Thanks Thanks:  315
Likes Likes:  1,111
Page 5 of 90 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant Coaches

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not that concerned, if he has a plan that suits Bevo's overall vision and we are confident he can get the message across that's good enough for me. I'd prefer a more established assistant but he must have impressed Bevo.
    Was there a process? Serious question. (sorry working late and bored).

E.g. I'd rather Dale Morris if we are plucking guys from nowhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Baz has a bit of competition on the Brownlow carpet next year if Fabio gets the gig. He's not called Fabio for no reason. He's got that smile, he's got that flair (hair)!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not that concerned, if he has a plan that suits Bevo's overall vision and we are confident he can get the message across that's good enough for me. I'd prefer a more established assistant but he must have impressed Bevo.
    He seems like a good guy and he must have presented well, but the fact is we're taking a risk because there's absolutely zero track record on his ability to coach. Nobody can say for certain whether he's a good coach because there's just no evidence of it. Given how close we are to a flag, not sure I love that kind of decision making.

He might be great and I hope he is, but it's a different thing to have a good philosophy and present it well at a job interview and then implement it with various different playing styles and personalities at an elite football club.

Good luck to him (and us).
    W00F!

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    He seems like a good guy and he must have presented well, but the fact is we're taking a risk because there's absolutely zero track record on his ability to coach. Nobody can say for certain whether he's a good coach because there's just no evidence of it. Given how close we are to a flag, not sure I love that kind of decision making.

He might be great and I hope he is, but it's a different thing to have a good philosophy and present it well at a job interview and then implement it with various different playing styles and personalities at an elite football club.

Good luck to him (and us).
    I think we have to wait and see who else is appointed to judge the coaching group properly. If we get another inexperienced guy it might be a challenge but if we come in with someone who has some runs on the board then it could be a great mix for us to refresh the messages going out to the playing group. Ultimately Bevo has to make it work so he has to get it right.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we have to wait and see who else is appointed to judge the coaching group properly. If we get another inexperienced guy it might be a challenge but if we come in with someone who has some runs on the board then it could be a great mix for us to refresh the messages going out to the playing group. Ultimately Bevo has to make it work so he has to get it right.
    Given the loss of experienced Assistants the last couple of years, someone with prior experience at another Club should be a perquisite for the next hire, given Spangher's appointment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Do these so called yes men even exist?
    Sir,

Yes.

Thank you,
    More of an In Bruges guy?

9. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We really don't know anything about the process. For all we know there were a bunch of candidates who were asked to sell their F50 'vision' and the Spang did better than anyone else.

Or it was all based on a dinner party and he brought a Heathcote Shiraz that was better than anyone else's tipple. We just don't know.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes Grantysghost, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We really don't know anything about the process. For all we know there were a bunch of candidates who were asked to sell their F50 'vision' and the Spang did better than anyone else.

Or it was all based on a dinner party and he brought a Heathcote Shiraz that was better than anyone else's tipple. We just don't know.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what Spangher brings as a forward line coach. Just because he's not from the traditional pathway we shouldn't discount the merits of the appointment. Cautiously optimistic.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to seeing what Spangher brings as a forward line coach. Just because he's not from the traditional pathway we shouldn't discount the merits of the appointment. Cautiously optimistic.
    As Jeemak said, there are many players who after retiring become an assistant coach, Spangher is no different
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Are we bringing in anyone else or have we upgraded the VFL guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The Dogs will soon announce their midfield assistant coach for 2022, with Rohan Smith remaining in charge of the backline.
    Waiting
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sammy Power wasn't exactly a gun list manager at Carlton, I like the fact we give young intelligent people an opportunity.

Bevo clearly rates education and real-world work experience which Matty has done.
    Last edited by kruder; 18-11-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    BigFooty posters are saying Mick Hazell from St Bedes has been appointed midfield coach….
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    BigFooty posters are saying Mick Hazell from St Bedes has been appointed midfield coach….
    Bahahahaha, Jesus Christ I hope that's true just for the lols.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    It's a joke on the Bevo - yes man whining
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

21. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post