Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating the 2021 Trade Period

Ruck issue not addressed but at least we somewhat addressed the intercept marker in defence. Would be great to see Jordan Sweet come on next season.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 13-10-2021 at 10:01 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

No rucks, no indigenous talent. Fail.
    Enough points for Darcy. Win.

50/50.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I just said in the other thread, Young is not a ruck and neither is Dunkley. We lost depth, but we didn’t lose ruck-stock. If anything we will gain it with Darcy.
    I agree Young isn’t a ruck, but we used him as one in 2 finals and chose him as one over Sweet. Yet here we are with Sweet getting re-signed and Young is gone. So by whatever logic the MC is using, our ruck stocks got worse.

Darcy probably won’t play at all next season let alone play as a ruck. Even long term he’s not projected as a ruck.

4. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Missed opportunity to improve the list.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

On the surface, getting enough points for Darcy and getting something for Lipinski feel like small victories in an otherwise pretty terrible trade period. I guess if we have a small forward and ruck hidden away in the draft it could be pulled from the fire.

If Lewis Young turns into an instant gun KPD this will surely be tipped into worst trade period ever territory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    Did we get enough Draft Points for Sam Darcy (if he goes at #3)?
    We even got enough if he goes at 2. Which is possible given GWS are picking there and would probably do it out of spite.

It was a nothing trade period, but we didn’t have a lot of assets to spend, and essentially did alright with Young and Lipinski given the circumstances.
    I would have liked to see some ruck talent come in, but we do have a draft period left where we can potentially add a mature state league bod (I’ve no idea who is out there) for depth.

8. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam has done well to get enough points to bid for Darcy, plus has bolstered our backline and traded off two fringe players.

I am not fussed about not getting another ruck in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sam has done well to get enough points to bid for Darcy, plus has bolstered our backline and traded off two fringe players.

I am not fussed about not getting another ruck in.
    I'm with you BAD. We are as good a list as any and the Demons might not have the hunger next season.

Get improvement from our youth to supplement the stars and things are looking bloody rosy.

Post Thanks / Like

Weird that Sam Power went in Road to the Draft and said we are in the trading phase of our list.

Then not really trade anyone in.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Weird that Sam Power went in Road to the Draft and said we are in the trading phase of our list.

Then not really trade anyone in.
    I just think it was difficult this year. The clubs expected the salary cap to go back up, and it hasn't, so trades were down, and not much out there that we needed unless we sold off pick one for next year. We are now clear and don't have future picks to give away.

Next year we should be drafting more youth.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We were hobbled by a choice that needed to be taken. Imagine what the picks we had at our disposal plus the picks we accumulated to secure points could have done in terms of trading and then drafting (my imaginations says pretty much FA, but go for your life).

I'm not unhappy about where we are, however, I am starting to wonder whether Power is a tactical operator rather than a list building strategic operator - and then I look at the results.

Power had a very good period last year, because there was a ruck who we would play available and an A-grade mid available who nobody really wanted and needed to be waited on to secure. Which he did, and gets points for that.

But what about talent that wasn't handed to him?

2019 - Keath, Bruce, Butler, Garcia and Weightman (9/ 10)
    2020 - Hannan, Martin, Treloar, JUH and Bedendo (7.5/ 10)
    2021 - O'Brien, Darcy and TBC (I won't judge purely on trade period as drafting etc. is very important)

His body of work is excellent (and I have taken avoiding deficits into account). There's no stepping around it, it is excellent. However, it isn't perfect and unless a ruck pops up that none of us were expecting to pop up his trend might be going downwards pretty quickly.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    We were hobbled by a choice that needed to be taken. Imagine what the picks we had at our disposal plus the picks we accumulated to secure points could have done in terms of trading and then drafting (my imaginations says pretty much FA, but go for your life).

I'm not unhappy about where we are, however, I am starting to wonder whether Power is a tactical operator rather than a list building strategic operator - and then I look at the results.

Power had a very good period last year, because there was a ruck who we would play available and an A-grade mid available who nobody really wanted and needed to be waited on to secure. Which he did, and gets points for that.

But what about talent that wasn't handed to him?

2019 - Keath, Bruce, Butler, Garcia and Weightman (9/ 10)
    2020 - Hannan, Martin, Treloar, JUH and Bedendo (7.5/ 10)
    2021 - O'Brien, Darcy and TBC (I won't judge purely on trade period as drafting etc. is very important)

His body of work is excellent (and I have taken avoiding deficits into account). There's no stepping around it, it is excellent. However, it isn't perfect and unless a ruck pops up that none of us were expecting to pop up his trend might be going downwards pretty quickly.
    Very Harsh Jee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Very Harsh Jee
    Think his point was that Treloar sort of fell in our lap and JUH was part of our academy so he didn’t have to find them. Outside of that we got Hannan, Martin and Bedendo.

19. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Think his point was that Treloar sort of fell in our lap and JUH was part of our academy so he didn’t have to find them. Outside of that we got Hannan, Martin and Bedendo.
    Treloar didn't just fall into our lap. JUH - well we again had to find the points top match a number 1 pick

Post Thanks / Like

If we pickup a ready to go vfl or other state ruck as a good backup that’ll ease my mind a bit. It’s the concern regarding martin’s durability & if sweet or English are injured I’m worried about. I reckon sweet will be ok for us. His a competitive player & ive watched him in vfl and reckon he’ll improve-just needs encouragement & games & build his tank over preseason.