suspected pericarditis alone with Spikevax (Moderna).

Probably seriously under reported.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

You "forgot" the very next line from your quote.

"These events can occur due to other causes, including common viral infections, so it is expected that not all cases are related to vaccination."

You've chosen to take precautionary reports as definite cases, 'cos it suits the narrative. . You've chose to inflate the numbers to suit the narrative, You've choses go with the inflammatory but unsubstantiated suggestion that under reporting is occurring, 'cos it suits the narrative.

Over 1000? Even the numbers don't add up. 847 is way less than "Over 1000"

Lies, damn lies and statistics, and you can't even get your statistics close.

You're a liar Champ. Tell your story walking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoseBleed View Post
    You're a liar Champ. Tell your story walking.

Don't say that. They're much easier to spot when they stick their heads up.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Let's say the number's true, at 16.6m doses of Pfizer 1000 instances of inflammation would mean it happens in 0.006% of cases.

You'd have to be REALLY unlucky to have 100pts to 7pts scored against you in forty minutes worth of second half grand final time AND be one of 0.006% to experience this particular adverse affect from the Pfizer vaccine.

I don't think people are really ready for what's coming with the opening up of society once we hit the nominal 80% vaccination rate, and probably a bit before that as we gradually open up. People in Victoria are already dying in their homes, rocking up to stressed hospitals extremely ill. The delta variant is going to rip through the unvaccinated sections of society and it isn't going to be pretty.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

The UK daily case summary vs. our vaccination summary is interesting:

UK summary - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Aust summary - https://www.tga.gov.au/periodic/covi...ort-07-10-2021

Basically their death rate from COVID over the last seven days (755 deaths out of 245,815 reported cases - 0.29%) is roughly the same as our adverse affects rate to vaccines (66,829 adverse affects of 28,769,273 doses administered - 0.25%).

Most of the adverse affects reported in Australia relate to soreness/ inflammation around the injection site, chills, mild fever etc. All of the deaths reported in the UK are deaths.

I don't mean to over-simplify the argument because the statistics around who dies and who doesn't are more nuanced than I've presented, but so are the statistics surrounding adverse affects from getting the jab. However on face value, I know which of the two chances I'd be taking, and as a result I've gotten myself double jabbed and I applaud the club in being a leader in this area.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.