Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  84
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Western Bulldogs, Tim O'Brien

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs, Tim O'Brien

Fingers crossed we have another Duryea type gem on our hands.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finished the year strongly. Perhaps given every opportunity to fatten him up for trade - but given the Clarkson situation - maybe not. So I'm pretty optimistic.

He's played 97 games, so he's a chance to play his best footy for us.

Finished the year with

14 & 10 marks in a win v the pies
    24 & 10 marks in a win v the dogs
    18 & 7 marks in a draw with the tigers

5. Likes Testekill, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Add some desperately needed intercepting marking capacity in the back half. Indications late in the year we wanted to go with three talls in defence and he's mid-tall enough to play the role.
    For no draft cost it seems a no-brainer
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean either Wallis is staying or that we don't anticipate any potential deal elsewhere would generate any compensation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Does this mean either Wallis is staying or that we don't anticipate any potential deal elsewhere would generate any compensation?
    Good call.

Post Thanks / Like

He’s now one of us, so welcome aboard.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Or it could mean that a “trade” has been organised for Wallis, where we swap Wallis and our pick X for the other teams pick X+1

Edit: Wait, ignore that it makes no sense- it would be the other way around in that we would have needed to do the Wallis trade first.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 07-10-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs land free agent Tim O’Brien

The Western Bulldogs have acquired Hawthorn key position utility Tim O’Brien as a free agent on a two-year deal.

The Dogs completed the transaction on Thursday with the uncontracted 27-year-old, who is an unrestricted free agent.

O’Brien has become a mainstay in the Hawks’ line-up, playing either in defence or attack. He has played 97 games so far over eight seasons at AFL level.

He played 19 games in 2021, averaging five marks per game and kicking 12 goals for the season, including multiple goals on three occasions.

“I’m absolutely rapt to get it done. Now I can just focus on the footy stuff and get going into next year. I can’t wait,” O’Brien said.

“I’m looking forward to meeting everyone. I think the list is in a good spot. There’s a lot of players around my age. It fit well for me and the Club.

“Playing in a Grand Final, they’re right in that window, so that was really appealing.”

O’Brien, who stands at 194cm tall, was recruited to Hawthorn with pick 28 in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft and played in a VFL premiership with Box Hill in his debut year.

He made his AFL debut in Round 1 of the 2014 season and has since proven to be a versatile and dependable player as a key forward or defender.

His best performance of the season came ironically against the Bulldogs in Round 22, where he collected 24 disposals and took 10 marks as an intercept defender.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Tim to the Bulldogs, and we’re looking forward to what he will add to our playing group,” said Bulldogs’ General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power.

“We’ve seen Tim’s strengths at either end of the ground during his time at the Hawks, but we see him adding the most value to our team as a defender.

“We’re excited by his ability to read the play and win back possession through his intercept marking, and he has impressive speed for a tall player.”

Under the rules of Free Agency, a player with at least eight years of experience at an AFL Club who is not contracted for the following season can move freely to another club without the need for an exchange of draft picks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take him as our second KPD, between Keath, O'Brien and Gardner we should have some options down back now.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

13. Likes josie, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    O’Brien, who stands at 194cm tall
    Our amazing ability to get players to grow well into their 20s is already at work - listed as 193cm on the hawks website.

I wonder if Young will lose his extra cms at Carlton?

15. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our amazing ability to get players to grow well into their 20s is already at work - listed as 193cm on the hawks website.

I wonder if Young will lose his extra cms at Carlton?
    I had to look twice as I thought I had made that comment
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Does this complete the Brian Lake trade.

Didn't Hawthorn draft O'Brien with the pick the pick that accompanied Lake to Hawthorn
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Does this complete the Brian Lake trade.

Didn't Hawthorn draft O'Brien with the pick the pick that accompanied Lake to Hawthorn
    Yep. Bang on.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

19. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good a right footer for more variation.

21. Likes Testekill liked this post