Thanks Thanks:  315
Likes Likes:  1,111
Page 12 of 90 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant Coaches

Anyone heard what is happening with the extra $500K in the soft cap?

Was mentioned on this board that Smith would be leaving the dogs, but I've heard nothing more of this.

The supposed August 1st deadline has been and gone.

Is it safe to assume we will be entering 2023 with the same assistant coach set up?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Was mentioned on this board that Smith would be leaving the dogs, but I've heard nothing more of this.

Is it safe to assume we will be entering 2023 with the same assistant coach set up?
    I don't think we should assume we will have the same coaching structure as this year.
    500K extra in the department won't stretch as far as we would want though especially when you consider the people who took pay cuts a couple of years back and stuck with us probably deserve something heading back their way now that the coffers have been topped up.
    My understanding is that the recruiting department is now more or less just 3 or 4 people supported by volunteers and there were also cuts to the strength and conditioning team.

I would suggest we will get one more assistant coach and a couple of part timers for the coaches team and the balance should be invested in the strength and conditioning team and some behind the scenes support staff.

There will be some changes but it's unlikely to be back to something like we had before.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't the August 1 date just when the coaches have to be informed if they will be retained? Doesn't mean it is public knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Isn't the August 1 date just when the coaches have to be informed if they will be retained? Doesn't mean it is public knowledge.
    True, things like this normally leak out though.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm sure I heard Eddie mention it last week that there is now some flexibility with that date.
    As Axe pointed out clubs might already have talked to their assistants about what the future looks like for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Sanderson is clearly talented and we would be an experienced addition.

I wonder if we could pry Dean Cox out of Sydney?
    Troy Chaplin is the dees defensive coach as another option.
    I would love to get Joel Corey back or left field let’s poach Jimmy Bartel from the giants board
    We should never have lost both Joel Corey and Dale Morris at the same time. Matthew Boyd now at Fremantle should be a top priority.
    These three would greatly strengthen, our MC and as all are former Premiership players would greatly strengthen our Assistants further weakened by the loss of Hansen and King to Carlton and GCS. Given our rapid fall away this year, this needs to be a priority for the likes of Luke Darcy and Chris Grant in conjunction with Luke Beveridge to address.

7. Likes azabob, I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if we are in the market now looking for another Assistant or two as there was some speculation that Rohan Smith might be moving away from his role?

There must be some ambitious assistant coaches that would benefit learning from Bevo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I wonder if we are in the market now looking for another Assistant or two as there was some speculation that Rohan Smith might be moving away from his role?

There must be some ambitious assistant coaches that would benefit learning from Bevo.
    You would think if we approached Leon, that we are looking
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Ben Rutten had a strong CV as defensive line coach at Richmond prior to joining Essendon. He would be worth a chat to take over from Smith (assuming he is leaving) as defensive coach, especially considering Essendon will be paying any differential in 2023 between what we might offer him and the 600k he already has under contract next year.

Some coaches have a ceiling and cannot make the transition to senior coach, it shouldn't taint their abilities at assistant level. The Hanger is a toxic place to work with the coteries and the old network doing all the politicking in the background. Not to mention players dictating game style on the run mid season like they did this year.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes Happy Days, bornadog, Dry Rot, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The other angle out of Essendon that sits with what we do is Gia - hiring known commodities who have good relationships with people within the organisation etc.

If Essendon clear house of all their assistants then that leaves him looking for a role. We would appear to have space in a more senior assistant capacity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Ben Rutten had a strong CV as defensive line coach at Richmond prior to joining Essendon. He would be worth a chat to take over from Smith (assuming he is leaving) as defensive coach, especially considering Essendon will be paying any differential in 2023 between what we might offer him and the 600k he already has under contract next year.

Some coaches have a ceiling and cannot make the transition to senior coach, it shouldn't taint their abilities at assistant level. The Hanger is a toxic place to work with the coteries and the old network doing all the politicking in the background. Not to mention players dictating game style on the run mid season like they did this year.
    Can we have 2 trucks in the 1 club?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    The other angle out of Essendon that sits with what we do is Gia - hiring known commodities who have good relationships with people within the organisation etc.

If Essendon clear house of all their assistants then that leaves him looking for a role. We would appear to have space in a more senior assistant capacity.
    I think he went there to further expand his senior coaching opportunities but if Hird, Solomon and McVeigh are heading back he might be the odd one out.

I wonder if he would be interested in returning? He probably should look at another club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think he went there to further expand his senior coaching opportunities but if Hird, Solomon and McVeigh are heading back he might be the odd one out.

I wonder if he would be interested in returning? He probably should look at another club.
    That might be his preference, but we could also be aggressive if hes what we want - and its a potential premiership group he could be involved with

Post Thanks / Like

How do you think would Brendon Goddard go as a development coach or even as an assistant coach?

Post Thanks / Like

For all the pointing jokes we made he was rated decently highly for his leadership skills wasn't he? Boyd had similar tendencies and seems to have made a good coach too so maybe there's something there.