Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: 2023, Rnd 6 vs Fremantle

This is the Round 6, 2023 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Fremantle is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: 2023, Rnd 6 vs Fremantle

Bankers

1. The desire to defend and stay alert and involved. It was contagious and all lines had a desperation and a willingness to make effort even when they might not be rewarded.

2. Jamarra's game. He could've had a bigger night on the scoreboard, but I thought that was one of his best and most mature performances of his career. He pushed up the ground, he worked hard he did the team stuff.

3. Bont. Just ridiculous. That was supreme.

Anchors

1. The Goalkicking demon

That's it. Bloke's made mistakes, but away from home, against a team that reignited some bad memories at this venue in a final last year. I'll be happy with the win

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Bontempelli - a Captain's best on ground performance for the ages.
    Williams - excised some of his Optus Oval demons.
    Macrae - just an unassuming 7 tackles and 14 clearances.

Anchors
    Goalkicking - we won by 49 we should have won by 79.
    Me - doubting the outcome
    Keath - not in best form.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Love the work of Liam Jones and his attack on the ball.

2. Macrae's 14 clearances

3. 10 marks from JUH - outstanding work

Anchors

1. Dumb football from freo thinking they could rough us up. They lost focus.

2. Set shots - terrible

3. Me going off at Williams when he held on to the ball too long then shanked the kick and they goaled - I was wanting his blood, but how wrong. He played a great game
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Bailey Williams - is such a talented player, and when he finds enough of the ball like he did tonight, he has the ability to make us a much better side.

Tim English - a banker in the true sense, has been incredibly consistent week to week so far this season. He's played against some good ruckmen as well, the likes of Gawn/Grundy, Marshall, Nankervis and Darcy, but it hasn't shaken him and he's backed himself to add value with his points of difference while bringing a new level of competitiveness at the hitouts.

Caleb - thought he put his head over the ball time after time and had some great moments. By far the most effective game that he's played in the new role.

Anchors

Players not backing off the mark and having their kicks smothered as a result.

Subbing Toby off in his 100th game.

Fremantle's faux tough guy attitude towards Lobb.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

8. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. effort and concentration was there all night. Eventhough we had some clangers : Williams 1st quarter kickout and Keiths handball to himself, we did not drop our bundle. they only got a run of 3 goals once and we came back from there. It was even contribution from the whole team. Scotts tackle in the goal square was very important to get a goal back.
    2. Liam Jones - did Carlton make him that angry ? I guess losing so many games can generate pent up demand. He he has excellent judgement in hit packs and just pushing off players. Has some tricks as a defender. His speed is there and marking ability.

3. Super effort from Bonts, English and Treloar tonight. Lovel goal on the left boot from Daniel ( yes he can kick on the left)

4. Freo shirt front pretend toughness to rough up Lobb. It backfired as they lost concentration on the game.

Bankers
    1. goal kicking. We missed at least 8 goals , Lobb 3 , JUH 3 , Weightman 1 , Naughton 1, We should be burying teams with these opportunities, to become a top 4 side and percentage does count.

2. Umpiring: they forgot to use the whistle in some of the holding the ball tackles against freo. Amos free was just putrid umpiring.

3. The freo crowd. Booing Lobb. You must not be a pleasant bunch of people to play for.
    Last edited by macca; 22-04-2023 at 09:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    Bont
    Jamarra - his lead up and sticky hands were great and used to ball well too. Loved his game.
    Treloar - on the telecast pre game they were going on about how he’s down a bit and not as good a runner anymore. I don’t know if I watch the game differently but been one of our best and last night was vintage. Held his position well and became an option first possession from the clearance / contest really well and kicked goals. Brilliant.

Anchors
    Keath just does some silly things that undermine some of the good he does. That play on brain fade is common. Get back behind the mark a few more steps big fella!
    McLean just can’t get himself into a game at the moment. Must be frustrating as the intent is clearly there, but he’s just not moving freely and he’s not as clean as he used to be. He’s probably one more pre season away from being able to influence the game again at senior level if he can.
    Dockers players / crowd - haha. Played the man a bit and lost.

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

- Tim English is the best ruck in the league. I thought Darcy worked his body hard in around the ground stoppages and his impact was super at tap work. there isn?t a better ruck in the comp around the ground
    - Bont - if he isn?t taking congested marks and kicking goals in the forward line he is a beast in the midfield. We won clearances when he was there and we didn?t when he wasn?t. I?d like a 40m statue of his hands at ground level built overlooking Footscray market
    - solid performances across the ground - Treloar, Caleb, Williams, English, Jones, JJ, Jamarra, Naughton and co
    - using the corridor.
    - jamarras marking
    - sticking it up 40k hostile opposition supporters

Anchors

- jamarras kicking.
    - Team goal kicking in general
    - Freo?s ability to score on a turnover
    - some of the umpiring calls were horrendous. We got very little in our F50 I thought and lost most 50/50 calls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Bailey Williams - is such a talented player, and when he finds enough of the ball like he did tonight, he has the ability to make us a much better side.
    Bring back 2021 Bailey

14. Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Me going off at Williams when he held on to the ball too long then shanked the kick and they goaled - I was wanting his blood, but how wrong. He played a great game."

Are you getting in my head or is it the other way round?!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

B
    1. Bont played a sublime, complete game of footy. Close to perfect.
    2. Jamarra looked every bit the hard working, star forward KPF but for rewards on the scoreboard due to bad kicking. His performance was strong enough to still have me give him a mention here despite not finishing.
    3. English continued his excellent form and was robust enough, worked for long enough to stay up all game. He’s a real barometer.

A
    1. Balls out the front of the contest. Threatened to derail all our hard work, again. We looked dominant at times but still felt we were only ever a kick away from catastrophe.
    2. Goalkicking. A part of the complex problem that plagues us, combined with above.
    3.Tripping rule. Umpires ignored it again, though this time we should have been penalised. I hate it, don’t want to see it in the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Williams. If he kicks that last goal he probably gets Brownlow votes. Outstanding all round performance.

Bont doing Bont things.

Jones' intercepting was elite, but they'd was also a moment when he was the get out option in the centre when the switch looked like being shut down. Marked superbly and sent us forward. So glad he's back.

Anchors

Key forward goalkicking. I'm singling out Marra and Lobb and make no apologies for it. Marra was excellent the way he presented but turning 10 marks into 0.3 isn't up to scratch. If Lobb kicks 3.1 instead of 1.3 the crowd get frozen out of the game.

Keath's decision making. A couple of very silly play on options by him first is dearly.

The Freo crowd. I think they'd legitimately forgotten they'd poached him from GWS before he was a docker.

18. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

McRae - second half was back to what we expect
    Bailey Williams - Close to his best game and 3 goals was outstanding.

Anchors
    McRae - Dinky kicks to oppo hands when a handball over the top would have set us up.
    Bailey Williams - dawdling out of the back pocket and allowing Freo to smother the kick. Use the space in front to take ground while you assess the options down the ground.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    "Me going off at Williams when he held on to the ball too long then shanked the kick and they goaled - I was wanting his blood, but how wrong. He played a great game."

Are you getting in my head or is it the other way round?!
    Haha
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.