Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2021 Draft Strategy

Out: Jong, Young, Lipinski

Open: Two Primary List Spots

Total: 5 List Spots Open - Less TOB - makes it 4

Picks: 5 (23, 43, 44, 45, 52) - Heaps of points - Equal to 4 Spots Open

Fifth Spot Open: Possibly Martin has been offered a Rookie List spot (after delisting), or say Wood retires. There needs to be 5 spots to use 5 picks

Sliding: If Darcy gets to Pick 5, we could trade out Pick 23 for a Future Second or hold onto Pick 52 as a live selection

Rookie List: Must reduce by 2 spots to increase Primary List Spots by 2

Who: Has to be Hayes & Cavarra delisted as others have contracts

Delisted Free Agents: Not enough room for any prior to the National Draft

Five Vacancies: Darcy guaranteed, up to 4 others from draftees, priority access &/ or rookie elevations

NGA Option: Cody Raak - Free after Pick 41 or Cat B if no bid comes

F/S Option: Ewan MacPherson Free after Pick 52 or Cat A if no bid comes

Rookie Elevations: TBA. Possibly 1 or 2. But McNeil, Gardner, Sweet & Roarke can all spend 2022 on the Rookie List despite all getting two year deals

SSP: Possibly hold open a spot for guys who train with us over summer
    Sam Power: Great Sage, Equal Of Heaven

2. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, soupman, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2021 Draft Strategy

Thanks again BT

So what happens if Darcy gets to pick three. What do we have available to us to use in the draft?
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Thanks again BT

So what happens if Darcy gets to pick three. What do we have available to us to use in the draft?
    2,248 - Current Points
    1,787 - Pick 3 After Discount

Picks 23, 43, 44 & 45 used
    Given back Pick 53
    Pick 52 Stays intact

Darcy at 3, Pick 52 & 53

Alternatively, Trade Pick 23 for a Future Second & circa Pick 46 (330 Points or more) then:

Darcy at 3, Future Second Rounders, late selections

Hopefully those stress fractures and no footy has him sliding to 3-5+. Options really open up. But we can afford him with no deficit at Pick 2. Even at Pick 1 the deficit is minor.

5. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we may even play around with pick 23 in the next few weeks and see if we can gain a bit more
    FFC: Established 1877

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think we may even play around with pick 23 in the next few weeks and see if we can gain a bit more
    I don’t think we will have the spots on to split it again.

If we can get Darcy to Pick 3+, I’m looking at Richmond. Pick 23 for Pick 40 and one of their second rounders (theirs or North’s they have). Must be tempting for them to get another Top 25 selection for their second last pick and one of their two 2022 Second Rounders.

8. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

‘Clearly right at the top’: Horne-Francis firms as North’s No.1 draft pick

North Melbourne football chief Brady Rawlings has indicated star South Australian midfielder Jason Horne-Francis is all but a lock as the No.1 overall pick in November’s AFL national draft but says the Kangaroos could yet bid on Nick Daicos or Sam Darcy.

Industry sources say it would be a surprise if the rebuilding Kangaroos bid on Daicos, set to head to Collingwood as a father-son, and Darcy, set to head to the Western Bulldogs as a father-son, for they want to make the exciting Horne-Francis the stand-out top selection in what is the club’s first No.1 pick.

Regardless of whether they follow the lead last year of the then bottom-placed Adelaide and made a bid on a player - in that case Western Bulldogs Next Generation Academy prospect Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - which was certain to be matched, the Kangaroos are ready to embrace the dynamic Horne-Francis.

“He is clearly right at the top with Nick Daicos and Sam Darcy throughout the year. There are a couple of others that are very appealing at that pointy end,” Rawlings said on Thursday.

“I think what you saw from Jason, especially in that last month of footy in the SANFL, we have seen that for two years at SANFL level. Going into this season, he was well and truly at the top and he has had a terrific year. You can’t put any better performances together than what Jason Horne-Francis has done over the last couple of years.”

Rawlings said Horne-Francis, who has been compared to Patrick Dangerfield and Nat Fyfe, had “all the attributes we look for” and “can change a game”. The South Adelaide onballer had 24 disposals, three goals, 18 contested possessions, 11 clearances and 10 score involvements in the SANFL preliminary final.

Horne-Francis, 18, is seen as the reason why the Kangaroos knocked back “spitball deals” from Adelaide and Richmond through the trade period for the No.1 pick.

Daicos, the son of Magpies’ great Peter, has already signed a four-year with the Magpies, including two for his standard first contract, while Darcy is the son of former Bulldogs captain Luke Darcy, the latter now on the club’s board.

Rawlings said the Kangaroos would still assess whether to bid for either Daicos or Darcy.

“We will run through that over the next couple of weeks … we will start crunching the numbers in terms of our order,” he said.

Industry sources say Greater Western Sydney, with the No.2 overall selection, is mulling whether to bid for Darcy, which would push Daicos further down the draft order.
    FFC: Established 1877

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So we will take a flyer or two late in the draft. What type of players will we look at?

Difficult to strike gold in this range, but I’d be looking at pace as a key attribute and also wonder whether we’d take another developing ruck late?
    Woof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    So we will take a flyer or two late in the draft. What type of players will we look at?

Difficult to strike gold in this range, but I’d be looking at pace as a key attribute and also wonder whether we’d take another developing ruck late?
    Late in the draft do you think we might look at one or two of the Footscray boys?
    Other than that perhaps a versatile tall or a mid.
    Would we consider someone like Lonie who we've apparently previously had some interest in.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I hope we can find a

1. Genuine goal kicking small forward. A quick ground level player who crumbs and snaps goals or roves the pack and kicks truly.

2. A quick medium goal kicking forward. An all rounder who can lead, mark & be the finisher from linking with the midfield or other forwards. Must also be good at ground level.

I want forwards. Not midfielders trying to be forwards or half backs trying to be forwards. Players who have played most of their lives as goal kickers or goal creators. Emphasis on players with strong ability to gather the loose ball or link up and create. I think we have a lot of aerial power already.

Add them to young forwards Naughton, Jamarra & Weightman in the senior team hopefully for many years to come.
    Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Dai

Darcy is the son of former Bulldogs captain Luke Darcy, the latter now on the club’s board

As a matter of interest is Darcy Sr obliged to step down from his board position when Sam is a listed player?
    In personal conduct be always polite but never obsequious. None will respect you more than you respect yourself. Avoid quarrels as long as you can without yielding to imposition. But sustain your manhood always. Never bring a suit in law for assault and battery or for defamation. The law affords no remedy for such outrages that can satisfy the feelings of a true man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    As a matter of interest is Darcy Sr obliged to step down from his board position when Sam is a listed player?
    Someone in the AFL step down due to a conflict of interest?

"It's over. It's all over."

15. Likes Grantysghost, KT31, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t have thought so. I don’t think Darcy is involved in list management decisions. Unlike Carlton who had Stephen Silvangi as list manager and his sons on the list at the same time! Or when Dennis Pagan played his son Ryan!
    #BeMoreBulldog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Late in the draft do you think we might look at one or two of the Footscray boys?
    Other than that perhaps a versatile tall or a mid.
    Would we consider someone like Lonie who we've apparently previously had some interest in.
    Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding.....my Loanie alarm just went off!

He's definitely a Cavarra upgrade, just not sure we think we have the space if we want to keep West and Garcia interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding.....my Loanie alarm just went off!

He's definitely a Cavarra upgrade, just not sure we think we have the space if we want to keep West and Garcia interested.
    Your loonie alert? I could have done with one of those.
    In personal conduct be always polite but never obsequious. None will respect you more than you respect yourself. Avoid quarrels as long as you can without yielding to imposition. But sustain your manhood always. Never bring a suit in law for assault and battery or for defamation. The law affords no remedy for such outrages that can satisfy the feelings of a true man.

Post Thanks / Like

Your loonie alert? I could have done with one of those.
    You'd have just disconnected it mate.