Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Ricky Nixon investigated by the AFL for allegedly selling forged premiership memorabilia

Ricky Nixon investigated by the AFL for allegedly selling forged premiership memorabilia

Former player agent pioneer Ricky Nixon is being investigated by police and the AFL for allegedly selling forged Melbourne premiership memorabilia, which he claimed was for charity.

The Herald Sun can reveal police are now looking into the matter.

Complaints about Mr Nixon allegedly selling illegitimate premiership memorabilia have been made to police based in Melbourne’s east.

The Melbourne Football Club also reported the selling of fake goods to the AFL.

“Melbourne Football Club has been made aware of the alleged sales of illegitimate 2021 premiership memorabilia,” a spokesman said.

“The club has reported the matter to the AFL legal and licensing department, who are investigating the matter.

“For anyone wishing to purchase official and genuine 2021 premiership memorabilia the club advises to do so via this link: officialmemorabilia.com.au.”

Nixon sold footballs said to be signed by Melbourne premiership players for $575 each plus $20 postage on his own Facebook page, claiming the funds were going towards charity, according to Nine.

Nixon’s posts appear to have since been deleted.

It is believed at least 20 Melbourne supporters bought the memorabilia.

The AFL confirmed on Monday that the league was investigating the matter.

“The AFL has been made aware of concerns to footballs with allegedly counterfeit signatures being sold and is currently investigating the matter and has requested Mr Nixon immediately cease any further sales,” a spokesman said.

A Dees fan, who did not want to be named, told the Herald Sun he discovered his premiership ball was allegedly fake after reaching out to star player Christian Petracca.

The fan said Mr Nixon claimed the “signed” Sherrins were given to him by the AFL and that he would donate the proceeds to a children’s cancer charity.

“(Mr Nixon) posted on Facebook that he had a few signed footys and I messaged him straight away,” the fan said.

“He got back to me really quickly and told me to pay money to his account. I organised pick-up a few days later in Port Melbourne.”

The fan grew suspicious of his Sherrin after comments surfaced online about them being fake.

“I messaged Christian Petracca asking if he had signed it. He said it wasn’t his signature and he would contact the AFL,” the fan said.

When the fan called Mr Nixon out on the alleged scam and asked for a refund, Mr Nixon replied: “Bring the ball back now. I don’t deal with morons”.

He eventually received a refund from Mr Nixon but claims many others haven’t and have now taken the matter to police.

“A lot of them still don’t have their money back. (Mr Nixon) has blocked them,” the fan said.

“The guys who contacted police are the ones who haven’t had their money returned.”

The fan said the ordeal put a dampener on the Demons’ historic premiership win and that he hoped Mr Nixon would be made to face the consequences of his actions..

“I am pretty disappointed ... I am a mad Dees fan so I was really keen to get premiership merchandise,” he said.

“At the end of the day it’s fraud, which is especially bad in these times when people are struggling.”

The Herald Sun has seen written correspondence between another premiership player claiming he did not sign the Sherrin.

Nixon was contacted by the Herald Sun for comment.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ricky Nixon investigated by the AFL for allegedly selling forged premiership memorabilia

Solid citizen

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ricky Nixon investigated by the AFL for allegedly selling forged premiership memorabilia

He's an Oxygen Thief.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

What a scum bag.

I have no great love or respect for the MFC but this is beyond the pale.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Give him a break, I'm sure he just had a face full of rack under duress and someone made him do it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post