Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  84
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs, Tim O'Brien

Welcome to the Dogs Tim. Could be a nice pick up and bolster us down back. We need a good interceptor.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Welcome to the Dogs Tim. Could be a nice pick up and bolster us down back. We need a good interceptor.
    The last of the v8 interceptors.

Post Thanks / Like

He's been targeted and brought in meaning he'll likely be played.

Can see him taking Wood and/ or Cordy's spots. Between arriving at Hawthorn's peak and their residual period of competitiveness up to 2018 where they made top four he's managed to put together 97 senior games and kick 73 goals playing both forward and behind the footy. Clarkson wouldn't have played him that often if he was a slouch during that time.

I get that he frustrates Hawks fans, and doesn't mark enough of the balls he goes for, but they were seriously spoiled for choice during their glory days and I reckon some of the perception about him may be impacted by that. With really good players around him and in a good system he could be a fantastic acquisition. Or he could be ordinary and just a depth player but if this year taught us anything we need depth in talls and mid sized defenders.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He's been targeted and brought in meaning he'll likely be played.

Can see him taking Wood and/ or Cordy's spots. Between arriving at Hawthorn's peak and their residual period of competitiveness up to 2018 where they made top four he's managed to put together 97 senior games and kick 73 goals playing both forward and behind the footy. Clarkson wouldn't have played him that often if he was a slouch during that time.

I get that he frustrates Hawks fans, and doesn't mark enough of the balls he goes for, but they were seriously spoiled for choice during their glory days and I reckon some of the perception about him may be impacted by that. With really good players around him and in a good system he could be a fantastic acquisition. Or he could be ordinary and just a depth player but if this year taught us anything we need depth in talls and mid sized defenders.
    I think he is there to add depth to the back line after knowing we were losing Young. I'd be surprised if he replaces Wood in the senior line-up but he should and more than likely he is there to replace Cordy.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think he is there to add depth to the back line after knowing we were losing Young. I'd be surprised if he replaces Wood in the senior line-up but he should and more than likely he is there to replace Cordy.
    Not sure he plays the second key defender role for mine, think its Woods role he will be replacing with the added ability to mark the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Not sure he plays the second key defender role for mine, think its Woods role he will be replacing with the added ability to mark the ball.
    I agree he's not necessarily the number 2 tall defender and I'd had Gardner ahead of Cordy so hopefully O'Brien is more of a 3rd tall option for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree he's not necessarily the number 2 tall defender and I'd had Gardner ahead of Cordy so hopefully O'Brien is more of a 3rd tall option for us.
    I think that’s almost a guarantee.

Keath, Gardner as two key defenders.

O’Brien the third tall.

Duryea as lock down small.

Williams and Dale half backs
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes josie, 1eyedog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think that’s almost a guarantee.

Keath, Gardner as two key defenders.

O’Brien the third tall.

Duryea as lock down small.

Williams and Dale half backs
    Sounds about right

I can’t help but imagine what difference O’Brien would’ve made on Fritsch…
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

So what of Wood & Crozier? Early retirement and trade?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not sure they have trade value.

I think the MC see Wood as best 22 and Crozier if he is fit and has a ripper pre season I wouldn't mind betting the MC see him as best 22 also.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Not sure they have trade value.

I think the MC see Wood as best 22 and Crozier if he is fit and has a ripper pre season I wouldn't mind betting the MC see him as best 22 also.
    Wood was the early retirement. Shouldn’t have a contract next year. I lost all faith in Crozier. I’d hate happily take a future pick. I just don’t trust him to do the job.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Wood was the early retirement. Shouldn’t have a contract next year. I lost all faith in Crozier. I’d hate happily take a future pick. I just don’t trust him to do the job.
    I don't disagree with your thoughts.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I don't disagree with your thoughts.
    On the flip side, I guess we need to see if TOB (ias Funke) can do the job in our system.

Post Thanks / Like

Both will be depth next year, unless Croz can somehow recapture his best form.

Woody is cooked and should have only been given a 1 year deal but it is what it is. Will provide leadership for our Footscray team.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we should be too pre-occupied about whether O'Brien is best 22 or not. We played 41 players last season. Even if that only got to 35 or 36 next year, chances are he is going to get some senior games - so I think he adds to depth in the 3rd tall type of stocks both for defence or attack. He's obviously coming across on lower end wage in the scheme of things, and if he turns into a regular senior footballer then that is a great result.

One thing about the players we've gotten from Hawthorn, they have been smart footballers who were well drilled in where to be. Suckling could be frustrating and not a gifted one on one player - but his positioning in defence and reading of the play was excellent. Doc is obviously elite at it (positioning, footy IQ). Hopefully as a defender O'Brien brings some of those traits. Certainly looked like he had picked up a thing or two when we kicked the ball to him all day in round 22.

One swallow doesn't make a summer - but 14 intercept possessions against us, 6 of them marks (3 contested)....was a impressive (and frustrating) performance.

20. Likes azabob, Dry Rot liked this post