Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  84
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs, Tim O'Brien

I’m pretty on the fence about this one. Given there’s been no outlay of picks and the contract is likely pretty friendly I’m willing to cut the team some slack. But O’Brien has been an “almost” player for 9 years, I just can’t really see him playing a huge role. Maybe he takes the Wood role, but even then I’m not hugely convinced

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much about him other than the game he played against us in Tassie. What I will say is that whilst he's been on a list for 9 years, for 4 or 5 of them he would have been a young kid in a bloody good team! Hard to get a look in.

Since 2017/18 as the Hawks slid down the ladder, he has been a regular player in a team on the decline. That's not easy so maybe becoming part of a strong back 6 will allow him to play a settled role.

Who knows. I am ok with the trade as it has secured someone who will add depth and increase competition for spots without us paying overs.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog, ratsmac, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Finished the year strongly. Perhaps given every opportunity to fatten him up for trade - but given the Clarkson situation - maybe not. So I'm pretty optimistic.

He's played 97 games, so he's a chance to play his best footy for us.

Finished the year with

14 & 10 marks in a win v the pies
    24 & 10 marks in a win v the dogs
    18 & 7 marks in a draw with the tigers
    Don't think Lewy Young has ever had those numbers, save for his first AFL game against Carlton.

Effectively O'Brien and pick 52 for Lewy Young sounds pretty good to me.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes jeemak, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Don't think Lewy Young has ever had those numbers, save for his first AFL game against Carlton.

Effectively O'Brien and pick 52 for Lewy Young sounds pretty good to me.
    There is an age gap but I agree. Also, Lewy wanted out, so that part not in our hands.

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I’m pretty on the fence about this one. Given there’s been no outlay of picks and the contract is likely pretty friendly I’m willing to cut the team some slack. But O’Brien has been an “almost” player for 9 years, I just can’t really see him playing a huge role. Maybe he takes the Wood role, but even then I’m not hugely convinced
    Why do you not see him playing a role? He looks every bit as good as Mitch Hannan, even a bit more mobile.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Fingers crossed we have another Duryea type gem on our hands.
    Good point. he's coming from a very good culture with a system that our coach knows.

Joins an elite club of ginger dogs.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Tim. I reckon he will slot in well. Tim and Schache’s ability to play both ends could be a plus although it looks like he was recruited more so as a defender.

Also separate to football ability but important for some of us….he is quite a nice looking chap & we can never have too many readheads.

13. Likes Ghost Dog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Good point. he's coming from a very good culture with a system that our coach knows.

Joins an elite club of ginger dogs.
    That’s an Arnott’s biscuit variety right there - love it.

15. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No Free Agency compensation for Hawthorn. I’m sure they were hoping for a third rounder to help the rebuild. Ah well.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly Jon Ralph said Hawks in a last ditch attempt tried to get him to stay.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    No Free Agency compensation for Hawthorn. I’m sure they were hoping for a third rounder to help the rebuild. Ah well.
    Does that mean the years/dollars weren’t enough to trigger compo? Good deal for us if so.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

20. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Why do you not see him playing a role? He looks every bit as good as Mitch Hannan, even a bit more mobile.
    Seems he’s been brought in to play down back.
    Does he play ahead of Wood? I mean he might, and Wood gets injured a lot, but do you see Bevo not playing Wood if he’s fit?
    Who does he dislodge from the backline? I’m not sure he has the capacity to play on proper key forwards so Keath and Gardner/Cordy probably take those spots.
    He doesn’t dislodge any of Williams / Dale / Duryea.
    I’m just not sure how he fits and I’m definitely not sure he’s good enough to be first 22. I mean he has tools but he hasn’t put it together in 9 years. It’s unlikely he does now, but happy to be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Does that mean the years/dollars weren’t enough to trigger compo? Good deal for us if so.
    Yep. AFEL stricter this year it seems. Hawthorn effectively delisted him. The two years must not be decent money. So we have a free hit and very little risk. Shrewd move by Power. Now for Tim 2 to take the opportunity.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Interestingly Jon Ralph said Hawks in a last ditch attempt tried to get him to stay.
    Act 1: Explore your options elsewhere Tim, there’s no contract and honestly no future. Explore free agency.

Act 2: Tim we aren’t getting compo. Ignore the dogs wanting you, and us not. We can maybe offer you something.

Act 3: I’m joining the dogs all the same.