Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Woof Player Awards Rnd 1 - Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    The Coon Dog.

I know you dont have to answer to anyone, but im just wondering as to why you left Cooney out of your top 4?
    No that's fine. I didn't have him in my top 5. Each quarter I mark who I think plays well & tally it all up after the game (otherwise someone's good second half sticks in your mind more than someone's good first half).

I just thought others were better, tho they may not have been, it's just how I saw it. I don't go off the radio, or from stats, it's as I see it.

I guess there were many players today who played well for periods of the game without putting in a solid 4 quarter effort, such as Cross, Welsh, Akermanis, Hudson & of course Cooney.

Conney certainly wasn't alone but it just seemed to me he went sideways as a first option too often. I may be wrong, but that's just how I saw it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    No that's fine. I didn't have him in my top 5. Each quarter I mark who I think plays well & tally it all up after the game (otherwise someone's good second half sticks in your mind more than someone's good first half).

I just thought others were better, tho they may not have been, it's just how I saw it. I don't go off the radio, or from stats, it's as I see it.

I guess there were many players today who played well for periods of the game without putting in a solid 4 quarter effort, such as Cross, Welsh, Akermanis, Hudson & of course Cooney.

Conney certainly wasn't alone but it just seemed to me he went sideways as a first option too often. I may be wrong, but that's just how I saw it.
    He certainly ran sideways and his kicking wasn't always spot on but he did set a few forwards up with excellent kicks so it's, obviously, down to opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    He certainly ran sideways and his kicking wasn't always spot on but he did set a few forwards up with excellent kicks so it's, obviously, down to opinion.
    Some of his clearances were very clean and telling - the one in the last qtr with the lace out finish to Johnno was unbelievable, plus he worked harder to create options around the ground too.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe Marmo Medal

4 - Daniel Giansiracusa
    3 - Jason Akermanis
    2 - Brad Johnson
    1 - Adam Cooney

Ron James Medal

2 - Josh Hill
    1 - Ryan Griffen
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

4. Cooney
    3. Johnson
    2. Giansiracusa
    1. West

2. Hill
    1. Griffen

Post Thanks / Like

4. Cooney
    3. Johnson
    2. Hudson
    1. Akermanis

2. Hill
    1. Griffen

What's with all the votes for Minson? I dont understand. A few spikes out of the ruck in the last quarter...and what else exactly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    What's with all the votes for Minson? I dont understand. A few spikes out of the ruck in the last quarter...and what else exactly?
    Picked up Johnson off the ground after his last goal.
    I wouldn't of had in my best but I don't think he played badly.

Post Thanks / Like

4. Cooney
    3. Johnson
    2. Hudson
    1. Akermanis

2. Hill
    1. Griffen

Important touches at important times. Went missing for large parts of the game, but his work at the business end of the match was crucial to setting up our win.

Post Thanks / Like

Some excellent taps to advantage. Best I've seen by a dogs ruckman.

Post Thanks / Like

4. Cooney
    3. Johnson
    2. Hudson
    1. Akermanis

2. Hill
    1. Griffen

I didn't give him a vote but I thought he turned the game in the last when we were gone.

Post Thanks / Like

4. Cooney
    3. Johnson
    2. Giansiracusa
    1. Akermanis

2. Hill
    1. Griffen

4 & 3 votes were easy. The 2 & 1 could have went to any of 6 or 8 players.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen the game yet (v v distressed about that and am desperate to see a replay), but The Age has some new stats features, one of which is an assessment of taps to advantage. They have Minson with 10 taps, 80% to advantage, and Hudson with 9 taps, 33% to advantage. They also have Griffin with 18 and 17%, and Tippet 9 with 22%.

I know Hudson seemed to have a good game, and can be credited with at least part of the fact that Adelaide had very few taps to advantage, and I'd like to know how many contested possessions Hudson got (I'd guess a fair few), but those stats are impressive and Minson sounded like he both spiked to advantage and got it right down Cooney and Higgins' throats as well. That said, Hudson had 17 possessions, 9 marks and two clangers, while Minson had 9 possies, 6 marks and 4 clangers.

As Dog Town noted in another thread, other teams will work out where Minson is spiking it to, but while that will probably limit the clean spike take-aways, if our players are ready for it we should still be able to take advantage of the forward momentum of the ball, much like Brisbane did in their hey-day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I didn't give him a vote but I thought he turned the game in the last when we were gone.
    He did some good things in the last q, but for 80% of the game was in the forward line doing next to nothing. Tap-outs to advantage remain the most ridiculous stat ever conceived...advantage based on what basically? Cooney's ability to break away from Van Berlo and one grab a ground ball at full speed? That is Cooney, not Minson.

Post Thanks / Like

4 - Cooney
    3 - Giansiracusa
    2 - Johnson
    1 - West

2 - Hill
    1 - Griffen
    Crumbs!

Post Thanks / Like

He did some good things in the last q, but for 80% of the game was in the forward line doing next to nothing. Tap-outs to advantage remain the most ridiculous stat ever conceived...advantage based on what basically? Cooney's ability to break away from Van Berlo and one grab a ground ball at full speed? That is Cooney, not Minson.
    What about his 30 M spike that landed on Eagleton's head? Hudson had ran out of legs, if it weren't for Will, I'm convinced we wouldn't have won.