Thanks Thanks:  107
Likes Likes:  266
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2022 Western Bulldogs Membership Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Saints have really gapped us haven’t they, used to be similar.
    So of the 4 clubs below us on the membership ladder, 3 are located in still emerging AFL markets and the 4th is a basketcase on field and not so great off it either...

I really hope our club is investigating why we are still lagging behind. If the Bulldog's membership client experiences of some WOOF members is representative of the broader membership population, then that's got to be a factor.

Given our list, high profile players, recent on field success, you'd like to think we'd have shifted the dial a bit membership wise..

Post Thanks / Like

E09E56DB-9BBC-411D-BA90-3E54B6440B13.jpg

Not all memberships are equal it seems
    WOOF Member 422

3. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    E09E56DB-9BBC-411D-BA90-3E54B6440B13.jpg

Not all memberships are equal it seems
    Freo impressive
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So we're in the historically identical position that we've always been if you believe the numbers - which show we've recorded our highest season total.

That's something to fret over?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get the angst either, the membership numbers are so rubbery.

All I care about is that the club generates sufficient revenue from membership (and other means) to adequately fund our football program.

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So we're in the historically identical position that we've always been if you believe the numbers - which show we've recorded our highest season total.

That's something to fret over?
    I still live in the west, it's crazy the growth out here especially around Werribee.

Left field suggestion, we enter a team in the BBL.

Capture the huge sub continental community out here and maybe translate some of that into AFL members.

Crazy right, but it may just be crazy enough to work.

My point is we haven't captured the emerging market here at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I still live in the west, it's crazy the growth out here especially around Werribee.

Left field suggestion, we enter a team in the BBL.

Capture the huge sub continental community out here and maybe translate some of that into AFL members.

Crazy right, but it may just be crazy enough to work.

My point is we haven't captured the emerging market here at all.
    That is not a bad idea - it is crazy the number of new cricket teams that have formed in the West in the last decade or so, and almost all of them are named after cities or regions in India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc.

There is a huge influx of immigrants from the sub-continent and cricket is like a religion to them. We have a couple of other Drs at work start since the pandemic and when it's quiet we just talk cricket all day - it can be a little uncomfortable as they even want to know all about my modest career once they hear I played for about 30 years.
    Footscray member since 1980.

10. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Geez to think a club like NM is right on our heels, and Saints have 10k more.
    The Saints have a bigger supporter base than us so it's not surprising.

It's important to remember that the AFL has counted "no minimum spend" memberships in their official totals for a while now. Clubs do have to provide a membership pack so there is a cost involved in just giving complimentary ones out but all clubs do it to varying degrees. Propaganda is a big motivation.

Some of the 2021 annual reports of clubs do provide revenue figures for memberships:

St Kilda - $8.13m
    WB - $7.65m
    NM - $5.48m
    GWS - $2.15m (but this includes merchandise; separately they have $320k of merchandise expenses)

North are obviously handing out many more free memberships than us and the Giants are doing it to a massive degree.

The latter have free junior memberships readily available online (https://giantsrecruits.com.au/about/) and I bet AFL development officers in NSW hand them out like confetti.

12. Thanks GVGjr, jeemak, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Understandably the social club Christmas party disappeared for a couple of years due to Covid, but where is it now? There are no more government restrictions preventing it, is it just a cost saving measure from the club? Just hoping nobody notices? Very disappointing as I enjoyed attending most years with my old man.

Already the value of the social club has been greatly diminished over the past 3 seasons with either no social club or this years version that had no speakers in attendance on game days. Not to mention a guaranteed grand final ticket to a grand final we weren't allowed to attend. Feels like a bit of a slap in the face for loyal social club members that the club can't even throw us a little function with a mission wrap and an ice cream.

14. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost, Max469, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Understandably the social club Christmas party disappeared for a couple of years due to Covid, but where is it now? There are no more government restrictions preventing it, is it just a cost saving measure from the club? Just hoping nobody notices? Very disappointing as I enjoyed attending most years with my old man.

Already the value of the social club has been greatly diminished over the past 3 seasons with either no social club or this years version that had no speakers in attendance on game days. Not to mention a guaranteed grand final ticket to a grand final we weren't allowed to attend. Feels like a bit of a slap in the face for loyal social club members that the club can't even throw us a little function with a mission wrap and an ice cream.
    I've got another question to ask someone important now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

AFLW similar. I joined as a founding member and pre covid had various small functions with the players etc, but nothing this year

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone get their packs yet? I got mine yesterday which hopefully means those of your that didn't get any last year or got them very late don't go through that again.

Opening it up and remembering that it was going to be a scarf with no other options gave me a second dose of disappointment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Anyone get their packs yet? I got mine yesterday which hopefully means those of your that didn't get any last year or got them very late don't go through that again.

Opening it up and remembering that it was going to be a scarf with no other options gave me a second dose of disappointment.
    There is a 2023 membership thread here