Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prince John and Queen Elizabeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I think this is Prince John, enemy of Robin Hood.

Thats the guy. He was Richard the Lionhearts brother. The Lionheart spent all but about a year of his ten year reign out of the country campaigning in France (He only spoke French and Latin, not a word of English) and crusading in the holy lands. John spent most of the time Richard was away undermining him and trying to take the throne.

Richard died from a gangrenous infection while besieging a totally unimportant castle in France. He was applauding the valour of one of the defenders when the defender shot him in the shoulder with a crossbow bolt. The wound got infected after they removed the bolt and he died a week or so later. John became king and lost nearly all the land in France that his father (Henry II) and his brother (Richard I) had conquered.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I reckon that's the year that Stupid Sexy Prince Charles was driven along Somerville road past Kingsville primary school on his way to the airport and we all had to traipse outside and wave as he went past. Except me, my dad told me that I shouldn't wave. I had to sit down when Mrs Monkhouse made us sing God Save the Queen too.
    Norris, a legend and a man of conviction. I could imagine he gave it straight to Mrs Monkhouse when she complained to him about your impropriety.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak;769245[B
    ]Norris, a legend and a man of conviction.[/b] I could imagine he gave it straight to Mrs Monkhouse when she complained to him about your impropriety.
    He was that for sure. Poor old Mrs Monkhouse didn't stand a chance in the exchange of ideas over that one. I know more about Judaism than about conventional Christianity because he told the school I wasn't to do Religious Education classes so I ended up standing in the corridor with the Jewish kids while everyone else read from the Bible with the local Anglican minister!

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

King John redeemed himself with Magna Carta.
    In the days before England practised genocide on the Irish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    King John redeemed himself with Magna Carta.
    In the days before England practised genocide on the Irish.
    He did sign Magna Carta but the barons didn't give him a lot of choice in the matter. Then as soon as he signed it he appealed to the pope to get out of the terms of it. He had handed England over to the pope a few years before hand sort of leased it back. It was all as part of a settlement with the church after John had fallen out with it.

https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/b...his-protection

John's dad Henry II sent Anglo Norman troops to invade Ireland in 1169. He got the pope's permission to put down an argument between two Irish kings and used it as an excuse to take it over. Ireland was also used as a staging post by Vikings for invasions on the north of England and Henry wanted a standing army over there to prevent it happening again.

9. Likes EasternWest, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post