Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  38
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: We need to change how we think about Tim English

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Jackson was pick 3.

Very rare for a ruckman.

Sometimes it pays to be terrible after a decent season.

Didn't the Pies do something similar with Pendlebury (vague memory).
    They absolutely smashed that draft out of the park. Jackson is just a natural competitive beast, you either have it or you don’t. Timmy doesn’t, unfortunately.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

You can improve your competitiveness as you mature, just as you can lose it. Tim mightn't get to the levels of some others in that area, but it doesn't mean he can't improve drastically.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey we’re all on Tim’s side. Because if he can become what we want and need, it’ll change the face of our on field performances. The Bont is our best. But Tim is probably the most critical in terms of turning us from a top 4 team into a fearful threat year after year.

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Who wrote this balanced nonsense?
    Danjul clearly

6. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Danjul clearly

lots of stats

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    More his competitiveness and agression that concerns me rather than his craft. His ruck craft can develop. His competitiveness and aggression I’m not so sure. For a guy his size, he should never ever be beaten in contests like his is.
    He looked like he was becoming the player we wanted this year until he was concussed. I’d also love him to demand and attack the ball more in the forward line. And even help as a backman when we are being pummelled - I recall he did ok supporting backline in past years from time to time. Hope he makes it to top echelon of ruck/forwards and that it is with us. Intelligent, thoughtful, well spoken young man.

9. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    He looked like he was becoming the player we wanted this year until he was concussed. I’d also love him to demand and attack the ball more in the forward line. And even help as a backman when we are being pummelled - I recall he did ok supporting backline in past years from time to time. Hope he makes it to top echelon of ruck/forwards and that it is with us. Intelligent, thoughtful, well spoken young man.
    No matter what type of footballer he becomes, I'll always want to introduce him to my 94 year old Nanna.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Danjul clearly
    I'd like to think that I was too mature to laugh at that.

Sometimes things are as funny as a New Zealand policeman trying to say fish and chips though.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah unfortunately thoughtful, intelligent ones are often less courageous on the footy field because they think too much of consequences! I think the concussion did affect him but he should have overcome it later in the year. If not it’s likely to affect him his whole career (I’m talking about him second guessing contests rather than the effects of concussion).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    From Rounds 12 to 21, English averaged 23.2 hitouts, 4.2 marks and booted six goals, matching established players such as Sean Darcy, Nic Naitanui and Reilly O’Brien.
    As a simple measure of competitiveness, Gawn registered 485 hitouts in 13 games in 2015; English recorded 341 in nine games as an out-and-out ruckman in 2021.
    341 hitouts in 9 games would be 38 hitouts a game not 23
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    341 hitouts in 9 games would be 38 hitouts a game not 23
    The problem with the stat quoted is that he did have 341 hitouts and he probably did play 9 games as the primary ruckman.

However he played a total of 22 games to get the hitouts, it was just in the majority of the games he was not operating as No 1 ruck.

To really understand they need to delve into what he did in those 9 games rather than use it as a throwaway line.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

He looked like he was becoming the player we wanted this year until he was concussed. Hope he makes it to top echelon of ruck/forwards and that it is with us. Intelligent, thoughtful, well spoken young man.
    There’s a lot to be said for this. Concussions are impacting sportspeople so much more now. Will Pucovski, Liam Picken, Boyd Cordner, Levi Greenwood…. Tim’s injury was quite horrifying and unconventional.

Hopefully time will help.

Most rucks don’t start to peak until 27+ So happy with where he is heading.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The problem with the stat quoted is that he did have 341 hitouts and he probably did play 9 games as the primary ruckman.

However he played a total of 22 games to get the hitouts, it was just in the majority of the games he was not operating as No 1 ruck.

To really understand they need to delve into what he did in those 9 games rather than use it as a throwaway line.
    Max Gawn only played 13 games in 2015, not 13 games as the primary ruck and 9 games as a forward or ruck/forward

Max averaged 37 hitouts a game, Tim averaged 23 hitouts a game when he was number 1 ruck
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

There is always going to be some misses along the way. Thought pretty highly of Jimmy Toumpas back when he was a junior because he seemed to have plenty of time and was a good decision maker. Clearly he came up well short at the senior level though.
    Toumpas was ruined by injury, his mobility and pace were killed by hip injuries.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

20. Thanks GVGjr, macca thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Danjul clearly
    If you knew Danjul personally as I do you would understand his absolute fanatical support to our beloved Club. In another World he is a highly respected retired Teacher academic. The strength of WOOF is to respect those of differing views to our own.