Thanks Thanks:  315
Likes Likes:  1,111
Page 8 of 90 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant Coaches

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    It's true too.

Conspiracy theorists need to turn their eye of Sauron away from Covid and cast it upon photocopier/printer companies they are taking us for rubes.
    "Big toner" controls us all.

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    F3 what the fk is that? I just cleared tray 3!

Gets me every time.

It's up there with Vince Collisimo doing Neville Bartos.

There's no cash here.
    Robbo?
    No cash.

For mine this is one of the great underrated scenes from Australian cinema. David Wenham milks it for all it's worth.

"Excuse me. Where can I get my bus fare?"

Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes Guido liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like that we have a coaching panel that are young and ready to prove they can take the next step. If I were an assistant I'd be wrapped to find myself at a club with a playing list like ours because you might just find yourself on the premiership dais at the end of the season and there's no better advertisement for your abilities than that. There should be a great hunger and the chance to prove your ability.

Sector the senior assistant I would think it'd be either Smith or Webb.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Listening to Ameet Baines on the radio this morning and he mentioned that we approached some former assistant coaches who had left the industry during COVID-19 and none where really interested in putting their hand up to get back into the industry due to increased workload and decrease in pay.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

8. Thanks bornadog, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Listening to Ameet Baines on the radio this morning and he mentioned that we approached some former assistant coaches who had left the industry during COVID-19 and none where really interested in putting their hand up to get back into the industry due to increased workload and decrease in pay.
    Thanks Aza, that's an interesting development. Normally the assistant coach are really keen to get back into it and money isn't the driving force. It must be a significant hair cut the footy department has been asked to cop.
    Given we dropped a couple of coaches I think the pay drop for the others would have been minimal.

I think we are an assistant coach light at the moment but we might be able to address that in 2023.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

I think we are an assistant coach light at the moment but we might be able to address that in 2023.
    There might be a plan here for Dale Morris or someone like that to contribute

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    That's interesting. Presumably they've already changed their careers and put their footy days behind them. Bevo called out a few times that the industry will lose a lot of talented people because of the cuts and this is one example of that happening (potentially... I presume they were talented given we wanted to sound them out!).

13. Likes WBFC4FFC, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    That's interesting. Presumably they've already changed their careers and put their footy days behind them. Bevo called out a few times that the industry will lose a lot of talented people because of the cuts and this is one example of that happening (potentially... I presume they were talented given we wanted to sound them out!).
    I think other clubs have cut in deeper with their fitness staff and carried the extra coaches.
    There was some speculation that Hansen got more money from Carlton who perhaps have hit the fitness team or other areas of the footy department more than the coaches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    We need to understand that being a good coach is generally dependent on also having good people skills.

Those with good people skills also attract good salaries in the corporate space, so those coaches forced out have probably found very good positions and changes in the world may also mean financial reward has become fairly important.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

16. Likes WBFC4FFC, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    We need to understand that being a good coach is generally dependent on also having good people skills.

Those with good people skills also attract good salaries in the corporate space, so those coaches forced out have probably found very good positions and changes in the world may also mean financial reward has become fairly important.
    People were reluctant to change jobs during COVID meaning talent was difficult to acquire generally, and this may have resulted in industries paying premiums for good talent right at the time the AFL was taking an austerity approach at club level - which may like most austerity regimes, have unintended (or intended depending upon who you ask) consequences down the track. A lack of immigration has meant a lack of skilled labour coming in as well.

Talk about bad timing for the AFL.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

THE THREE PLAYERS SPANGHER IS KEEN TO WORK WITH AT THE BULLDOGS

Matt Spangher will oversee the forward setup at the Western Bulldogs after last week being appointed as an assistant coach to Luke Beveridge.

The Hawthorn premiership player and cult hero finished up playing at the top level in 2016 before returning to the AFL industry only last year.

Having worked at Collingwood in an engagement and operations role since early 2020, Spangher will now turn his hand to coaching and is keen to get to work with some of the key Bulldogs attackers.

He is particularly excited to work closely with veteran Josh Bruce and unlock his footy knowledge to share with the wider group.

“One in an interesting phase is probably Josh Bruce, being predominantly one of the main senior players and having his knee injury (last season),” Spangher said on SEN Breakfast.

“I’m really keen to develop what I know he has aspirations to do in terms of his career. So to use what is his football IP and spread that across the group more than what it already is.

“Footy’s a small world and we’ve crossed paths in our playing days many years ago now. I think he’s one I’d like to work closely with and use what he can offer to bring the better out of the group as well.”

At the other end of the scale, there are a couple of youngsters who Spangher is looking forward to having under his wing.

The Dogs are almost certain to bring in father-son prospect Sam Darcy in Wednesday night’s National Draft while last year’s No.1 draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan continues to develop at the Whitten Oval.

“On the other end of the spectrum, Sam Darcy is coming into the side, whether or not that’s forward or back,” Spangher added.

“Having watched him at Oakleigh a little bit this year, he’s an impressive young man and the character of who he is in addition to his football ability.

“Obviously Jamarra is one they speak about who has got a lot of talent. Now there might be a little bit more opportunity coming through after a year in the system.

“Having said that, the forward group is unbelievably young across the board and I think that’s a really exciting part.

“Even though they’re young in age, many of them are quite senior in terms of footy lifespan. Aaron Naughton comes to mind in that respect.”

Spangher, who also played for West Coast and Sydney, has joined the Dogs along with WAFL great Marc Webb, who arrives at The Kennel after spending seven years with Fremantle.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder where this places Schache? I would have thought Naughton, Ugle-Hagan and Schache given Bruce will have a delayed start and Darcy being more of a long term project would have been the focus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gvgjr View Post
    i wonder where this places schache? I would have thought naughton, ugle-hagan and schache given bruce will have a delayed start and darcy being more of a long term project would have been the focus.
    vfl?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    vfl?
    Hope not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I wonder where this places Schache? I would have thought Naughton, Ugle-Hagan and Schache given Bruce will have a delayed start and Darcy being more of a long term project would have been the focus.
    The Bruce comment sounds like we will be using him as a pseudo assistant coach for the forwards in 2022, until he is ready to come back. I suspect most clubs would use long-term senior injured players in the same way to get around the soft cap.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

24. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post