Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our early draft picks

Hopefully this is the right board.
    Ive been impressed with the draft picks we have brought in over the last few years and I wonder if we are strictly sticking to the best available?

2022 - Busslinger (13) Clarke (24) and Gallagher (39)
    1 key position player, 1 small forward and 1 small defender

2021 - Darcy (2) A.Jones (43) and Cleary (61)
    1 key position, 1 small midfielder, 1 mid sized defender

2020 - Ugle-Hagan (1) Bedendo (55)
    1 key position, 1 tall midfielder

2019 - Weightman (15) Butler (53*) Garcia (62) Gardner (6) mid season
    1 key position, 2 small forwards, 1 small defender who has been already been delisted

Three things stand out and they are we have been grabbing key position players but have avoided ruckman, its a lot more balanced in terms of positional coverage and we havent been been churning over the list that much.
    How do you think we have done because it looks impressive to me?

2. Thanks GVGjr, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our early draft picks

We've done well but I suspect we should have been turning the list over a bit more. 4 KPP in the last 4 years isn't bad either. Throw in a decent ruck over the last couple of years and I'd say we had invested wisely.
    A lot will depend on how Garcia, Bedendo, Jones and Cleary develop.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of early picks it's hard to judge because we have Weightman (a success), Jamarra and Darcy (freebies) and Busslinger/Clarke this year (too early to judge) with picks sub 25 is probably the cutoff for 'early'.

After the early picks you'd expect the success rate to fall.

I'd probably categorise them as:

Failures: Butler

Some Doubts: Bedendo, Jones

Promising: Cleary, Garcia

Success: Gardner

Gallagher also obviously needs more time to get a feel of where he's at.

If of those 6 draftees who are mostly after pick 50 we can say that 3 became AFL quality players then it's a pretty good strike rate.

However if only Gardner is on the list in 2025 you'd probably have to wonder if we're identifying or developing these speculative picks well enough.

5. Likes GVGjr, bornadog, Sedat, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We've done well but I suspect we should have been turning the list over a bit more. 4 KPP in the last 4 years isn't bad either. Throw in a decent ruck over the last couple of years and I'd say we had invested wisely.
    A lot will depend on how Garcia, Bedendo, Jones and Cleary develop.
    Normally I'd agree with you... but looking at the above list there are a lot of later picks. With the reduction in the soft cap during Covid would we have had the capacity to give more speculative/later picks the attention and development focus they'd need to have a chance at becoming AFL quality players? Did we even have that capacity for the players we did draft?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post.

We've done well - no doubt helped by the access to Jamarra and Darcy. BUT - I am concerned at the amount of draft capital we have given up to get those two players and think there is a bit of a void in that u21 part of our list...basically we haven't brought in any players in 2020/2021, Butler already delisted from 2019 draft and Gardner a mature recruit in that same year (mid season).

I don't know. I just wish we had 2-3 more young runners on the list. Jones still seems 2 years away (we knew that when we picked him), Bedendo a pick 50 roll of the dice and this year when we had the chance to pick a runner we chose Clarke at 24...I don't mind it I guess but there were mids and running half-backs on the board...who takes Clarke if we didn't??
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes GVGjr, Grantysghost, F'scary, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Normally I'd agree with you... but looking at the above list there are a lot of later picks. With the reduction in the soft cap during Covid would we have had the capacity to give more speculative/later picks the attention and development focus they'd need to have a chance at becoming AFL quality players? Did we even have that capacity for the players we did draft?
    This was the year we could have corrected that though and there were some good players taken after Gallagher and there is some good players that were overlooked. If we end up a top 5 side it becomes harder to say we haven't gotten it right but if we are just competitive we could have some pain in front of us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This was the year we could have corrected that though and there were some good players taken after Gallagher and there is some good players that were overlooked. If we end up a top 5 side it becomes harder to say we haven't gotten it right but if we are just competitive we could have some pain in front of us.
    100% agree with that. At least the players we did pick were all before pick 40 though

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that we’ve drafted well in the first and second rounds, really over a number of years.

On the comment re more runners / early picks - well, I’m sure that’s what most clubs would say they wanted more of. It’s interesting in that our strength / area of most depth (midfield) is now perhaps the area we need to heavily invest in next draft. We’ve got some stars there, however we haven’t got any <20 game player who you just know is going to be a star. We also don’t have a huge amount of pace. Hopefully 2023 is the year we address this with a couple of first round selections giving us options.

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Darcy is really a ruck recruit. Once he puts on a bit of weight, he's too tall to play any other position.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I think Darcy is really a ruck recruit. Once he puts on a bit of weight, he's too tall to play any other position.
    He is about the same size as Lobb so if Rory can play more as a forward, Darcy should be able to do something similar.

I'd hope we haven't used an early pick on a player that has never been a ruckman to play him as a ruckman. If he gets there then fine but lets not rush him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Forward/Ruck definitely.

His nous around goal is pretty amazing for a guy his size. He could certainly play as the #1 ruck in time.

16. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Nice post.

We've done well - no doubt helped by the access to Jamarra and Darcy. BUT - I am concerned at the amount of draft capital we have given up to get those two players and think there is a bit of a void in that u21 part of our list...basically we haven't brought in any players in 2020/2021, Butler already delisted from 2019 draft and Gardner a mature recruit in that same year (mid season).

I don't know. I just wish we had 2-3 more young runners on the list. Jones still seems 2 years away (we knew that when we picked him), Bedendo a pick 50 roll of the dice and this year when we had the chance to pick a runner we chose Clarke at 24...I don't mind it I guess but there were mids and running half-backs on the board...who takes Clarke if we didn't??
    I think we're going about it the right way. Whilst I agree with the above, mids can impact games from 18-22 so if we draft x2 next year then I think that balances the list almost perfectly.

I would be more concerned if our 'gap' was KPPs, because they take much longer to develop, and are largely ineffective from 18-22.

Feels like we say it every year but next year's draft is important. The two first round picks need to be two good mids. I know some will throw up trade targets, but I think we badly need to hit the draft.

2023 should be 'fun' - if we suck, we get access to two early picks and should get two good players. If we contend, excellent. Perhaps we then package the two first rounders to move into the top 10.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I think we're going about it the right way. Whilst I agree with the above, mids can impact games from 18-22 so if we draft x2 next year then I think that balances the list almost perfectly.

I would be more concerned if our 'gap' was KPPs, because they take much longer to develop, and are largely ineffective from 18-22.

Feels like we say it every year but next year's draft is important. The two first round picks need to be two good mids. I know some will throw up trade targets, but I think we badly need to hit the draft.

2023 should be 'fun' - if we suck, we get access to two early picks and should get two good players. If we contend, excellent. Perhaps we then package the two first rounders to move into the top 10.
    If we suck I will not be a pleasant chap and it definitely will not be fun.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

19. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    If we suck I will not be a pleasant chap.
    So no difference.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Next year with two first rounders we can achieve this.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.